Quantcast

Stratos Helix Pro

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I just visited the crew at Go-Ride.com and Scott has a Balfa 2Step that he's outfitted with a Stratos Helix Pro shock. It is squishy and nice... much nicer than the Fox Vanilla RL I've got on my 2Step.

On my RL, I had a 600# spring, then moved to a 550# spring, which feels much better, but it still doesn't have the sag I'd like from the rear end. It doesn't feel like it has enough negative travel to extend and smooth things out.

So, I'm having shock envy and wondering if I should pony up for the Stratos shock on there. Does anyone have any experience with these shocks? Are they a pain in the A$$ to set up like the Progressive's are?

Here's more info:
http://www.stratosusa.com/docs/shock_detail_HP.htm

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I do not have any experience with the model you mention but I had huge issues with their customer service when I ordered my XC-Pro a few years back. It took me MANY weeks just to get an honest answer from them as to when it would ship. I must have heard "it's shipping out tomorrow" at least a dozen times. The only hold up seemed to be an L valve required for my Boulton rear triangle and a minor spacing issue that was easily sovled with OTC bushings. I think it was 6 weeks or more for delivery - I was promised 3 to 5 days when I placed my order.

The shock itself is flawless... :thumb: but the bad customer service issues are burned into my brain. :angry:

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I do not have any experience with the model you mention but I had huge issues with their customer service when I ordered my XC-Pro a few years back. It took me MANY weeks just to get an honest answer from them as to when it would ship. I must have heard "it's shipping out tomorrow" at least a dozen times. The only hold up seemed to be an L valve required for my Boulton rear triangle and a minor spacing issue that was easily sovled with OTC bushings. I think it was 6 weeks or more for delivery - I was promised 3 to 5 days when I placed my order.

The shock itself is flawless... :thumb: but the bad customer service issues are burned into my brain. :angry:
That's too bad... I had the same experience with my first Turner RFX frame. It took FOREVER! However, I quickly forgot about that once I pointed the bike downhill.

I'm thinking I'll get that shock, but I want to get some beta from different people who might be using it.

One tip there Midget... for all our sakes, change your Avatar. I can't tell what's up with that half-naked fat lady and her little buddy, Tatu, but it just grosses me out...:D

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I had one on my ellsworth isis and was very impressed by it. It was a 4 inch bike and the rear sucked up everything up nicely. I'd say go for it:thumb:

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
CS would be the thing keeping me away from them.

There's a scary/interesting thread about a recent Stratos experience on the DH/FR board on MTBR, might still be on the first page.

That thread pretty much seals my decision to NEVER give them any of my money. Even the go-ride guys are admitting that it's a garbage company.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by sub6
CS would be the thing keeping me away from them.

There's a scary/interesting thread about a recent Stratos experience on the DH/FR board on MTBR, might still be on the first page.

That thread pretty much seals my decision to NEVER give them any of my money. Even the go-ride guys are admitting that it's a garbage company.
Hmmm... I'll talk to Stott at Go-Ride and see what their story is. It is a bit disconcerting, but I want the best feeling suspension... hopefully they'll treat me well.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
jeez man - get a Romic or something!! Go-Ride has been a long-time supporter of Stratos. I'm not sure you'll get an unbiased opinion from him, to be perfectly frank.

Seriously, do you really want to support a company that treats SO many of it's customers like ****? I dunno if you've followed the great number of Stratos horror stories that have been posted on MTBR for the past year or so, but it's truly scary how bad they are.

Send the $$$$ to somebody who cares about you. Avalanche comes to mind (talk about customer service, that guy redefines the term) but an Avy might be overkill for that bike. I'd go with a Romic if you feel the same way, and don't wanna deal with all the adjustment of a 5th/Swinger.

The Helix is kinda old-tech anyway, that thing has been around for YEARS. Romic, Avy, and SPV/Curnutt style shocks are really the new wave of technology, you might as well get on board.....

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I guess you've got a good point. I know the Romic guys really well and they are super cool. The Progressive guys are equally cool.

Honestly, I just want the best shock on there to give me the right feel on the bike. I've had a Romic on my Route 66 and it didn't feel any more plush than my current Vanilla RL.

I just really liked the feel of Scott's 2Step when I sat on the thing... SQUISHY!!! Definitely not how mine feels. I miss the squish and want it back.

I may go down to a 500# spring, but that might really open it up to serious bottoming. The 550# one that's on there doesn't even come close to bottoming right now... I think a 525# spring would be perfect, but those don't exist. Maybe I'll just get a 500# and see how it feels.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I've had one on my bike for more than a year now, it does its job very well. The lockout is very nice to have on long road climbs.

