Quantcast

Stunt construction guide

lucas

Chimp
Apr 30, 2004
I've been working on a detailed construction guide which should be available this fall.
It covers step by step instruction for building TTFs from dirt, wood and rock.

Here is the link:
www.rockbottombuilders.com

I would love to hear any feedback... Thanks!

Lucas

lucas

Chimp
Apr 30, 2004
It should tie in pretty well. We haven't covered anything that their Trail Solutions already has, such as proposals, organizing work parties or even trail cutting/construction.
We have focused specifically on building TTFs in a sustainable way and safe way....

Thanks for the reply

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
The only real problem I see with this guide is getting recognition needed to make it usable.

By this I mean not many groups/organization/communities/government bodies are going to take it seriously unless IMBA and local cycling organization accept it as their trail building guild line.

One thing i would like to see in the guide itself is better/ more professional drawing. Your drawing are very clear in content but I think in the form they currently are many of the above organization will take it as unprofessional.

If you can get the above though I think that it will be very successful. I love the idea.

lucas

Chimp
Apr 30, 2004
Thanks for the input. We have been discussing what you said for some time and agree that local organizations need to see it as a reliable source of information.

It's never easy to show up and expect others to take what you say serious right off the bat, but we hope as people review and use the book that it will begin to speak for itself.

Thanks again....

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Nice! I second the slightly more refined illustrations, at least using printed text instead of free hand for the words.

I would buy this book in a heartbeat.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I'm definitely not a trail building expert. I've only built "secret" trails for me and a few friends, but here's my two cents:

One thing to consider is how different environments will require different building techniques. When I lived on the east coast you could go out and build amazing stunts with just a bag of nails and a hatchet, there were tons of trees and the wood was easy to work with. In California the wood is different and tended to split when I tried to nail it. But, the dirt was really easy to work with in the spring and winter when it was all wet. Now, I'm in Utah, and building more with rocks since the sandy dry soil doesn't hold up well.

I would think the different weather and climate patterns in different regions would have a big impact on how trails are designed and built.

Cool idea! Good luck with it!