Quantcast

Stem and Handle Bar choice???

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I've had good luck with atomlab GI series stuff. not exatly svelt, burly is more the word. it uses the 22.4 (?) mm BMX standard.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
That ody elemental is pretty sweet. I've got it on my bmx and I could swear I can feel the difference in weight. It has some obscene amount of clamping power, too. Not sure if that's going to get in the way of anything with yout standard MTB bars, but I love them on my bmx.

Only downside having to take the stem off to get the bars off.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm running Easton EA30 bars w/ a Powertools stem but it's because the set cost me like $20 (the bars were free).

Ideally I'd run something more like a Sic Classic stem with some EA50 bars.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
OS=crap imo stick with the standard not what might be the standard because big companies are pushing it because it saves them money.
Savings? As in big companies replacing fewer bent or broken bars? Please explain your reasoning. Hardly much short-term savings in developing an new standard with the associated enginneering, tooling and marketing expenses. Oversize bars seem like a sincere stab at improving the product.

What's not to like about 31.8?

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
Savings? As in big companies replacing fewer bent or broken bars? Please explain your reasoning. Hardly much short-term savings in developing an new standard with the associated enginneering, tooling and marketing expenses. Oversize bars seem like a sincere stab at improving the product.

What's not to like about 31.8?
The way I understood it is that 31.8 came about in the MTB world as a means of techno carryover from the Road realm of things.

This way companies like the big S and whatnot can run the same stems on their MTB and Road completes - thereby saving them some costs in the long run.

As for what's not to like about 31.8, I personally think 25.4 looks cleaner, and i've run into lever resoirvoir clearance issues on 31.8 bars with the taper from 22.2 to 31.8

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
I dont like those... I would if they ahad a removable face plate, I dont like having to take everything of just to take the bars off.....

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I wish somebody would take on the task of making a lighter weight 22.2 riser that didn't bend like a wet noodle. I like the GI's but they are heavy...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I wish somebody would take on the task of making a lighter weight 22.2 riser that didn't bend like a wet noodle. I like the GI's but they are heavy...
I like steel 22.2 bars best myself for park and trails. You won't get them as light as alloy bars tho. I run .049 wall Profiles that are stil heavier than Answer ProTapers or even Deity's. The Profiles have been slightly bent for a while and as such wouldn't want anything less than .065 for my next pair. .083 wall is probably best for pure street and no crossbars.

dirtdevil

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Coto de Caza
:cheers: if your looking for a solid lightwieght pair of bars you should look at my signature Atomlab bars. 22.2 tapered chromoly, 3inch rise. They only come in black and the price is right....... Bob!

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
standard bar size is my favorite due to the fact that you can chop them down and still have a good lever position. i'm a hatter of deity, my personal favs for stems are dangerboy, sic, and thomson. for bars easton ea70's aswell as sic's.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I'd hold off for one of these: (nemesis project stem)

Hellz yea there almost ready too :happydance:
I prefer Easton bars 25.4 or 31.8 they both feel good and Eastons 31.8 bars dont feel fat as they taper up to the bent and not past it .

As for 25.4 chromonly bars I have something in the works made from TrueTemper OX platinum that should fit the bill for a nice light but strong chromoly jumping bar that can be used with bmx stems.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
if a boxxer a answer protaper with a E13 direct stem

otherwise protapers and thompson

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
its been hard keeping my mouth shut about the stems. they are gonna be sick nasty.
ohh and the nemesis bars are gonna come in 42 inch width

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
its been hard keeping my mouth shut about the stems. they are gonna be sick nasty.
ohh and the nemesis bars are gonna come in 42 inch width
OMGomg $% i want to run 97in wide bars

brad will the bars come in 1,1.5, and 2in rises?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
OMGomg $% i want to run 97in wide bars

brad will the bars come in 1,1.5, and 2in rises?
The new steel bars will probley come in 1.5 and something crazy like 2.60 or something , I like my 2.5 eastons and hate the 3in chase bars I had so I want something in between !!

