Quantcast

straight six shock adjustments

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
If I adjust "a", clockwise and counterclockwise, what am I really adjusting?

what about "b" (the space between the spring/"b"ring and the shock mount?
with "b" I can also adjust this clockwise and counterclockwise...

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There is an adjustment for the spring preload, which is B. That's adjusting how much preload is on your rear shock. Don't wind that down too far, you'll make the shock too stiff and blow it.

Adjusting A changes the effective eye-to-eye of the shock, so it affects your bottom bracket height and your headangle. Unscrewing it (counter-clockwise) will raise your bottom bracket and steepen your headangle. Clockwise will do the reverse.

Damn sweet frame!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
There is an adjustment for the spring preload, which is B. That's adjusting how much preload is on your rear shock. Don't wind that down too far, you'll make the shock too stiff and blow it.

Adjusting A changes the effective eye-to-eye of the shock, so it affects your bottom bracket height and your headangle. Unscrewing it (counter-clockwise) will raise your bottom bracket and steepen your headangle. Clockwise will do the reverse.

Damn sweet frame!
Raise bb and steepen headangle or raise bb and slacken headangle?

Does your buddy still have his Straight Six for sale?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Raise bb and steepen headangle or raise bb and slacken headangle?

Does your buddy still have his Straight Six for sale?
Raise it and steepen the headangle... Consider if you're sitting on the bike causing it to sag, you're effectively changing (shortening) the i2i of the shock, which is what the adjustment does. The sag causes the headangle to slacken and the BB to be lowered. So lengthening the i2i via the adjustment will have the reverse effect.

The Sixxer was sold yesterday, from what he tells me. Still wish I could find a new old stock one.