Quantcast

Strong Chain?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, it is all based on pin pressure, the idea that the harder it is to push the pin, the stronger the chain.

I am surprised you broke 2 chains though. I am 200lb sprinter, and I never broke any chains.

Possibly there is a problem with your chainrings.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Any specific as to why you're asking about SRAM?

I'd suggest going with a Shimano CN-7701 and be done with it. Or really any Shimano chain that has the mushroom riveted pins.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Shimano, Wipperman, KMC chains all last considerably longer in my experience. Earlier this season when I was trying to run the SRAM chains we were on average getting 2 hours out of them before failure.

Ouch.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have been hearing from mroe than a few sources now that there has been a bad run of chains, so maybe try getting a chain from a different shop. I use Sram chains for DH, and I have never broken a chain.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
im 230lbs, and the times ive broken them have been on long hard hillclimbs. it did not happen while i was shifting, i was in my easiest gear

ive been running the cheaper end sram chains. i like them for the powerlink. just wondering if theres a difference between the chain strengths with the ones that dont have the hollowpins

pricepoint has these on sale:

Sram PC 951, Sram PC 971, Sram PC 991

what is the difference? pp nor sram says anything about them. is the more expensive one lighter, therefor maybe weaker?