Quantcast

Stolen Bike Alert

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My DH bike was stolen from my kitchen early this morning, in Baltimore MD. Please keep an eye out

2009 Morewood Izimu
Crank Bros wheels
Cane Creek DB
Formula the Ones
2009 Boxxer Team
Maxxis High Rollers

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Unfortunately we had a big party last night for my birthday and the back door was left unlocked. It was there at 930am when I got up to get a drink and when I got back up at 1030 it was gone and I saw the back gate open.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
will keep an eye out on the local trails. luckily for you, i don't think that bike can be taken anywhere without anyone noticing. will pass the word at the shed as well as avalon/patapsco.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry Matt, that sucks.
Out of your own damn kitchen?

Frickin Baltimore.

"Brother Mouzone: I see you favor a .45.
Omar: At night I do. And I keeps one in the chamber in case you ponderin' "

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Im keeping a look out on the DC side. I check CL regularly so if I see anything I'll try to "buy" it off him, and administer the fatal beating.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm on the fence about wether it was someone from the party or someone that can see into my backyard. The weird thing is that it wasn't stolen during the party or even in the darkness after the party. It was stolen between 9am and 1030am, both my roommate and I saw the bike around 9am and when I looked out the back window around 1030am I noticed the back gate open so went downstairs to check and it was gone. I ran up and down the alley and also jumped in my truck and did a few laps of the surrounding blocks but didn't see anything. I think it might have been someone that saw it while the party was happening and returned the next morning with a truck.

I'm leaving work early today to take some pictures of the bike to the local police station.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
That sucks man!

When my bike was stolen, I got it back by giving out info to the local shops. One of the owners got a call from a customer asking about a bike some tweaker was trying to sell him - turned out it was my GT. I was lucky, got it back.

Just an idea! Hope it turns up!

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Daaaamn, we just talked about your wheels too, I guess that's the least of your worries right now. Here's hoping that justice will prevail.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you can search craigslist easily by typing

"what you're looking for" site:craigslist.org

right into google. Try looking for specific parts and that should lead you to the owner.

I once found a fellers tazer that had been stolen. the new "owner" had flipped the link and painted the bike, but it was there, and intact, in a similar area. I never found out if he got it back, but I pointed him to the ad at least.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Damn Matt sorry to hear about your bike! ill keep an eye out up here at Diablo when it opens if it doesnt return by then.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Im in Bmore city. What area did it get snagged from?
Canton.

Let me ask this, there is only one person from the party that I currently think it could be. It's a really good friend of my roommate, he was the only person to spend the night and my roommate said he saw my bike was still here when the guy left but his car go towed so my roommate had to drive him to get his car and pay the 280 impound fee. I think he might have been bitter that my friend told him where to park and he got towed. He also knew exactly where the alley was that leads to our backyard because he originally parked his car in it that night. I also know for a fact he drives a truck. What should I do?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Canton.

Let me ask this, there is only one person from the party that I currently think it could be. It's a really good friend of my roommate, he was the only person to spend the night and my roommate said he saw my bike was still here when the guy left but his car go towed so my roommate had to drive him to get his car and pay the 280 impound fee. I think he might have been bitter that my friend told him where to park and he got towed. He also knew exactly where the alley was that leads to our backyard because he originally parked his car in it that night. I also know for a fact he drives a truck. What should I do?
not jump to conclusions?

or maybe just give him a call and tell him to keep his eyes open? and ask if he saw anything fishy

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Canton.

Might be a good idea to set up a google alert. I'm sure you would have to sift through a good bit of garbage, but you never know...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
not jump to conclusions?

or maybe just give him a call and tell him to keep his eyes open? and ask if he saw anything fishy
My roommate did call him. I also called a few of my friends to ask if there was anyone that stuck out as being particularly interested in my bike and two of my friends named this same guy. I also ran the idea by my other roommate (not his friend) and he said that he could also see him as the culprit. I also found out the guy lives in Falls Church VA, about 1.5 hours from me.

I think he was pissed about having to pay the impound fee, drove his truck back to my house (which is on the way) backed up into the alley, grabbed the bike, threw it in the back of his truck and drove back to VA safely outside the immediate investigation area.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My roommate did call him. I also called a few of my friends to ask if there was anyone that stuck out as being particularly interested in my bike and two of my friends named this same guy. I also ran the idea by my other roommate (not his friend) and he said that he could also see him as the culprit. I also found out the guy lives in Falls Church VA, about 1.5 hours from me.

I think he was pissed about having to pay the impound fee, drove his truck back to my house (which is on the way) backed up into the alley, grabbed the bike, threw it in the back of his truck and drove back to VA safely outside the immediate investigation area.
the only reasonable thing is just stake it out and see, possibly fish him... Chances are its at a friends house and unless your willing to hang and wait your pretty much screwed till they mess up if at all or tell someone...

I personally dont have time to deal with the **** so If asked and their body language says otherwise then we just cut out the wasted time and get to the results... (disclaimer: a record will keep you from getting a job and other stuff so dont be a fool)

Good luck and I do hope you get it back....:thumb:

If he did it given the circumstances then hes without a question not too smart... He'd be the first one to focus on... Not to say he wasnt a complete dill hole but see if any neighbords had web cams going or remember any trucks or cars... Check the local gas station video cameras or atm ones via banks and see if you see a truck with your bike in it...

