Quantcast

strong pedals that won't break the bank

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Is there such a thing? Is there any pedal maker that offers a warranty on bent spindles?
I weigh 200lbs with no gear and I keep bending spindles. Usually on a crash or catching a rock with them. I hate to spend a lot on a really nice set b/c I'm affraid they won't last long. I ride 5.10's so traction is not an issue. Oh, yeah I wear size 12 so I need a fairly large platform. Any suggestions??

i've been looking at the Kona Wah-Wahs for some time now... to me they look very good, they have a huge platform, lots of grip and they are suuper low profile...

and theyre only $70-ish...

they look really good here:
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2085175/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2085174/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2085176/
they look like friggin wafers!
i've rocked some similar ones made by Premium, and they felt really nice and strong

i weigh 185 geared without a backpack, and i usually ride with a 15 or so pound backpack with tools and water... i trust the way pedals like these feel!

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
funn vipers!!! supppeer grippy, huuuge platform, indestructable

I have them as my flats for my dh/fr bike when Im going to be messin around on stunts and they are amazing. I only weigh 160 and I bent a spindle, but I contacted funn and they sent me new spindles for free. But over all I love them. I think I paid like 85 dollars for them so I feel like they were a great buy.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I have them as my flats for my dh/fr bike when Im going to be messin around on stunts and they are amazing. I only weigh 160 and I bent a spindle, but I contacted funn and they sent me new spindles for free. But over all I love them. I think I paid like 85 dollars for them so I feel like they were a great buy.
how did you contact funn?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
I've got a few bigger guys who are regulars at the shop running the new AtomLab General Issue pedals. They have a massive platform, thin profile and have been holding up under the weight of three 200lbs+ guys who ride hard. They're cheap too, roller bearing version goes for $40 or less and Double DU bearing (better pedal & route to go) goes for $55 or less.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
thanks for the reccomendations everyone. I think I'll got with aluminum as I ride alot of rocky areas and I've shattered mag pedals before.

so far I'm liking the straightlines( a little pricey) and the atomlabs. I'm looking for shorter traction pins as the 5.10's hang up on long pins

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I've got a few bigger guys who are regulars at the shop running the new AtomLab General Issue pedals. They have a massive platform, thin profile and have been holding up under the weight of three 200lbs+ guys who ride hard. They're cheap too, roller bearing version goes for $40 or less and Double DU bearing (better pedal & route to go) goes for $55 or less.
So what you're saying is they hold up WAAAAY better than their premium models that can never stay attached to their spindles? Weird.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have two pairs of aircorps that each have a year of riding...never had an issue with slop or them comming off.

I could see how it is possible if one was to remove the circlip and stretch/bend it so it no longer held well or if it was put on backwards (like boxxer circlips)...

I have also seen replacement 'endless' clips that I think I might put on just to be over-cautious. Mcmaster has them in several materials and they wrap 720*, so they would never come off.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
thanks for the reccomendations everyone. I think I'll got with aluminum as I ride alot of rocky areas and I've shattered mag pedals before.

so far I'm liking the straightlines( a little pricey) and the atomlabs. I'm looking for shorter traction pins as the 5.10's hang up on long pins
A couple of cool things about the straitlines are you only need a flathead screwdriver or even a tire lever to rebuild them, each pin is short but hexagonal, and everything from the pedal body to the spindle is made in house. Plus contacting them is no trouble at all via Email or Phone.

The atomlabs are thinner but just as wide, but the bushings seem to get floppy really fast, though we've never had a pair fail catastrophically.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Straitlines are indeed a sickass pedal. I have them and they totally rule but they aren't the lightest and they aren't the cheapest. Great pedal for big boys, they can take the abuse.

You get what you pay for...