Quantcast

Stupid technology

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I want to let everybody know that my computer explourded on Tuesday morning, hence why I haven't been lurking as much as usual. The real reason I'm posting this is that I know I had a bunch of emails waiting to be opened that I now can not access. So, if you wrote me an email in the last week or so that didn't get answered, sorry about that. Everything is working again now so re-send 'em.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
In your e-mail program, use "leave a copy on the server" for the feature!!

Btw, I got the beautiful new topcrown/stem a couple of weeks ago, and I must say it looks wery good!! Keep up the good work!

Espen

James | Go-Ride said:
I want to let everybody know that my computer explourded on Tuesday morning, hence why I haven't been lurking as much as usual. The real reason I'm posting this is that I know I had a bunch of emails waiting to be opened that I now can not access. So, if you wrote me an email in the last week or so that didn't get answered, sorry about that. Everything is working again now so re-send 'em.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Man I am hating my computer right now...or more accurately my stupid new printer and it's dumbass software...bought one of those HP all-in-one dealies, was psyched to go wireless (because it's so hard to use a printer cable :rolleyes: ). First one didn't work, sent it back, second took like 7 hours to get set up right with the help of HP tech support and my friend that is an HP employee. Well now my computer is buggy as ****, takes forever to start up, won't recognize my camera anymore, and randomly crashes way too often...all that and the printer is about the slowest thing since my '82 dot matrix...I'm gonna throw it out the window I swear...either that or use a hammer to "fix it" like I fix my bikes....ok rant over...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OG, the all-in-one software that comes with those devices is absolute garbage. I have seen numerous instances of it completely destroying the computer requiring registry recoveries, reinstallation of Windows, or at the very least, uninstallation of the software which renders the device itself next to useless.

HP makes really great stand-alone printers, I do not understand why they make such utterly awful all-in-one devices.

My latest experience with one of those was a device we bought here at work. It caused my computer to blue screen at least once a day, if not more, and worsened to the point where it was crashing 10+ times in a day. Not a single one of my hours and hours spent on the phone or in online chat with HP could resolve the problem. The device now resides on top of one of our filing cabinets collecting dust.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
OK, all I have to add is that Homestreet runner is the funniest thing on the internet.

And whats up with all the pig avatars? They make my eyes hurt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
binary visions said:
OG, the all-in-one software that comes with those devices is absolute garbage. I have seen numerous instances of it completely destroying the computer requiring registry recoveries, reinstallation of Windows, or at the very least, uninstallation of the software which renders the device itself next to useless.
Yeah thanks man it's good to know I'm not alone. Since I got it I've heard all kinds of horror stories. Luckily my laptop is almost new so if I need to redo everything it won't be that big a deal. (I guess.) The sorta funny thing is that I know that I know next to nothing about this stuff so I relied on my friend who is an HP employee for a recommendation. After I bought he says, oh by the way, these things are notorious for causing problems... I was like, jeez man thanks a lot, let me know when YOU need a recommendation for some expensive widget, I'll be sure and help you out. :mumble: :mumble:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
Yeah thanks man it's good to know I'm not alone. Since I got it I've heard all kinds of horror stories. Luckily my laptop is almost new so if I need to redo everything it won't be that big a deal. (I guess.)
Likely, you'll be fine if you just uninstall all the HP software, and possibly download a utility to cleanup your registry (TuneUp Utilities, for instance).

However, you may be S.O.L. on your all-in-one unless you return it. I went through three computers - three different brands, three different hard drives, three different Windows configurations - and had the same blue screen problem on all of them, regardless of what version of the utilities software that HP gave me. I was incredibly frustrated with the situation, especially considering I have a bunch of years of computer support and computer experience under my belt and still couldn't get it to work.

HP was pretty uncooperative and unreceptive to my problem besides providing the standard, "Flash the bios. Reinstall the drivers." advice. Hell, they even tried to charge me for the latest version of their drivers which weren't available for download! I spend 10+ hours on tech support with these guys, they say, "Use the latest version of our drivers.. You need a CD from us." and then tell me it's only $10 plus S&H?! I gave the guy a polite but very firm and angry earful.

I have a new HP photo printer which I am extremely pleased with but pray that I will never need to speak to their tech support again. All in all, a big :stosh: to HP.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am seriously considering HP all-in-one performance art involving hammers, axes, fire, explosives, and lots of gravity. Then just for kicks I'll return the resulting softball-size piece of melted plastic and glass nubbins for warranty.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
OGRipper said:
I am seriously considering HP all-in-one performance art involving hammers, axes, fire, explosives, and lots of gravity. Then just for kicks I'll return the resulting softball-size piece of melted plastic and glass nubbins for warranty.

PLEASE dont forget the pictures of that.

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
zedro said:
i'll lend you my broken HP camara to take them. I mean seriously, how does a camara have software defects?
Oh my gaaaaad! No! Zedro spelt 'camEra' wrong. :eek: