Quantcast

Stripped BB cup, what to do?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am trying to put on my chainguide & my drive side BB cup is stripped. It is the outside that is stripped not the threads. So what do I do now? I have thought about taking it to the LBS or just leaving it & saying F' the chainguide. What would the wrenches at the LBS do that I have not tried?

Once again, wrenching has bit me on the ass, kicked me in the nuts & spit on me while I am on the ground. :angry:

here is a pic.....
THNX.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I tried to do the same with a pipe wrench and it failed because the cup was to soft. I had to file to flat spots on the top and bottom of the cup and I easliy removed it with a huge ass adjustable wrench. Another method would be to use that cheap ass wrench force BB tool and a rear quick release skewer to firmly hold it in place so that the tool will not be able to slip out. Put a big solid washer on the tool side so it stays centered. Get help too.....jdcamb

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
From www.ParkTool.com

The spline system used on many cartridge bottom bracket is very shallow. If the spindle is hollow, use the rear hub skewer to hold the tool firmly in place. When using this technique to remove the spindle, break the threads free, then loosen the skewer as the cup comes out.

My setup

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Originally posted by TN
OK....so it is sounding like I need the LBS to come to my rescue. Damn.
Huh? Why? Dude you can so do that yourself. Save your money and give it a try.....jdcamb

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by Carbon Fetish
From www.ParkTool.com

The spline system used on many cartridge bottom bracket is very shallow. If the spindle is hollow, use the rear hub skewer to hold the tool firmly in place. When using this technique to remove the spindle, break the threads free, then loosen the skewer as the cup comes out.

My setup
OK.....that looks easy enough. But what is that between the BB tool & the skewer?

Huh? Why? Dude you can so do that yourself. Save your money and give it a try.....jdcamb
I am gonna try the skewer method. thanx.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by Knuckleslammer
Hey, love that homemade thing. Awesome innovation, seriously. I'm gonna have to make one. As for the pic, sorry LOL, I couldn't resist.
Knuckle
dont tempt me. :angry:

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
You need this :

Put that on the outside of the flange from that bb and lock it, and then it will hold tight, and gives you enough grip, for removing you bb cup. I had that problem a few months ago. When i wasted the threads inside the cup. That did the trick for me. :thumb:

I had a Octalink bb.
Good luck Tn:thumb:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
OK...the QR method is working, the BB tool will not budge.

But nowI cant get it loosen at all. Any tips for loosening it? It has been doused with bike lube & tapped to hell & back & I still cant get it to budge. :angry:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by TN

But nowI cant get it loosen at all. Any tips for loosening it? It has been doused with bike lube & tapped to hell & back & I still cant get it to budge. :angry:
Can't remember which side is which but a BB shell has left hand threads on one side. Make sure you are not tightening it. Also you typically have to remove the non drive side to get the drive side out.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by TN

is the other cup already removed? if not remove it....

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
non-drive side removed.
it is the drive side that is stuck.
I have dropped more lube down the inside of the shell & I am letting it sit for a while.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
THREADING NOTE: Most modern bikes use an ISO thread standard for the bottom bracket. The left side thread is a right-hand direction thread, which tightens clockwise and removes counter-clockwise. This standard is also called English or BSC. The right side (drive side) thread is a left-hand thread, which tightens counter-clockwise and remove clockwise. There are some exceptions to the ISO. Bikes made in Italy may use "Italian" threading, with both drive and non-drive sides right hand thread. There may be markings such as "36 x 24" on the cups. Older bikes from France may have right hand threads on both sides (35mm x 1mm). It is especially recommended for bikes with a right-hand thread for the drive side to use a thread locker in addition to full torque.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Spray liquid wrench or some other type of penetrating oil(not the same as wd-40 etc.) in there and let soak overnight. You can try placing it in the sun to warm the BB.

Try a longer wrench or breaker bar.

Or you could tie it to a tree and use your to car to yank it out.:D