Quantcast

Stupid questions

nate22

Chimp
Sep 8, 2011
East Tennessee
Can you put trail riding forks on DH bikes to make it sort of an all mountain bike? I figured it was obvious that you couldn't, but I don't know anything to back that up. My current bike is way too small (16" right now, could use a 19".)
I found a used Trek Session for $1900 and it has the big travel double crown fork for downhill. Could I transfer my smaller 5 inch travel fork over to it to ride some XC trails? Starting to ride downhill which is why im choosing the Session, otherwise I would just get an AM bike.

Trying to hit two birds with one stone.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I would go the other rout and get something more along the lines of a big 6-7" all mountain bike and use it for both as opposed to using a DH bike. Just some food for thought

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
DH bikes geo are way too slack for trail riding. Putting a shorter fork on will throw the geo off...
and without a pedal platform in the rear shock it'll pedal like a pogo stick.

You are asking about the illusive "Do-it-all bike"..... no such thing.

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Something came up today. LBS got a used Giant Anthem for $1600, definitely going for that instead.
Good bike and they made alot of them,here's a review I just read.

Bottom Line: Great bike for the value spent,good for XC racing. Decends quickly and climbs like a mountain goat.
Very quick on the single trail stuff, technical climbs are great, technical dh not so great, but it's an XC bike, if you want to do technical dh, get a dh bike.