Quantcast

Stem length for bunny hopping?

kzuma

Chimp
Apr 24, 2007
are shorter stems better for bunny hopping? i know freeride stems are generally shorter, but i have no idea why.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
its the finish when the stem isnt cut properly. i find inverting the stem, or pointing it twards your body so its -90mm or so from the fork makes you hop a lot higher

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Good stuff but I disagree on one point. Personally I really like a 50mm stem and a 1" or 1.5" rise bar. I like a low, short, slack, tight rearend, mid-length tt, low bb, setup. IMO that combination makes a bike VERY forgiving, quick, and comfortable at the same time. That's a tough combo to achieve.

To make a long story short: Yes a shorter stem will make bunny-hopping easier but you still need a cockpit that is long enough to be comfortable.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
speaking of which:

david, i do believe you're quite quotable on the same level. from above:

"...I like a low, short, slack, tight rearend..."

now that's signature material! and aside from the slack part, i'm totally down.

kzuma

Chimp
Apr 24, 2007
alright, i think im gonna try out a 50mm/0 thomson elite with maybe a 1 or 2 inch riser. thanks for the help

scottboy

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
i have a komodo and with a 110 mm stem/lower rise bar swapped to 60mm 0 rise stem and bars with 2inch rise- didnt seem to make a bit of difference in how high i could bunnyhop- but manualing comes much easier

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
length of stem doesnt matter too much. its all preference. trials guys with long stems can hop just as high as bmx'ers or street riders with 50mm stems or vice versa