Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Loco Sucks

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Ok, so now that I've been in college for a few weeks, I've narrowed down what I want to study. I've decided on a minor in outdoor leadership, and I think for a major I either want to major in Wildlife Biology focusing on Ichthyology (fish) and become a fishery biologist or something similar, OR, I want to major in Pre-Med and be some sort of doctor. So, what do you guys think? What's you're opinion? wheres the money? Whats an easier major?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
burleyshirley swims with the fishes....ask him about it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you want to make some serious coin, go to med school and become a plastic surgeon specializing in ear lobe reconstruction. By the time you get done with residency there will be a growing demand for your skills.

Dolla, dolla bill yo !

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
If you want to make some serious coin, go to med school and become a plastic surgeon specializing in ear lobe reconstruction. By the time you get done with residency there will be a growing demand for your skills.

Dolla, dolla bill yo !
At first glance I was thinking "woah....them be some ****ed up vaginas."

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
Pre-med is not for you.
This, coming from a pre-med major. And YOU have to figure out what YOU want to do, you can't base the rest of your life on where the money is, you need to be happy. If it comes between those two majors right now (assuming you are a freshman) most lower level bio classes you'll take will be required for either one of those majors.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
two problems with that idea.

1. mooshoo is gonna dump all his money into that Diesel dumping truck, thus not being able to afford tattoo removal.

2. removing tatoos would put you perilessly close to him, and vastly increase your chances of being infected with the moron disease.

something to actually contribute, are you going to Les McRae, i thought i read banner elk, nc in your sig. if so i know several racers who studied/are studying there, one of which is in wildlife biology, maybe they could give you further insight.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
something to actually contribute, are you going to Les McRae, i thought i read banner elk, nc in your sig. if so i know several racers who studied/are studying there, one of which is in wildlife biology, maybe they could give you further insight.
You mean Ben? I've talked to him about it alot it. He's part of the reason why its narrowed down to these two

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Most of your entry level classes ought to be similar. Also, you can be a history major and apply to med school, as long as you also take the required amount of chem, bio and physics classes. However, if you are even sort of concerned about which major is easier, my advice is don't go pre-med.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Oh - and I always have a b1tch of a time deciding between "bacon" and "loco sucks" in these polls...
:stupid:
two problems with that idea.

1. mooshoo is gonna dump all his money into that Diesel dumping truck, thus not being able to afford tattoo removal.

2. removing tatoos would put you perilessly close to him, and vastly increase your chances of being infected with the moron disease.
:rofl::rofl:
+rep

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm majoring in being lazy and going for the 10 year degree. I've changed my major so many times that I keep adding more and more time on. Pretty stupid of me really.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
are you chasing the $$ or are you more interested in being happy?

I voted for Wildlife Bio. Consider the difference between $$ and job satisfaction (happiness).

if you're still undecided, major in Kinesiology (sp). Lotsa hot chicks in that major

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There's obviously money in being a doctor. If you need people to convince you that's the way to go, then it's probably not for you. I would have loved to be a doctor and think it would have been a great fit, but I made it though school (including a college Chem degree) without doing crap and relying on my good memory. Med school is a bitch. I came to terms with that and decided it was was more work than I was willing to put in as I valued my free time and hated school for the most part. I didn't mind going to class, it was all the extra crap outside of class I hated when I would rather be doing other things.

Neither of those is an easy education path and you also have to look at what kinds of jobs you think will be available when you get out....

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
ou mean Ben? I've talked to him about it alot it. He's part of the reason why its narrowed down to these two
Today 07:59 AM
yeah Hulse is a good friend and very enthusiastic about the major, i got an environmental degree from SUNY environmental Science and Forestry there were some serious Ichthyologists there, them made it seem like a productive and positive field. go for it! best of luck!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Unless you are strongly considering a graduate degree, I would steer clear of Wildlife/Fisheries unless you want to be a wildlife officer/park ranger, or spend most of your career battling to land seasonal jobs with few benefits and low pay just so you can be involved with research. You're highly unlikely to land a job as an actual biologist with just a B.Sc.

It's not a path I would recommend someone just choosing on a whim because it sounds fun. Go spend several days volunteering/doing the work before you commit to it. In fact, I'll be working this weekend not too far from where you're at if you want some hands on. PM me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless you are strongly considering a graduate degree, I would steer clear of Wildlife/Fisheries unless you want to be a wildlife officer/park ranger, or spend most of your career battling to land seasonal jobs with few benefits and low pay just so you can be involved with research. You're highly unlikely to land a job as an actual biologist with just a B.Sc.

It's not a path I would recommend someone just choosing on a whim because it sounds fun. Go spend several days volunteering/doing the work before you commit to it. In fact, I'll be working this weekend not too far from where you're at if you want some hands on. PM me.
You want him to research his major? :panic:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Geology ?
This. Depending on what you concentrate in (i.e. what area of geology), you'll have continued employment and your choice of countries. If you've got basic geology under your belt, you'll be able to work into either environmental (there will always be the need to monitor and clean up superfund sites) or mineral resources (the demand for raw materials isn't going to drop).

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008

Any weekend but this weekend would have been good. We have an away mtb race at clemson so I'll be gone all weekend

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
are you at school to race or get an education?

might be worth missing one weekend of racing to see if the major youre considering is the kind of thing you want to do after school. you dont get too many first hand opportunities that Burley is offering up. At least I didnt.

just a consideration... college racing is good times too.