Quantcast

steerer tube 1/4" too short...ideas?

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
working on my budget build '02 FSR xc...bought an almost new '08 RS recon u-turn for $50. The steerer tube is cut to 7", I knew it was gonna be close. My old fork had a 7.25" steerer tube. The new steerer comes up a little over halfway through my stem without spacers...any ideas? lower stack headset? if so which one? Machine the lower end of the head tube 1/8" and the top 1/8" (dad is a machinist). Thanks

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
A Crankbrothers headset has the lowest stack height. I had that problem a few months ago. I think about the same measurements as well.

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
awesome...I just looked too and my KORE B52 stem has a 45mm stack height and the sunline V1 AM stem has a 34mm stack height...11mm diff is 7/16" which should do the trick if I'm correct about it all...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Get a HS with super low stack and a stem with the shortest collar you can find. Beyond that there's not much you can do. You want to make sure the top bolt of the stem isn't below the top of the steerer.

Last edited:

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
ok thanks guys....I read good and bad regarding the sunline and got one for only $18. I guess I'll know if it kills me...Any other opinions on a low stack stem? at 35mm or less I'm fine....or 40mm-ish and changing the headset which id rather not as it's a new cane creek. Thanks all

RUFUS....greats photos!

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Hard for a stem to be horrible unless it breaks and kills you IMO.
Loose tolerances in the frame and bad bearings are a few things that come to mind which make it a horrible stem.

You have to be careful installing the CB, but the tolerances are much better and the bearings are smooth and worthwhile.

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
RUFUS...I'm confused (might just be lack of coffee)...did you mean the CB headset is horrible? (you mentioned bearings and frame tolerances) or did you mean the Sunline V1 stem is horrible...and not that I have any reason NOT to believe you (after all I did post looking for info), but could you briefly explain why? Thanks bro....

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
RUFUS...I'm confused (might just be lack of coffee)...did you mean the CB headset is horrible? (you mentioned bearings and frame tolerances) or did you mean the Sunline V1 stem is horrible...and not that I have any reason NOT to believe you (after all I did post looking for info), but could you briefly explain why? Thanks bro....
I had horrible experiences with 4 sunline headsets for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. Some had good experiences.

I had great luck with the CB headsets but quite a few of them broke during installation. Correct installation and you are good to go.

Your results may vary. For the price you paid, why not give it a try.

Last edited:

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
so just to confirm...you're saying the sunline headset is crap...not necessarily their AM stems...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I was first taking about Sunline headsets. They are pure crap. Their stems are fine. I kept thinking of the other item when I was typing and not only confused myself but also everyone else. I'm dumb.

Sunline stems are great
Sunline headsets are crap
Crankbrothers headsets are great when installed carefully.

Carry on!

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
I know it's been awhile but I finally got to start riding again (shoulder surgery). Anyhow, RUFUS, thanks for the info, everything went together fine and you were right...the CB headset was a B**CH to install.

Kanza

Chimp
Jul 6, 2012
Spain
The acros headset is about the same side as CB rubbish and is not made of jello. Check them out, that and a spike spank, commencal max stem, dmr, etc are all low stack height stems. Combined these are approx 45mm stack.