Quantcast

Stiffer Spring for Travis?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Does anyone know who has stiffer springs in stock? Searching around hasn't gotten me very far. Seems at 180lb I'm just in the range where I will need one stiffer spring or else risk blowing cartridges. Also does anyone know the minimum amount of stanchion you need to have for a 203mm fork, they decided to not put minimum or maximum lines on the fork for some damn reason. I'm reckoning 8.3 inches is enough, but it's hard to tell if the arch would come into contact with the downtube right around then...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Well, the next stiffer spring is far, far too stiff. The best reccomendation I have it so use 10wt fluid, add a positive air charge to the bottom of the damper leg for bottom out resistance, get a tpc+ compression damper, and play with fluid heights until it hydraulic locks before it hard-bottoms damper-shaft to damper-shaft

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well to answer your question for you i know that bti-usa use to be able to get a hold of the spring. also your local shop should be able to get you the right spring from manitou direct.

also as for the stantion that is showing i know they say in the manual. i know that you need to measure from the tire to the crown on that fork and then add 5-10mm to be safe. as the top of the lowers are well below the top of the tire

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
sam- take your spring out and push the fork down until it stops. that is how i measure clearance.

also i am on the xtra stiff spring and i weigh 160. i guess i hit a lot of stuff.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well, not being too familiar with the spring side of the travis (fixed a few dampers tho) id say why not try and fit a boxxer spring in there? i mean, it should fit, same travel, smaller diameter stanchion (good in this case) and readily available.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
I have them in stock in my garage (both 180 and 203mm in firm and x-firm). I have no idea what they might cost, but email me if you can't find them anywhere and we'll figure something fair out.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Dave-
yeah, I was just trying to find out the distance without doing it the hard way ;) I'll be changing out the oil after a few hours, I'll just do it then. I know the feeling of hitting alot of stuff. My goal is only one set of bent cranks this year.
sam- take your spring out and push the fork down until it stops. that is how i measure clearance.

also i am on the xtra stiff spring and i weigh 160. i guess i hit a lot of stuff.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You can undo the left top cap and just compress the fork. Its pretty damn easy and no need to wait until you change the oil. If you can't take the five minutes to do this, then you don't deserve help over the internet. Sorry for being so blunt, but you could haver done it in the time it took for Mickey to answer you.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I have no problem doing that, I'm just completely unfamiliar with the internals of the Travis being that I do not have a manual for it and my last two forks have been 888's. I wasn't aware that I would be able to fully compress the fork without oil spurting. Don't have to worry about being blunt, I'm not particularly emotionally attached to my e-alter ego on here.

You can undo the left top cap and just compress the fork. Its pretty damn easy and no need to wait until you change the oil. If you can't take the five minutes to do this, then you don't deserve help over the internet. Sorry for being so blunt, but you could haver done it in the time it took for Mickey to answer you.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Don't have to worry about being blunt, I'm not particularly emotionally attached to my e-alter ego on here.
Thats refreshing.

But its really, really easy. You may have some oil drip of the coils, but it definitely won't spurt, since the cartridge is closed and in the other leg. The oil in the bottom of the lowers is the lubrication oil and its zero weight, synthetic motor oil (ala Mobile One) and their is about 90 ccs in the bottom of each leg.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I found what appears to be a manual for all Manitou forks on their site... wtf is up with hbsuspension.com being their URL... And I was asking the questions because I was flying blind, not because I'm lazy when it comes to bike work. Otherwise I probably wouldn't of rebuilt my hadley out of boredom yesterday and turned some barends on the lathe.. I am lazy when it comes to making a living however. :twitch:

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
Hey Doug:

Got a read on what they did from last season to this on the fork? I have my theorys, but curious if you have done any work on the inside. I gutted one of them the other day and things looked to be in order....

PM me back and let me know what you know.

Brennan