I've never had an issue with them and I've dealt with them about a dozen times. I've always had quick responses (within 24 hours) from emails, which is something that you can't say about every company.

I also had an XC Pro, like that as well. They had quick turnaround too. I wore out the bushings and they sent me 4 at no charge, not even for shipping.

I'd gladly buy their product again and I hope them the best with the El Jefe.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by Matt D
I've had one on my bike for more than a year now, it does its job very well. The lockout is very nice to have on long road climbs.

I've never had an issue with them and I've dealt with them about a dozen times. I've always had quick responses (within 24 hours) from emails, which is something that you can't say about every company.

I also had an XC Pro, like that as well. They had quick turnaround too. I wore out the bushings and they sent me 4 at no charge, not even for shipping.

I'd gladly buy their product again and I hope them the best with the El Jefe.
Yeah, I dropped them an email and got a response within 12 hours. I was impressed with that and surprised at what Sub6 and others said about their questionable customer service.

Right now it's my best option for the money and overall feel. I'm leaning towards just getting it.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
my very recent experience with Stratos:

starting about October sent regualr emails, all of which were returned within hours ( provided they were open), answered the TONS of questions I had with no problems. Very patient.
Ordered 3 shocks ( work at a shop) and they gave me a projected shipping date. I inquired on that date if they were gonna be going out. They informed me 2 of the 3 had already been shipped 4 days earlier and the 3rd was going out as scheduled. First 2 arrived 8 days ago.
I have owned a Helix pro. I had one for 2 years. Never an ounce of trouble, very reliable and worked much better than any Fox's I have owned as well as a RS Supr Deluxe.
Have had to deal with them on occasion for the past 2+ years and never had any problems. I have heard of people having problems but not me and I have liked their products.

Your choice but I have no problem buying from them

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got a 500 lb spring on my bike, it's too stiff for my weight so I'll be getting a new spring as soon as I can find time during the week to head up to SLC (it'd be cool to work at go-ride but it's inconvenient to have to go in during the week to buy anything there) anyhoo if you want my progressive spring to try out it's yours, Scott swears that the fox and progressive springs are close enough that they can be used as substitutes. I just am not sure what the stroke on your shock is, mine's a 2.25", kinda oddball for a fox, but it may work well enough to give you a ball park feel without having to pay for a new spring or a new shock.

When I talked to Scott about his 2 Step he mentioned the helix shock and said something about it not being the most reliable but he said they are just about the cheapest shock you can get and they seem to be the best shock for the 2 Step. Might want to have a good heart to heart with him and get the real story.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Thanks dude! I'll have to borrow your spring and see how it rides. I'm really just leaning towards the Stratos shock on there, but may try a Romic.

Let me know when you have the new spring. Mine is a 2.25 stroke, so it should be just fine.

UnabikeR

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
Green Bay and Marquette
The Stratos Helix Pro isn't anywhere near as difficult to set up as a 5th, however because of Stratos' hit-and-miss quality control and non-exsistant customer service I'd avoid them like the plague. I had an extremely bad experience with them a year ago and it doesn't seem like anything's changed at Stratos since then (except of course constant employee turn-overs).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think as long as you have your eyes open and you think it is the best shock for you then buy what you want. My shock has performed flawlessy and I could not be happier with it.

However... I paid full bore retail + 25 for the L valve and 90 to drill out and insert one bushing. By the time I was done I was pretty near $600.00 - for that kind of money the customer service I received was a disgrace.

My advice is ride their ass and get it in writing!!!

On another note... before the shock was installed and I was giving it the once over touchy feelie bit, the workmanship and finish detail were awesome. I had the same feeling I did with my first king headset. Nice. :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Serial Midget
However... I paid full bore retail + 25 for the L valve and 90 to drill out and insert one bushing. By the time I was done I was pretty near $600.00 - for that kind of money the customer service I received was a disgrace.
OK. I lied... I just dug out the receipt and it says $465.00. Still for that kind of money the customer service should have been better. :monkey:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Romic doesn't make a 7 7/8x2.25 shock...so you can't fit one on the 2Step. :(

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by FlipSide
Romic doesn't make a 7 7/8x2.25 shock...so you can't fit one on the 2Step. :(
I guess that answers that question. It's either get the Vanilla RL dialed or go with the Stratos.

I'm thinking I'll just go for it... It's definitely the least expensive of the bunch and it gives me back the squish I seek.