Quantcast

Stupid Stupid Beginner Question on Suspension....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Most everyone that reads this is likely to laugh at this question, but hey, it's pouring rain and I'm sick (plus I would actually like to know the answer to the question!!)

How do you set up the suspension on a dual suspension bike for jumping? I'm not doing big jumps (just a couple feet) but when I hit the jump, my suspension tends to try to absorb the jump rather than launch off of it.

Should I set things way firmer?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
For the fork:

I have messed with the rebound (set very slow) and the compression is set pretty firm.

On the rear:

Rebound is set very slow and the compression is like butter.

As you can likely tell by these settings, I do almost all DH'ing and almost no DJ'ing (currently...)

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
jeb4 said:
For the fork:

I have messed with the rebound (set very slow) and the compression is set pretty firm.

On the rear:

Rebound is set very slow and the compression is like butter.

As you can likely tell by these settings, I do almost all DH'ing and almost no DJ'ing (currently...)

Faster rebound will definitely give you more pop off the lip. Fast rebound + hard compression will minimize the amount the suspension absorbs the lip and should help you boost. The compression isn't as important, but it will help you launch using the energy that otherwise would have been absorbed by the suspension

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I'd make the rebound faster and have harder compression/preload for DJing. Like others said DJing a DH bike isn't that bad once you get used to it. Good luck!