Quantcast

Steve Peat's / Nathan Rennie Santa Cruz V-10

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
talked to the Santa Cruz mechanics Ed Chavez and Matthiu Dupelle about the setups on both Rennie and Peat's bikes after the seeding runs. "The two greatest differences between the two bikes is the suspension setup, Rennie's is harder. Tyres also is a big area of difference. Peaty always goes with a little harder compound and a narrower tyre (a 2.2" on the back).

Nathan does a little adjustment to the upshift lever on the XO shifter and he also runs way wider bars, almost 20m wider - Nathan runs little extensions on them actually (little solid aluminium ones). Peaty doesn't use lock-on grips like a lot of other riders. The grip on them is better than most of the lock ons and he doesn't like the metal edge on the lock-ons.

"The greatest similarity between the bikes is that they both have Nathan Rennie stickers on them! Nathan likes Peaty's bike so much he put his sticker on it. Steve's got a sense of humour though so he just left it on. It does confuse people though!

"We'll probably keep the setups the same right up through to the race because it won't dry out too much and there is a lot of loose dirt up there and a lot of moisture, that and showers are forecast for Friday and Saturday's race day. "
Spec differences

The two greatest differences between the bikes is the suspension setup, Rennie's is harder. Tyres are also a big area of difference. Peaty always goes with a little harder compound and a narrower tyre (a 2.2 on the back).

Rennie does a little adjustment to the upshift lever on the XO shifter and he also runs much wider bars, almost 20m wider. he runs little extensions on them actually - little solid aluminium ones. Peaty doesn't use lock-on grips like alot of other riders. The grip on them is better than most of the lock ons and he doesn't like the metal edge on the lock-ons.

The rear end with full SRAM throughout and Holzfeller OCT cranks topped off with MRP carbon chain device.

Looking down the barrel of the gun on Peat's bike.

The same setup at the front end as Rennie.

Looks can be deceiving , Rennie has left his mark on Peat’s steed.

Did I mention that Peat is patriotic? The grips and headset cups.

SRAM XO short cage rear derailleur on Peat's bike - it's very short.

The fastest bike in seeding at the ’06 World Championships - Rennie’s Santa Cruz V-10.

Rennie’s bike with that lovely carbon mudguard , SRAM and some hard-worn cranks.

Rennies bike has World Cup Boxxers on the Black Box programme - all business up front.

Down low on Rennie's bike.

A custom filing job on the XO up-shift lever for Rennie.

Patriotic as ever - Peat’s Santa Cruz V-10 sporting the Union Jack design.

Full specification - Steve Peat's bike

Frame: Santa Cruz V-10 Aluminium
Fork: Rockshox Boxxer World Cup Black Box
Rear Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 w titanium spring custom tuned by Push.

Stem: Chromag direct mount
Handlebar: Hozzerfeller DH Riserbar
Headset: Chris King - Blue and Red cups

Brakes: Code callipers
Rotors: Shimano XTR
Brake Levers: Avid Ultimate Black Box levers w. Code callipers

Rear Derailleur: SRAM XO short cage
Front Derailleur: MRP Carbon (with thicker plate than usual)

Crankset: OCT Holzerfeller
Chain: SRAM 991 hollowpin
Cassette: SRAM 990 12-24

Tires: Maxxis Wet Scream Super Tacky (lighter tube in the back than the front)
Hubs: DT
Rims: DT
Spokes: DT
Wheels: DT Swiss Fr2350 Wheelset

Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Seat Post: Truvativ Team World Cup seatpost

Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I know this is a Maxxis wetscream but the hell is,"?? compound" in white lettering at teh lefthand side of the pic?

Attachments

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
20m wider? goddamn...

Oh and I'm surprised they run the full length rear mudguard. Most riders I know cut them down so prevent accidents of the personal and painful variety.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Nice post!

Been away for a while, but that was a treasure trove of some really good stuff.

...interesting though - with Peaty being a stickler for weight savings from time to time, I find it interesting that he's using the Code brakes which are around 80g heavier per system instead of the Black Box Juicy 7's... and why use the ultimate levers?

I know Hill is running the same set-up, but aside from saving a few grams over the regular code levers, what's to gain? Better lever feel? More adjustability?

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Sure is.

It rides nice, and the suspension is amazing. Its a bit rough, but I am riding better than ever so I don't really care how it looks.

Whoever said pro bikes are no different was kidding themselves.

Regards,

LBJ

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Geo seems the same ( from a quick measure up ), But the suspension setup was more what I was talking about. The rear shock has been pushed, and up front i am not sure, its just great.

Suppose I won't know till I service the fork. I came off a std 303 which is a great bike, but the V10 just seems to give me confidence.

LBJ:D

metaltwitch

Chimp
Nov 9, 2008
Geo seems the same ( from a quick measure up ), But the suspension setup was more what I was talking about. The rear shock has been pushed, and up front i am not sure, its just great.

Suppose I won't know till I service the fork. I came off a std 303 which is a great bike, but the V10 just seems to give me confidence.

LBJ:D

You really think you have Rennie's bike ?? This bike you have is totaly stock...and the suspension is stock and everything, it has team paint job right, but that is how you sell bikes better.;)
Custom frames and suspen. that pro riders uses are not avaliable for the public, be sure about that:thumb:

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
You really think you have Rennie's bike ?? This bike you have is totaly stock...and the suspension is stock and everything, it has team paint job right, but that is how you sell bikes better.;)
Custom frames and suspen. that pro riders uses are not avaliable for the public, be sure about that:thumb:
Explain then how a friend of mine has Greg Minnaars old Orange 222 from his global racing days?

metaltwitch

Chimp
Nov 9, 2008
Explain then how a friend of mine has Greg Minnaars old Orange 222 from his global racing days?

the same way, what is here to explain:confused:
some parts like stem, bars, wheels, seat, cranks,chainguide, brakes could be greg minnaar's, but black box suspension and some custom frames can t be;)

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
the same way, what is here to explain:confused:
some parts like stem, bars, wheels, seat, cranks,chainguide, brakes could be greg minnaar's, but black box suspension and some custom frames can t be;)

Dude, the frame is legit... calm down. It's not f'n NASA, Peaty could probably give a sh;t about yet another race frame.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
You really think you have Rennie's bike ?? This bike you have is totaly stock...

As a matter of fact. Apart from this year where the whole Syndicate team is on custom V10s(maybe not Josh). The only Syndicate rider to EVER have a custom frame was Steve Peat (last year i think) Rennie allways shredded a off the shelf large:thumb:

Oh an i personally had a pair of ex John Kirkcaldie factory foes f1s on my old original Intense m1 back in the day....complete with custom internals an settings.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It is a downhill bike not a F1 car, chill guy.

I have seen many pros sell bikes online and locally.

Even if the frame has tweaked geo who cares? it is not rocket science to change geo.

I agree that the bikes may not always be sold with the same suspension internals that the pros used but then again those guys have that $hit tuned differently for different tracks so who knows and who cares?