I did this at my shop when it got robbed and handed a load of ionfo to the cops to go on, saw the truck etc...

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I only have a first name and asking my roommate for his buddy's last name will only set off red flags. I have a long time friend that lives in Falls Church and I e-mailed him some Fliers I made and he is going to take them to local shops. If I get more info on the individual in question I'm going to do a bit more digging and possibly pay VA a visit.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I only have a first name and asking my roommate for his buddy's last name will only set off red flags. I have a long time friend that lives in Falls Church and I e-mailed him some Fliers I made and he is going to take them to local shops. If I get more info on the individual in question I'm going to do a bit more digging and possibly pay VA a visit.
If your roomate cant respect the fact your looking into it then you need to evaluate him and possibly anyone hes around...
Its your givin right and someone took it, process of elimination.

You paid money for it and not ashtray coins either the price sets the bar the disrespect from individuals sets the out come...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
You know that his truck was towed. Ask your roommate in a casual manner which company towed the truck. Find out the name, go to the company describe the situation and ask for a last name..maybe get the police involved to get a name.

If it were me, I would drive the 1.5 hrs in a heartbeat..even on suspicion.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
You know that his truck was towed. Ask your roommate in a casual manner which company towed the truck. Find out the name, go to the company describe the situation and ask for a last name..maybe get the police involved to get a name.

If it were me, I would drive the 1.5 hrs in a heartbeat..even on suspicion.
I could just walk down to the parking garage and see who the towing company is. But I doubt they would give me his name or info. I met with an officer today and even though I told him I had a good suspicion of who took it he said without anything concrete he can't do much.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Matt - sorry to hear this, for that is a pretty sweet ride!

If it WAS someone from the party - I totally understand how you feel. When I was at Penn State I lived in a house not far off campus and there was a party on the first floor. I left to go out with some friends and my one housemate (we had the 2nd and 3rd floors connected and to ourselves - about 5 of us) stayed behind to do work. He said a guy wandered up to our floor and told the guy to beat it. Then my roomate got called away from the house by his gf. When I got back I looked in my room (forgot to close and lock my door) and my team-issue Jeff Brushie RIDE snowboard was gone. There was a dent in the ivy outside the back door the shape of my board so it was obviously that guy... I was SOOO pissed. Long story short: Never recovered.

My take: It could have been suspect #1 from the party OR just some scumbag looking for a target of opportunity walking by.

The Big Question: Have you called the cops and filled out a report? Given a description of your bike to shops near places people ride like shuttle trails or lift-access mountains? I'd hand out and post flyers around as many riding spots as possbile. Hope you find your bike - just don't do anything rash.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Great things about social networks. Go thought your roommates friends and you can find out his last name pretty quickly.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Do you think this guy rides?

I know a bunch of DH goons in Reston/Herndon area. We could beat the bushes to see if anyone knows the full name?
I've hungout with the guy 1 other time and from talking to him I don't think he rides. But he did just move to VA from Colorado so he probably knows how expensive mountain bikes can get.

My take: It could have been suspect #1 from the party OR just some scumbag looking for a target of opportunity walking by.

The Big Question: Have you called the cops and filled out a report? Given a description of your bike to shops near places people ride like shuttle trails or lift-access mountains? I'd hand out and post flyers around as many riding spots as possbile. Hope you find your bike - just don't do anything rash.
I don't think it was someone walking by because our back fence is 6 feet tall on all side, so you would have had to see inside the backyard from inside the house to see there was anything there.

I filled out a report and gave the police officer a few printed pictures of the bike and a full parts description. I'm also trying to get together a mass list of cycling clubs, bike shops, and pawn shops in the greater baltimore area.

Great things about social networks. Go thought your roommates friends and you can find out his last name pretty quickly.
Way ahead of you, too bad it looks like he's not "friends" with my roommate on FB.

I'm trying to stay positive but I'm not sure if I'm gonna get another DH bike. I had the bike fully spec'd out and ready to race. I was saving money for races this summer but If I have to drain my bank account to get another bike I'll be stretched pretty thin for races.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just ask your roommate who this guy is and drive down to where he lives if you are suspicious. I can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't do that.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That absolutely SUCKS that happened to you Matt. So sorry.
1. Don't tip your roommate
2. Talk to the tow company. I guarantee they will tell you his name and address.
3. Call Falls Church police and find out if he has a record. I would guarantee you he does if he's that brazen. If he does, they will check him out for you.
4. Drive there. Can't tell you how many people have taken their bikes back from ass hats.
5. Don't GIVE UP! Herndon's original Team DEVO Trek DH showed up at WCU campus at a party Ryan Taylor was at. Just sitting there at some dude's apartment. It had been stolen at Beech Mtn, over 2 hours away.

Mulestar's buddy's bike was stolen at Monster Park. Kalen Bunch found it and a few others in the basement of a party down in the valley some time later.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll be mentioning your story to customers who I'm selling renters to.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you may also want to give this some mileage: http://crazedlist.org/

You can search regionally. If you know roughly where that kid is, select the surrounding area and see what happens.

I'd be willing to bet most bike thieves aren't that smart/smart enough to strip the bike down and sell parts individually. I think those wheels would be the biggest giveaway.