Quantcast

Stupid iPods

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I like all the hate going on with the iPod. It's a good product. Face it the companies you haters are buying from couldn't market their player well because it is either ugly, has poor features or is a blatant iPod ripoff. All the creative zen players are pretty much direct copies of the iPod. Apple releases a new player and all these drone companies scramble to make a copy of it. And may I remind everyone that if Apple hadn't made the iPod your shiny little copy probably wouldn't exist right now.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
bballe336 said:
I like all the hate going on with the iPod. It's a good product. Face it the companies you haters are buying from couldn't market their player well because it is either ugly, has poor features or is a blatant iPod ripoff. All the creative zen players are pretty much direct copies of the iPod. Apple releases a new player and all these drone companies scramble to make a copy of it. And may I remind everyone that if Apple hadn't made the iPod your shiny little copy probably wouldn't exist right now.
Apple was not the first one to release an mp3 player.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Polandspring88 said:
Apple was not the first one to release an mp3 player.
When did I say they were the first? I didn't. But Apple made mp3 players popular by making a player with an easy to use interface, plenty of features and a good computer software interface as well. Before iPod and iTunes came along you had huge mp3 players (or small ones with 3 buttons) that had terrible problems. First of all before the iPod mp3 players generally operated like cd players. So you couldn't look at your playlists and you couldn't make more than one playlist. Also the computer interface on these things was horrible. The software wasn't even a music jukebox it was pretty much useless. Your creative zen blah blah blah with music and video playback and blah blah blah wouldn't be around (at least not for a few more years) if Apple hadn't made the iPod.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
bballe336 said:
When did I say they were the first? I didn't. But Apple made mp3 players popular by making a player with an easy to use interface, plenty of features and a good computer software interface as well. Before iPod and iTunes came along you had huge mp3 players (or small ones with 3 buttons) that had terrible problems. First of all before the iPod mp3 players generally operated like cd players. So you couldn't look at your playlists and you couldn't make more than one playlist. Also the computer interface on these things was horrible. The software wasn't even a music jukebox it was pretty much useless. Your creative zen blah blah blah with music and video playback and blah blah blah wouldn't be around (at least not for a few more years) if Apple hadn't made the iPod.
Except for the fact that the side to side scrolling option that is used by the iPod was technology originally developed by Creative Labs.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Spitfired said:
Mine broke, then got stolen.
I have a 6 disk CD player in my car, though, so I just started using that again.
When I'm not driving, I decided to try listening to the world again. Its fun.
awwww e-hug
that sucks dude

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Polandspring88 said:
Except for the fact that the side to side scrolling option that is used by the iPod was technology originally developed by Creative Labs.

Guess Creative F'd that up then cause what they got now isn't very nice...

Jul 24, 2006
binary visions said:
ANY flash based player will be hardy. It's just the nature of solid state devices like that.
...which was exactly the point of my post. Thanks for agreeing.

Someone claimed that "nanos are crap."

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
bballe336 said:
i don't think anyone said that iPods where the worst thing since polka music. i do dislike them a lot though. thats why i think they're stupid. the reason a lot of people don't like them is because you pay for the name.

for $200 you could get a 2g nano or for $200 you could get a 8g creative. the only diffrence is how you upload the music.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sally struthers said:

god, that really got your knickers in a knot didn t it... nano is the small flash player that had / has problems with broken screens isn t it ???

sorry, still crap in my book... but hey, if you like it, and it works for you then isn t that just dandy...

this is the internet, don t take it to heart...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sally struthers said:

I wasn't agreeing.

Since your statement that nanos are hardy devices applies to all flash based MP3 players, you are not refuting their claim that "nanos are crap."

Again, to use my same analogy, if someone said, "Kias are crap," and my response was, "no, they're not - they start when I turn the key and the wheels don't fall off," I'm not proving that Kias aren't crap. I'm just proving that they meet the same rudimentary standards that most cars do. Since all cars (and MP3 players) perform these very basic functions, there needs to be other standards on which they're judged.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
binary visions said:
I wasn't agreeing.

Since your statement that nanos are hardy devices applies to all flash based MP3 players, you are not refuting their claim that "nanos are crap."

Again, to use my same analogy, if someone said, "Kias are crap," and my response was, "no, they're not - they start when I turn the key and the wheels don't fall off," I'm not proving that Kias aren't crap. I'm just proving that they meet the same rudimentary standards that most cars do. Since all cars (and MP3 players) perform these very basic functions, there needs to be other standards on which they're judged.

blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda :looney:

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
binary visions said:
I wasn't agreeing.

that statment deserves a :trophy_br well put

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Polandspring88 said:
The only thing Apple hit on the head with the iPod is their ability to whore it out marketing wise and capitalize on all the boneheads who want to be cool. Bono and those dancing silhouettes can kiss my ass.
i agree the marketing is terrible but you obviously missed the point with what i had to say.