They will be pretty light and VERY strong , the bar will be a custom made piece of OX platinum tubeing cnc mandrel bent intot he bar .
I was at the bender yesterday going over what's possible for this project .

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
The new steel bars will probley come in 1.5 and something crazy like 2.60 or something , I like my 2.5 eastons and hate the 3in chase bars I had so I want something in between !!

They will be pretty light and VERY strong , the bar will be a custom made piece of OX platinum tubeing cnc mandrel bent intot he bar .
Brad please keep us updated on the bars and stem, i'm very interested and will be needing 2 stems and 3 bars soon.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That ody elemental is pretty sweet. I've got it on my bmx and I could swear I can feel the difference in weight. It has some obscene amount of clamping power, too. Not sure if that's going to get in the way of anything with yout standard MTB bars, but I love them on my bmx.

Only downside having to take the stem off to get the bars off.
Hey, with the Ody Elemental, do you just have to take the stem off to get the bars off of the stem? Or, do you have to take a grip and lever off, as well?

And, does anybody know the weight of the SIC Chase 3" bars? Lighter than DD's A-Lab cig bars?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY

cool. i like my 2in chase bars alot. something with similar backsweep would be dope in ox platinum

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
cool. i like my 2in chase bars alot. something with similar backsweep would be dope in ox platinum

They wont have as much back sweep as the Chases , but a bit more than protapers and easton bars do now , something more designed for mtb street not DH and jsut mounted to a "urban " bike !

Stems will start showing up the week befoe christmas , so if you want one email me quick so we can get you on the list were not makiing many of these at a time and they will come stock ith hollow allen bolts to save weight :happydance:

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
And, does anybody know the weight of the SIC Chase 3" bars? Lighter than DD's A-Lab cig bars?

id wager so with them being Alum and che A-labs stainless. i do remember they felt just a tad bit heavier than my easton bars.

edit,, found this

"It is light, about the same as any of the upper end Easton offerings"

easton ea70, 265g..

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
id wager so with them being Alum and che A-labs stainless. i do remember they felt just a tad bit heavier than my easton bars.

edit,, found this

"It is light, about the same as any of the upper end Easton offerings"

easton ea70, 265g..
So, you're sayin the Chase come in at 265g compared to 600g for the Jes Cig bars??? That's a huge difference. Can that be right?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
So, you're sayin the Chase come in at 265g compared to 600g for the Jes Cig bars??? That's a huge difference. Can that be right?
they chase bars have to wieght a bit more than eastons.. but even if they come in at 350g.. thats still 250g less or half pound.. ask Ricky if theyre heavy, hes got em...

i just was looking at wieghts of your average DH riser bar in alum. range from 250-350g.. Sic uses good materials so id say the 350g guess may be on the heavy side.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Stems will start showing up the week befoe christmas , so if you want one email me quick so we can get you on the list were not makiing many of these at a time and they will come stock ith hollow allen bolts to save weight :happydance:
the black market stem i have now is under 7oz (197g), even less then the odyssey elementary. will yours be lighter? what would motivate me to get one of yours? will you do a 25.4 version or just 22.2? whats your angle for selling these? give me the hard sell brad

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
the black market stem i have now is under 7oz (197g), even less then the odyssey elementary. will yours be lighter? what would motivate me to get one of yours? will you do a 25.4 version or just 22.2? whats your angle for selling these? give me the hard sell brad
I got the first prototype in last night , it's lighter then my NYC freeride and the overall design is wider than most stems .
I'll post photos of it on the website later today .

Currently the first run of prototypes are 31.8 clamp .
But we will also be doing a 25.4 version that will be a bit smaller overall and also lighter .

The steel 22.2mm bar that doesnt suck or bend quickly is just something I have wanted to do for a wile now so people can run bmx stems on their mtb's .