Quantcast

Stems - how long do you run for DH racing?

How long is the stem on your DH race bike?

• Total voters

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Just a quick survey to see what the trend is at the moment for DH racing stems.

I'd have thought for a race bike slightly longer would be better to get more weight on the front wheel, but most people around here still run 50mm stems. So what do you lot run?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
65mm. I am 6'2 and ride a large Morewood Izimu. I love how it makes my bike feel. Perfect size for me and really allows me to get my weight over the front wheel and keep plenty of traction in corners. I would not be happy on anything shorter...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not any options if you want to run a direct mount. I currently run an e13 at the long setting....55mm. I would like to try 60 if it was an option.

The e13 was the ONLY direct mount that I could find over 50.....:disgust:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I don't know how much these numbers do unless you know more about the bike and rider size.

I think the only steady answer is going to be whatever works for people. Its going to vary based on terrain, bike, fork. I know I like my bars close to me but as in-line with the forks angle as possible. Makes the steeps feel better at speed. I also like a pretty slack head tube angle unless I am doing freeride or jumps.

I have a direct mount FUNN on an o7 boxxer. I have it on the closest setting but have not had time to ride the bike since the install so it all may change.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
one thing I do know is that if you run a longer stem you'll get your weight forward giving you more traction. Companies should make 60 mm direct mount stems!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
35-40 is by far best for steering(responsive),but you don't get enough leverage for controlling(lifting) the rear in the air,so I think 50-60 is the best compramise.Providing your frames the right size.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Do people really change stems for the course?

50mm, by the way...
I know Minaar used to back in the Haro days...

Personally, i run 50mm on all my bikes. Any longer and I don't like the "feel" of the bars rotating around my head tube rather than turning the fork.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I believe the MZ integrated on the 06+ 888's is 55(54.?!$%) - so thats what Im using on an XL VPF, I used to run a 70mm on Bullit for DH, but VPF is a little longer and np liftiing the front end easily with the short stem.

And per the above message, once it is answered, I will be sure to adjust my stem to match Sam................

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
I believe the MZ integrated on the 06+ 888's is 55(54.?!$%) - so thats what Im using on an XL VPF, I used to run a 70mm on Bullit for DH, but VPF is a little longer and np liftiing the front end easily with the short stem.

And per the above message, once it is answered, I will be sure to adjust my stem to match Sam................
Actually I am curious...

I think many more 50mm stems are sold to dhers than 65mm stems... but I also wonder what causes people to think a 50mm is better than a 65mm? That's why I asked what Sam Hill runs?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Not any options if you want to run a direct mount. I currently run an e13 at the long setting....55mm. I would like to try 60 if it was an option.

The e13 was the ONLY direct mount that I could find over 50.....:disgust:
Dave

Check out SIC. I have a boxxer 25.4 clamp in 60mm reach direct mount stem. Perfect for me, im 185cm and ride a 04-06 medium DHR. Not 100% sure they still make them though.

This was the only 25.4 clamp 60mm stem i could find that is DH worthy. Everyone is going 31.8 these days.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Actually I am curious...

I think many more 50mm stems are sold to dhers than 65mm stems... but I also wonder what causes people to think a 50mm is better than a 65mm? That's why I asked what Sam Hill runs?
Steve pete and rennie were running custom 60mm burgtec boxxer stems. Alot of tall guys should probably be using 60mm stems. Sam is short, he probably runs 45 or 50mm.

Actually Dave, thats another option for you, 60mm burgtec boxxer stem, very very $$ though.