Quantcast

Stevens Pass winter DH ??

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
So, I've scoured the forum and Stevens Pass website looking for info about an 06-07 Winter DH race, but dont see a thing on the schedule. Is it out this year? I was hoping to make a return to my first and only race, in which I won...... how I dunno? Fun? Heck ya!!!!! Any news, pass it on. :biggrin:

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
that was so sketchy riding brookes up last year but it was hella fun! they better do it this year....

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
stevens pass does DH racing?
wow I did not know this.

All this time I've been skiing up there, when I could be riding my bike!
I take it you all race with your expensive 100bucks a piece studded tires?

hmmm:bonk:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
damn thats sweet.
I would do it, just how hard is it?

Theres no way I would hit brookes park on my bike thats for sure (the regular area...sure, not the park though) And I dont have any armor other then a full face and shin guards...think I could get away with that?

hmm.
I wana DO IT! :-)

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
all youd need is a full face, falling on snow is pretty forgiving, and im pretty sure the course runs through brooks, the faaar left side looking down the mountain, over all of the small doubles.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
OMG...I so want to do that....I think I may even be tempted to hit the training park jumps....*even though it would be scarier then **** to land*

yeah someone please find out details on it for this year?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
well after some googling I found that last year the event seemed to be on December 16th *someone posted on the 17th how awsome the comp. was...so im asuming that was the next day* And I sent Stevens an Email...they probly dont want to advertise it because to many people will come for just one lift. I'll let you guys know on what stevens says.

but yeah if anyone has done the actually competition before, can you fill us all in? Im curious like what they judge you on, if it was hard to stick the landings, ect.

thanks.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
heres the response I got...

Mr. E.,

We are indeed hosting the downhill BikerCross race this season on APRIL 1st.

We're still in the planning phase but the NO FOOLING bike event will be fun and promise thrills, spills and chills.

Hope you'll be there.

Matt Gormley
Stevens Pass Youth Marketing and Events Manager
206.812.4510 x 4255
"We're putting the party back in skiing."
Apparently I didnt emphasize "WINTER" races enough...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
heres the email I got about the freeze ride.

Mr. E,

I'm not sure what the Freeze Ride was, but we did have a dh mtn. bike race last December.
We are having the race in the spring this year on April 1st.

Matt Gormley
Stevens Pass Youth Marketing and Events Manager
206.812.4510 x 4255
"We're putting the party back in skiing."

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Works for me, less cold so the need for full on snow clothing will probably be much less, the snow will be softer, still be just as fun I think. Thanks for letting us know!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah no problem, I think it will be fun to ride for DH...but I duno how well the snow jumps *if any* will be.

I wish they had 2 comps though, one on the 16th and one in april...that sounds like a fun way to spend my winter break.

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
but yeah if anyone has done the actually competition before, can you fill us all in? Im curious like what they judge you on, if it was hard to stick the landings, ect.

thanks.
they judge you on what place you come. last year 4 riders would race at a time and the first 2 would advance to the next heat and so one. there werent that many people so i didnt take that long. all the jumps were optional and the landing werent that hard to stick as long as you arent all messed up in the air. although it is kind of sketchy going in to corners but thats the fun of it. and April! thats a long ways away:rant:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
awsome dan, thanks...doesnt sound super hard...like you said the corners are gana be the hard part

and April! thats a long ways away:rant:
and yeah no kidding, when i found out the last one was in december i was super excited....then i find out its in april :-/

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
probly...but it must be to hard to do during a high peak season like this year. They probly judged that from the early snow we go this yea that it will still be decent in April, and that way the skiers and snowboarders arnt bummed from brookes being closed to them.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
What kind of a bike would be suggested for racing there? DH bike? seems like it would almost be overkill. Sounds like a good place for a 4x bike. Am i wrong in assuming so?

What kind of tires? I would also assume that wider tires would make more sence than studded. It's not really that icy, and you'd want to stay on top of the snow rather than sinking down into it. 2.5 minnion DHF all around?

What were some of the setups for last year?... other than a bunny suit

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
I think if I go, which I probably will, I'm going to try and find some cheap 3.0 tires for front and maybe a 2.6 for the rear. Maybe some Kujo DH or something, just need a cheap fix.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
3.0 would definitely give you the most surface area, however less tire clearance and less snow clearance on most bikes and forks. Unless your tire choice sheds mud/snow really well.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
.....last year I ran my Big Hit Expert with 5# of pressure in front and rear (yeah, basically flat) . It worked great for me and I never fell down the whole day, Of course thats how I won the final, everyone else took a digger. Last year though, it was about 20 degrees, not too mention the windchill, so the snow was very firm, dry, and very stable! A race in April will definately be a whole different story. Cant wait!:happydance:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah ill probly buy a mud tred for front asleast, so i can steer...the looser snow will definatly play a new factor for the race though.

I cant wait.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
on snow i dont think durometer makes any difference
There's nothing to grip to, so you're right. I believe that a harder durometer would actually be better because the knobs would be more stiff and wouldn't fold so easy.