Quantcast

stupid kids on little bikes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I did notice one guy had gloves. What a pvssy.

Funny that the sport is called Bicycle Motocross and they wear less protection then on the drive to Hollister.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I did notice one guy had gloves. What a pvssy.

Funny that the sport is called Bicycle Motocross and they wear less protection then on the drive to Hollister.
it's Freestyle. BMX is racing... :D

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
People are starting to wear helmets now because some big name pros have been seriously injured recently. I know Odyssey has a ProTec that their pro riders are endorsing. But you will always have dummies that won't wear one because it's not cool.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Saw this earlier today, that Brennan is a savage. The whip into the ditch was banannas. And to the helmet nazis, keep on keeping on, they'll eventually hear you...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
And to the helmet nazis, keep on keeping on, they'll eventually hear you...
It's not my head, bounce it all you want. I do get a little pissy when they scrape their face off at the jumps and all the sudden I'm their fvcking savior. If you're tough enough to ride without a helmet, you're tough enough to walk/ride somewhere to call for help.

edit, reminds me of a story:
Excited BMX teen: Billy just ripped his scalp back!!!
Local: Oh. Is the line clear?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Saw this earlier today, that Brennan is a savage. The whip into the ditch was banannas. And to the helmet nazis, keep on keeping on, they'll eventually hear you...
It will probably take a 20 inch wheeled Andrei Kivilev to make a change.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this is why i barely ride street anymore. Dirt jumps and skateparks hurt so much less
I agree to some extent but do you find it odd that we don't see many real serious injuries from street rider but we do with dirt? you know, the ones that end up in a coma or paralyzed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree to some extent but do you find it odd that we don't see many real serious injuries from street rider but we do with dirt? you know, the ones that end up in a coma or paralyzed.
I could be very wrong, but I think it has to do with height and maybe terrain. I know one of the major injuries I was near was a simple rock drop on the Expert course at Willamette Pass. A little too little speed, over the bars and head first in the dirt. At least a good 8' from his head to the ground.

In a park or even a dirt jump situation, most riders would have bailed rather than ride it to the ground head first busting 3 vertebrae.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I could be very wrong, but I think it has to do with height and maybe terrain. I know one of the major injuries I was near was a simple rock drop on the Expert course at Willamette Pass. A little too little speed, over the bars and head first in the dirt. At least a good 8' from his head to the ground.

In a park or even a dirt jump situation, most riders would have bailed rather than ride it to the ground head first busting 3 vertebrae.
Don't forget this vid is injuries that look real bad but no one was carted off by EMT's.

I'm sure there are injuries that are vastly more serious but are not advertised.

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
But you will always have dummies that won't wear one because it's not cool.
Its hard to argue with you because not wearing a helmet while you're crashing on your face and skull is dumb. But I can say with certainty that it has very little to do with being cool. At least in the thousands of street sessions I've found myself a part of it seems to be more impractical to have one on during the rest of the time you're riding around town. Riding at sweet spots is always linked by the tons of riding you do between them. Its hard to explain but it just isn't the same as gearing up in your ride shorts and XC helmets and filling water bottles to go hit some single track or ride a highway.
The majority of the time you're riding street you are just going from one place to another stopping to get a bite to eat or something to quench your thirst or stopping at a friend's place or a bathroom or whatever and the helmet becomes a nuissance.
Granted, I've never hucked myself off of a 20ft high set of stairs to flat just to find out if I could.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
bunch of words..
don't argue with me. I was the biggest anti-helmet guy around. and I did some big, dumb stuff. 25 stair rails, etc. I'm older and more fragile these days though...

I was simply saying that you will always have people that refuse to wear helmets. I have a friend that spent seven days in the hospital with a head injury after he cased a rail hop. Strait to his head at full speed on cement. He still doesn't wear a helmet.:rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The majority of the time you're riding street you are just going from one place to another stopping to get a bite to eat or something to quench your thirst or stopping at a friend's place or a bathroom or whatever and the helmet becomes a nuissance.
There is really no good argument for not wearing a helmet. Just own it.

And anyway, you and I ride street differently. I end up jumping everything and generally doing stupid crap all the time - especially in the middle of a riding session with my buddies who are also acting stupid. And getting from place to place, you are generally in traffic, no?

See, it's just too easy to make counter-arguments. You are better off just saying you don't want to wear one and that's it.

I go helmet-less a few blocks on my cruiser but that's about it. I've skidded along on my helmet, thankful I was wearing it, way too many times.

As for the vid, painful to watch for sure.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Looks like a bunch of future clients of a friend of mine... She's in speech pathology and teaches people to (re)learn how to talk. Her clients are either toddlers with speech disorders or late teens, 20-something men who were usually crashing motorcycles without helmets.

Your tax and/or health insurance dollars at work ladies and gentlemen.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And a helmet can save you ANY TIME. Yes, being taken out by a soccer mom in an Escalade isn't anyones idea of an ideal way to go, but having a helmet on when it happens will only improve your odds of survival.

I was just riding along...

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
No, it's definitely not odd that the major injuries are on dirt. Speed and height combined with double flips (Murray) or 360's over a 30 foot double (Aitken) are definitely the areas where big injuries are likely to happen. And I believe Matt Berringer's and Van Homan's head injuries were at parks as well.
Personally my worst injury was on street, but i'm not too likely to get killed riding trails doing tabletops and x-ups.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
C'mon it is strictly a culture issue.

There is no rational reason for not wearing a helmet.

Too hot? Put on a roadie lid.
Never needed one before? Wait until your next accident.

Street riders don't think it is cool. Serious, wait until one of them dies (or two or three) and then you will see helmet use.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Watchin this w/ my 6 & 4 year old girls and listinin to the oohs and aahs is great. They even asked why they don't wear helmets and my answer was their time is nigh

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Outstanding. Love the looped out wallride and the long, slow skatepark transfer.

Not only that, but no gloves either? What's so "panzy" about golves!?!?!?:confused:

The other one I like is at 1:32, some guy goes in for a wall-ride (I assume) but rides right into the wall/corner w/o even an attempt.
:thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
^^^ Is this really why you're so passionate about others not choosing to wear helmets?
No, I've become a helmet nazi because on rides, I am usually the senior guy and I have WFA training as well.

If something bad happens, whether it is a flat tire or major head trauma, it falls to me to fix it.

I wouldn't give a damn if you wore a helmet if I could just roll away and let your dumb ass wait for a medvac, just like I have to carry tubes and a pump.

P.S. I've often heard how in the Netherlands no one wears helmets and there are no injuries. I saw this vid, and while no one really clonks their noggin, it came plenty close:

Last edited: