Quantcast

strange bikes...

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The sole purpose of those bikes is to give us something to laugh at and make fun of, because they're worthless for anything else (especially riding).

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I play on a hardtail set up with a dually, but there is a big difference between a Shiver and a Supermonster.
Whoever put those together should be castrated.

Here's mine:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It would be so weird to ride a supermonster on a hardtail. The fork would be moving so much while the back stays completely ridgid. Maybe you could ride it like a pogo stick to jump.

THere must be so much stress on those headtubes. A shiver looks good, its not at all like a chopper.

In the second picture, if you drew a line from the top of the fork lowers to the corner weld on the seatpost and top tube, then a vertical line down from the corner of the headtube and down tube, that makes almost a perfect symetrical triangle.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
From looking at the pictures I get the impression that the second one might have been built with this stupid combination in mind, since the head hangle looks way steeper than the Evil, and the Alutech guys are known for their err.. "experimenting".

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
evil imperial s can run modified moto forks if you so choose to..never seen that second bike and looks as if it was designed for at least a 8 inch dc... i totally did the draco and man your silver evil is just sick..

have you ever tried dh'n on a ht talk about fun and scary all at the same time...just works your knees a LOT.

an6

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
freerideATL said:
it looks like the seat post on the evil would break or bend
if you came down on it hard..
yeah, cause there is no QR lever making it easy for the guy to drop the seat once the climb is over. he should be careful :nuts:

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
i'm pretty sure he doesnt climb that thing.
1 shivers dont exactly climb well especially with hscv dampened 8inches of plush travel and no lock out. so climbing with a shiver aint happening.
2 the seat hieght is problably set that high cause he is prob tall,and it does have a qr on it and seriously with a build up like that on his evil. that bike has to weigh close to 35+pounds..
3 its has a chainguide on it so no climbing. cant climb without a granny gear

dh'n on a hardtail is fun and super exciting cause you are on the edge of the limits everytime..you have to be smoother and choose your lines better. think about it if you can fly down a dh course on a HT with a comparable time to a FS then man once you grab a fully wow you are even faster cause of line choice and smoothness you adapted from the HT

an6

oh yeah. its kinda like the freakin pink thing... YOUR FREAKIN HARDCORE !!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
AN6 Freerider said:
1 shivers dont exactly climb well especially with hscv dampened 8inches of plush travel and no lock out. so climbing with a shiver aint happening.
2 the seat hieght is problably set that high cause he is prob tall,and it does have a qr on it and seriously with a build up like that on his evil. that bike has to weigh close to 35+pounds..
Actually a buddy of mine rode a .243 with a shiver for a couple weeks (blew out his old fork and was waiting for a replacement). He had only a middle ring and still out climbed most people. We climbed 2000'... he was there 20 min before the rest of us.

Just becasue you (or I) couldn't do it, doesn't mean others cant.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
thats true.. i c what you are saying i was just looking at the bike and making an assesment.. but greaqt point.

man that dude must ahve some serious calves to climb with a shiver

an6

ok foot put back in mouth

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
seems like a good thread in which to repost this picture:

it's a lot more fun with a z1 up front (or rigid as it is now!)

wooley_89

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
AN6 Freerider said:

dh'n on a hardtail is fun and super exciting cause you are on the edge of the limits everytime..you have to be smoother and choose your lines better. think about it if you can fly down a dh course on a HT with a comparable time to a FS then man once you grab a fully wow you are even faster cause of line choice and smoothness you adapted from the HT

an6

oh yeah. its kinda like the freakin pink thing... YOUR FREAKIN HARDCORE !!!

1. i have 05 8 inch HSCV dampened shivers, on my Giant DH comp , and i have no trouble climbing and after a week, you learn how you can almost lock them out, if you learn forward while climibng they dont move at all.

2. no comment on that cause it doesnt mean ****

3. chainguide = no climbing does it? i run a 42 tooth ring up the front, and i have no trouble climbing, we ride up some pretty big hills, you dont need a granny ring to climb, thats why its called a granny ring, cause grannys with no muscle what so ever use it! you should be able to climb most hills in the middle ring if not the big one. and if your in your granny ring its quicker to walk!

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
here's mine. I think DTC's on hardtails are awesome. And it doesn't have to make sense to anyone. It just does to ME and that's all that matters :D :love:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My hardtail has a e-thirteen w/ a single ring and I can climb okay. When it is steep and slippery, it can be really hard (sometimes I have to walk those sections). When I climb, I am in my bigggest cog.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
AN6 Freerider said:
thats true.. i c what you are saying i was just looking at the bike and making an assesment.. but greaqt point.

man that dude must ahve some serious calves to climb with a shiver

an6

ok foot put back in mouth
Heh heh...

You ride what you have. Think of it this way, after climbing with a 40 pound bike that is bobbing up and down you will be super fast when you go to XC bike. As for me, I climb so I can get to the downhill. I am not worried about efficient climbing or anything like that. If the gearing gets too tall and I can't ride, I push. An MP3 player, all my gear strapped to my back and some great scenery on the way up and I am a happy man while climbing.

After reading this thread I am wanting to take the .243 out for a ride.

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
id love to see that dude. he must really think
hes the **** with that bike..
(oh yeah as he rides down the SIDEWALK afraid to get his ride dirty)

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
well if you're on about the nicolai, your in look.
here i am.
the bike was new at that point [the frame] hence the cleanness, and i only use it for skate park/street/bmx track,
and the monsters are off my turner...sorry to spoil it for you, but it does get ridden, maybe not well, but hard.... :D :D

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
cheers, i might try it with the chainguide, although it works fine as it is...

the rear rim is a H.E.D. carbon dh rim [circa 99 i think] i have the matching front, they're surprisingly strong too!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
trailblazer said:
if the idea is to negate your warrenty......then congrats you all qualify.
:stosh: you must be a very blissful person...

Shortbus said:
I don't. Again what are all these people talking about **** they don't have a clue about... Seriously. :dancing:
:stupid: My HT with a Boxxer doesn't void the warrenty... and the manufacturer knows that I'm doing it.