Jul 24, 2006
binary visions said:
I wasn't agreeing.
Sure you are. He wrote "nanos are crap." You wrote that all flash-based devices are hardy. Nanos are flash-based.

Ergo, you disagree with him and agree with me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sally struthers said:
Sure you are. He wrote "nanos are crap." You wrote that all flash-based devices are hardy. Nanos are flash-based.

Ergo, you disagree with him and agree with me.
:rolleyes:

You might want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Something can be hardy and still be crap. :teacher:

Jul 24, 2006
binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

You might want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Something can be hardy and still be crap. :teacher:
Ok, now you're arguing just to argue, which is no surprise at all.

I leave you to twiddle your monobrow and ponder your specious car analogies.

Enjoy!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Polandspring88 said:
Well Apple put the technology to better use than creative did. Scroll wheel > scroll bar.

Plus the thing is that before Apple came along with the iPod there were no GUI operating systems on mp3 players. (am I using the term GUI incorrectly here? BV?). The whole file menu system originated on the iPod.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
Haha, nope. Have you heard the Sony? It is quite impressive. Face it, the iPod is nothing special any more. They need to step up.
my ipod video -> headroom total airhead headphone amp -> sennheiser hd-600 setup sounds quite good when it's playing tracks encoded with Apple Lossless, thank you. i'll give the sony a listen if i get a chance but i don't find anything lacking with things at present.

:wave:

and what's special about the ipod is:

a) easy, local support at the apple stores
b) iTunes Music Store + video + all these free tracks (25 per week x 10 weeks for students! go to the Apple Students facebook group for the schtick, also see http://freeitunessongs.blogspot.com/ )
c) more peripherals than you can shake a stick at
d) good form factor, decent battery life
e) non-suck interface.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
yeh we sell creative products at my work (Brookstone) and we decided to test their durability....the zen micro photo withstood a drop off a 15' latter while playing and came out with no scratches...and still worked...try that with ur nano...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
spectaculardark said:
yeh we sell creative products at my work (Brookstone) and we decided to test their durability....the zen micro photo withstood a drop off a 15' latter while playing and came out with no scratches...and still worked...try that with ur nano...
There is a test that was posted here a while back where someone threw a nano out a car window at 35MPH and it was fine. Try that with your creative.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seriously, who the fvck throws their player out the window of a car? I can imagine some dick in a store and the salesman is telling him all the features, and he's all "Yeah, but I need one I can throw out my car at speed."

Idiots.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
uh, say what?

repeat after me: DRM only applies to songs bought from the iTunes Music Store. DRM only applies to songs bought from the iTunes Music Store. DRM only applies to songs bought from the iTunes Music Store.

what the astute reader may deduce from the prior sentence is that iTunes imposes no DRM whatsoever on tracks that you do not purchase from the iTMS.

rip a CD? no DRM. download a song off your filesharing service of choice? no DRM. record your own chanting on a radio shack microphone? no DRM.

i hope this public service announcement has helped.

:D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
my ipod video -> headroom total airhead headphone amp -> sennheiser hd-600 setup sounds quite good when it's playing tracks encoded with Apple Lossless, thank you. i'll give the sony a listen if i get a chance but i don't find anything lacking with things at present.

:wave:

and what's special about the ipod is:

a) easy, local support at the apple stores
b) iTunes Music Store + video + all these free tracks (25 per week x 10 weeks for students! go to the Apple Students facebook group for the schtick, also see http://freeitunessongs.blogspot.com/ )
c) more peripherals than you can shake a stick at
d) good form factor, decent battery life
e) non-suck interface.
I thought a lot about this before I bought an Ipod. Music quality, battery life, and looks did not matter much to me, and I assume it was a wash compared to other brands. I could obviously be wrong about that, but like buying a Honda, it is hard to go wrong with an Ipod.

Independence from Microsoft is a big deal to me, and I tried a couple of music engines and I thought ITunes is the best.

I am not sure what Ipod needs to do that it doesn't do already. My only request is a PDF reader so I can read tech docs on the train....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
it's a workaround, but you can view pdfs if you export each page as one of the following formats (from http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html):

JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only) and PNG

actually that might not work too well, what with resolution differences and all. if it was only text then you certainly could put that in a .txt file. drop such a file in the Notes folder on the ipod and it's readable/scrollable on the device.

i have the subway maps for boston, nyc, dc, london, etc. on my ipod this way (method #1). well, i didn't do it: some inventive guy scanned them, cut them up into ipod-readable chunks, and posted them up on the interwebbe

http://www.isubwaymaps.com/

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
it'll work in the sense that most docking stations also have a standard 1/8" plug for input, in addition to the fancy-pants ipod docking connector. so you'll have to plug it in, it won't stand up at a rakish angle, and it won't get charged automagically but sound should emanate from the speakers