Quantcast

Sub 40lb Custom Gearboxx Bike

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
As a machinist I have to say I am glad to hear your keeping it raw. It just looks too damn sexy, to cover up all that work.

Thanks for sharing the project, very tantalizing stuff. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep us posted!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Latest update (without pics this time)

Yesterday I cut, coped, shaped and prepped all of the AL pieces to be welded up for the front triangle. Also finished buying the last of the components to build the bike up.

Today I finished the design for the main weld jig as well as a couple of small items and created the .dxf files for the waterjet machine. I will be picking up the machined AL pieces tonight

Tomorrow hopefully we can make the welding jig, finish machining and begin welding AL for a couple of small frame pieces before the main triangle gets welded tuesday (hopefully!!!).

Anyone with fab experience in OC want to come help me get this thing finished for Sea Otter ??!! :P

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Great seeing the quick progression of the bike. Like the details too.
Just looking at your model, you only have a representation of the shock shaft, you sure the real shock doesn't clash on the Gboxx?? Hard to tell from the pics but looks close, sure you have it covered. Again, top work!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Great seeing the quick progression of the bike. Like the details too.
Just looking at your model, you only have a representation of the shock shaft, you sure the real shock doesn't clash on the Gboxx?? Hard to tell from the pics but looks close, sure you have it covered. Again, top work!
Thanks dude! Ive made the model so it will move through the stroke of the rear shock to check for clearances. The OD of that modeled in shock is actually the OD of most springs so that I can check to make sure there is no interference. Also, that G-boxx model is the maximum outer envelope, in reality is a touch smaller. Thanks for the heads up though!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
This thing is moving right along. All the machining and welding looks grade-A. What are your component specs going to be?
Thanks man!

Build looks like: DT-swiss 340 wheelset (340 hubs with 6.1s) hutchy pirhana/maxxis highroller
G-boxx with cranks and shifter
14T rear cog (7075 AL) with track racing chain
Sunline V-one seat (white)
CB Acid pedals (white)
DHX 3.0 with Steel spring (upgrade to Ti and/or Air down the road)
Magura Louise carbon 203/180 brakes with ventidisc rotors
Gravity Carbon 710mm bars
ODI ruffian grips
Travis triple ti with white lowers

Bighitboy

Chimp
Jun 1, 2006
What a project, I am very impressed. do you still feel that it can come in under 40lbs? Sell that design to a big maker:clapping:

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Thanks dude! Ive made the model so it will move through the stroke of the rear shock to check for clearances. The OD of that modeled in shock is actually the OD of most springs so that I can check to make sure there is no interference. Also, that G-boxx model is the maximum outer envelope, in reality is a touch smaller. Thanks for the heads up though!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/ColinAG/DHBike_Front1.jpg
What about in this pic? If you extrude the diameter representation of the spring over the shaft?
Sorry, like I said, I am sure you got it covered. Just looks close:imstupid:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Nice work.
I'm curious to here a real persons review of the g-boxx. I rode a Suntour v-boxx last week and it was probably the worst shifting bike I've ever ridden. HUGE jumps between gears and it still skipped like worn out LX. Not the kind of performance you expect on a high-end bike.
Keep us posted.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Ok, all is go! Ive done a bunch of prep work and have pretty much everything in a row to get the main frame triangle welded up tomorrow. That is, if I can get the tooling plate... Im running short on time because of the artificial aging process and the fact that I need to be at Sea Otter thursday morning, but Im going to try my hardest to get it done!

If anything, it will be there, complete; just not race-able (safety reasons if I dont get to age it).

I want to say thanks for all of the support and comments, it makes this stuff worth the hard work....

As for a review of the g-boxx, so far it seems to shift crisply and hit the gears. Its also not under pedaling load yet, that will come soon!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Why the DHX 3.0? Also, why the travis? It's not a bad fork, I myself am riding one, but if you wanna give yourself more weight to work with you should go with a boxxer or something lighter than a Travis triple.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Why the DHX 3.0? Also, why the travis? It's not a bad fork, I myself am riding one, but if you wanna give yourself more weight to work with you should go with a boxxer or something lighter than a Travis triple.
With such an expensive project already, I can't affoard to get a blingin new fork (or shock) yet. Maybe someday, but not right now! Its in the cards though....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Are you still going to make the Sea Otter deadline? Or has it been pushed out?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I rode a Suntour v-boxx last week and it was probably the worst shifting bike I've ever ridden. HUGE jumps between gears and it still skipped like worn out LX. Not the kind of performance you expect on a high-end bike.
well that's disappointing. we really needed something like this (a ~mass produced price point modular tranny) to mainstream gearbox bike production. hopefully nicolai's version is much better. i'd assume it'd be much more expensive though (unless he's contracting out manufacture in decent numbers - ?). anybody have ballpark pricing on either system, or is that proprietary oem knowledge?

