Quantcast

Stupid iPods

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Well. I finally got some money to get a Mp3 player. I wanted to get one of them fancy new iPod Nanos. $200 for a 2gb. Well, thats crap. For $200 I got a 8gb Creative Zen MicroPhoto.

Thats right. If your thinking about getting a iPod then think again and try a creative zen. Hells yeah.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
.:Jeenyus:. said:
You cannot, however, focus your camera.
Fixed it for you. :p

Let us know how that works out...I'd really like an mp3 player, and they file management system (none) that creative uses appeals to me, but I've had friends with broken ones...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
this is what you all really want...

flash baby - no moving parts....

+ 2g SD card... 2.5g total with fm radio... weighs nothing and is about 1 1/2 books of matches in size...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
partsbara said:

+ 2g SD card... 2.5g total with fm radio... weighs nothing and is about 1 1/2 books of matches in size...

Then I take it the screen is just for show?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
partsbara said:

I managed to break one of these...it lasted about as long as the warranty.:mumble:

Now I use it for a beer coaster.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What are the stock headphones like?
The nano headphones are junk, the lanyard is a $65 piece of junk.
I can't say I like the ipod itunes interface either... drag n drop is so much better..

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
the headphones are alright. they work fine but if you get a chance to get some new ones, then do it. they are just like the ones from the nano.

Jul 24, 2006
partsbara said:
nano is cr@p..
For "crap" mine has survived a year of being beaten about on our boat, doused with water and normal abuse.

Nano gets two thmbs up in my book, considering what it's been through.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Mine broke, then got stolen.
I have a 6 disk CD player in my car, though, so I just started using that again.
When I'm not driving, I decided to try listening to the world again. Its fun.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
FBTMILF said:
Well. I finally got some money to get a Mp3 player. I wanted to get one of them fancy new iPod Nanos. $200 for a 2gb. Well, thats crap. For $200 I got a 8gb Creative Zen MicroPhoto.

Thats right. If your thinking about getting a iPod then think again and try a creative zen. Hells yeah.

QUOTE]

How is the sound quality and battery life on the Zen??? I know i like the quality on the Ipod's, but like you i didnt want to fork over that much, So i went with RCA myself, good sound easy to use, But i do want more storage and was thinking about the Zen, but i dont want to give up the sound and battery life

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Creative have great sound quality.

I think sound quality goes something like this:

Sony > Cowan > iRiver / Creative >> Apple

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
Creative have great sound quality.

I think sound quality goes something like this:

Sony > Cowan > iRiver / Creative >> Apple
maybe if you evaluate them with the stock earbuds

:nuts:

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Here's something else you may want to take a look at..Archos 400. I have a 30 G Machine I paid ~$350 for. Can use it as a PVR, Flash Card, FM radio, or mini DVD Machine. I use t for a helmet cam on my snowmobile in winter and will store somewhere around a hundred hours of as good video as my 480 Camera will give it. Not a well known company, but the player is mint.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Toshi said:
maybe if you evaluate them with the stock earbuds

:nuts:
Haha, nope. Have you heard the Sony? It is quite impressive. Face it, the iPod is nothing special any more. They need to step up.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
DirtyMike said:
FBTMILF said:

QUOTE]

How is the sound quality and battery life on the Zen??? I know i like the quality on the Ipod's, but like you i didnt want to fork over that much, So i went with RCA myself, good sound easy to use, But i do want more storage and was thinking about the Zen, but i dont want to give up the sound and battery life
Sound quality is amazing on the Zen. I have the Zen touch, 20 GB model and it has been nothing short of awesome. Battery life is a plus as well, I can usually get through two work days, meaning about 10 hours of play per day and still retain some battery life.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Supported Audio formats: MP3, WMA (inc MS PD DRM), WAV

Support Video formats: DivX™ 4 & 55, XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9, Motion-JPEG

Supported Photo formats: JPEG, BMP6, GIF6, TIFF6

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
My stupid shuffle lost its shuffle feature. I lost my wasteband holder and had to run with it stuffed into my sports bra for a couple of weeks. While a shuffle will stand up to a wash and dry cycle, it will not stand up to sweat. Now it only plays in order, no shuffling here. I am sad.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sally struthers said:
For "crap" mine has survived a year of being beaten about on our boat, doused with water and normal abuse.

Nano gets two thmbs up in my book, considering what it's been through.
ANY flash based player will be hardy. It's just the nature of solid state devices like that.

Everyone says, "my flash player is awesome because I've dropped it 25 times and thrown it in my backpack every day etc." - the reality is that's rather like saying, "my car is awesome because it starts when I turn the key and the wheels don't fall off when I hit potholes." All flash players should survive quite a beating.

If they are exceptionally bad designs, they might break easily, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
laura said:
My stupid shuffle lost its shuffle feature. I lost my wasteband holder and had to run with it stuffed into my sports bra for a couple of weeks. While a shuffle will stand up to a wash and dry cycle, it will not stand up to sweat. Now it only plays in order, no shuffling here. I am sad.
i had a 1gb shuffle that broke in 3 weeks. i guess they don't stand up well to kicking, dropping into water, throwing, swinging with headphones, etc. hopefully this time i don't try that stuff

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mr. Furious said:
I can't say I like the ipod itunes interface either... drag n drop is so much better..
itunes IS drag and drop, asshat.

I have a nano (4gig). I love it. If you are a student Apple gives you a 15% (i think) discount w/ valid school ID. all i know is that i paid the price of the 2 gig for my 4. I have never been much of a fan of Apple, but they hit the nail on the head with the ipod (at least the current generation, never used the old ones extensively). The user interface is one of the best I've ever seen (not just for music players, but overall). It is simple and extremely intuitive. 'nuff said.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
jonKranked said:
itunes IS drag and drop, asshat.

I have a nano (4gig). I love it. If you are a student Apple gives you a 15% (i think) discount w/ valid school ID. all i know is that i paid the price of the 2 gig for my 4. I have never been much of a fan of Apple, but they hit the nail on the head with the ipod (at least the current generation, never used the old ones extensively). The user interface is one of the best I've ever seen (not just for music players, but overall). It is simple and extremely intuitive. 'nuff said.
The only thing Apple hit on the head with the iPod is their ability to whore it out marketing wise and capitalize on all the boneheads who want to be cool. Bono and those dancing silhouettes can kiss my ass.