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Still shooting for Sea Otter deadline. Building jig and hopefully welding the main triangle tonight! Need to age and fit it to the g-boxx tomorrow. Could be some late nights!

The g-boxx is under 900 euros for OEM purchasers, with a decent shipping charge to the states. We have boxes #74 and #75 from their production of the g-boxx2. I have reason to believe there are only a handful in the states. The suntour v-boxx is around $700 us, but they wouldnt sell them to me. They dont want to enter the us market yet, they dont feel its worth the effort for the US customer at this point.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Wow!!!!!! $1400 is way to much for that thing!!!!!:disgust1:
sounds about right. a rohloff is close to that, and doesn't have the stressed member housing / cranks / pivot mount stuff / going on. if it has similar longevity & functionality it's not unreasonable for a 1st generation, low production product.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
sounds about right. a rohloff is close to that, and doesn't have the stressed member housing / pivot mount stuff going on. if it has similar longevity & functionality it's not unreasonable for a 1st generation, low production product.
I agree. Plus, the machine work is first class and the stuff is really nicely finished. That pricing was for small order size as well...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Not saying you haven't do a great job man, you have. I just would not see myself spending that. Plus am surprised you didn't put a split pivot on the back. I think the first G Boxx bike with a split pivot design will be $$$.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
well that's disappointing. we really needed something like this (a ~mass produced price point modular tranny) to mainstream gearbox bike production. hopefully nicolai's version is much better. i'd assume it'd be much more expensive though (unless he's contracting out manufacture in decent numbers - ?). anybody have ballpark pricing on either system, or is that proprietary oem knowledge?
I know the price on the v-boxx was MUCH less than the g-boxx. Think multitudes less.

With a little feed back from riders and an honest effort by Suntour, it could be much better.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Not saying you haven't do a great job man, you have. I just would not see myself spending that. Plus am surprised you didn't put a split pivot on the back. I think the first G Boxx bike with a split pivot design will be $$$.
Yeah money in royalty payments to DW or Trek!!!

I stayed away from patents for a reason, even if it is just a personal project. Didnt want to step on toes. Don't think I didnt consider this! :)

If you factor into the price of the g-boxx for cranks, bottom bracket, rear derailleur, cassette, shifter, front ring and a chainguide, as well as pivot assembly, I think that you will find the price to be pretty reasonable.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Wow!!!!!! $1400 is way to much for that thing!!!!!:disgust1:

X9 Rear D. - 100
Shimano Saint cranks - 325
X9 Shifter - 60
E13 LG-1 - 135
SRAM PC990 Cassette - 90
DH Chainring - 40

Change:

X0 Rear D. - 235
X0 Rear Shifter - 115

--

Cant rip a GBoxx of on a stump or rock slot. No chain slap. Wider/Stronger wheel. Get ogled by Gisele Bundchen........

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... and they're not even mainstream yet!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I hope this bike it the one that makes it into all the mags coverage of sea otter. There is always the un-known rider or builder that gets a picture or a little right up on there hand made racing machine.
Yes and that is where he should sell himself and his bike to companys for free product to put on the bike. I don't understand why all the guys building such cool and new age designs don't do this to help themselves out. If I was this guy and was at Sea Otter I would be walking away with some free bling to go on the bike before the Mags get a chance to snap pics or do an article on the bike and his work.

Just my 2 cents!!!! And yes it can be done!!!!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Bike WILL be at Sea Otter. After a mad dash to the finish and some awesome help from my coworker, Steve the welder, it is complete. Heat treat right now and components will go on tomorrow at Sea Slugger. See you guys there!!

Oct 14, 2007
I know we spend hours on showing different angles and geo's...but how about giving us an idea of how this whole project came together

for instance, i'm sure many are wondering:

1) where did u purchase the tubes from and how easy was it to make them custom sized

2) where did u purchase your various tooling to get through the whole thing

3) what was the average cost of A) & B)

4) what is the minimum size requirement in terms of a room that i need to fit all this equipement

5) what CAD program did you use?

6) how long where the delivery times for shipping/receiving of A) & B)

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I know we spend hours on showing different angles and geo's...but how about giving us an idea of how this whole project came together

for instance, i'm sure many are wondering:

1) where did u purchase the tubes from and how easy was it to make them custom sized

2) where did u purchase your various tooling to get through the whole thing

3) what was the average cost of A) & B)

4) what is the minimum size requirement in terms of a room that i need to fit all this equipement

5) what CAD program did you use?

6) how long where the delivery times for shipping/receiving of A) & B)
he already told us...

www.fairing.com for tubing, they will ship in about 3 days providing they have the tubes in stock. They have a huger range of butted tubes to choose from and there not deer. You could get enough for a a whole front triangle for approx $100 including headube, gussets, BB etc ect..