Quantcast

Subaru / Mondraker Bicycles - Fabien's bike sponsor announced!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
14.5" bb height.....somehow I bet this gets changed for Fabien's ride since he likes his BB in the ground ;)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
didn't see that one comming. Its not too long since the mondreaker dh bike was just one of those tiawan cookie cutter m1 clones the same as the azonic recoil. The current one looks good kinda m1 meets v10 it will be interesting to see how it changes over the next year or two with fabien on board.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That poor boy has been on some crappy looking bikes eh?

Hasn't held him back much though....
FYI crappy looking != crappy performing.

Its not the bike, its the rider.

barel, minaar, hill, peaty, the athertons... if you put those guys on big wheels they'd still pin it better than anyone.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
i to originally expected lapierre... but heard a few rumblings a while back about other companies such as Mondraker.. but obviously salary & future goals w/ the companies has a lot to do with it all... It would seem that mondraker wants to make a push in the market w/ their signing of Fabien... not a bad rider to choose! ;)

although the bike might not "look" the best (though it looks descent enough). I'm sure it'll perform well for Fabien. This kind of reminds me of when the MadCatz (now Monster) team signed w/ Iron Horse. not too many people thought much of the SGS frames then... but w/ new designs & input from riders, it's become HUGE! maybe this will go the same way.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Dylan your right but the bike is damn ugly and it kinda pisses me off that Fabien doesn't ride something better( I wished sth more high tech for him after kona)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
although the bike might not "look" the best (though it looks descent enough). I'm sure it'll perform well for Fabien. This kind of reminds me of when the MadCatz (now Monster) team signed w/ Iron Horse. not too many people thought much of the SGS frames then... but w/ new designs & input from riders, it's become HUGE! maybe this will go the same way.
Quite right. The SGS wasn't the most sought after frame of the time was it...
Lets see what Mondraker does with one of the best (if not the best) riders on their side...

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
FYI crappy looking != crappy performing.

Its not the bike, its the rider.

barel, minaar, hill, peaty, the athertons... if you put those guys on big wheels they'd still pin it better than anyone.
My grandpa (who is not into bikes, but likes golf) used to always say "Jack Nicklaus could play with a broom and still qualify for the open".

That said, I think the bike *looks* fine.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Poor Fabien. 3 out of the last 4 Worlds were decided by less than a second, and anybody who really thinks that a bike can't be a half-second difference on a 4 minute course is deluded. In 2003 Rennie wasn't racing on a stock SGS, and by 2004 they were on proto Sundays. I hope I'm proved wrong and Fabien kills it at the WC and Worlds next year, but...

and I hate the faux SC front end.

edit - although this could be progression... he went from faux bar to four bar. :D

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
There's no doubt that Fabien will be on a one-off rig. Didn't his Kona have a 12" BB, 6" of travel, and a 60* head angle?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
f*ck watever copy you guys think it is, fabien is going to rip no matter what. he is one of the most talented riders racing, and im sure he didnt learn to win on custom bikes

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
good to see another small company getting into it. Bike is basically same design as a spec bighit but I'm sure fabien will rip on it.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
12 inch bb? 60d head angle? what!?
There was a great article in Dirt (last year or the year before) that had all the info on Fabian and his Kona. If I recall correctly everything he rode was stock for the most part but with shock mounting changes that made the bottom bracket and head angle completely whacked out. He was more concerned with body position and suspension characteristics than having the standard sort of geometry that most bikes use. Probably one of the best techy articles I've read.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
he had a 6in travel bike because that was the only way to get the bb height where he wanted it.

i was trying to look for that dirt mag, but cant find it. annoying.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The revamp and rethink of the Kona DH bike started the day Fabian first sat on one......in the end it turned into a sick bike.

That is probably going to happen here. I cant imagine he would agree to ride that "flaming pile of dung" down a WC track.....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The revamp and rethink of the Kona DH bike started the day Fabian first sat on one......in the end it turned into a sick bike.

That is probably going to happen here. I cant imagine he would agree to ride that "flaming pile of dung" down a WC track.....
Yep, Fabian can be like that Chef from hell on TV that comes in and fixes up a $hitty restaurant.
His resume should read:

"Do you have a turd for a DH bike? Well, hire me as your rider, and I will come in and tell you exactly where to apply the turd polish.
And hurry up, before KHS signs me."

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts

According to the Dirt article the changes were not made by Kona. He was never given any custom frames to ride and simply worked with the lower shock mount position (by using a bolt on piece of metal) and chanistay length adjustments (the original Kona he rode had two). He also added the floating brake to get what most would consider some strange suspension characteristics.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
According to the Dirt article the changes were not made by Kona. He was never given any custom frames to ride and simply worked with the lower shock mount position (by using a bolt on piece of metal) and chanistay length adjustments (the original Kona he rode had two). He also added the floating brake to get what most would consider some strange suspension characteristics.
I read those articles too a couple years ago.....who knows how much i forgot. Can look it up when at home later.....

But he did get a a custom frame once as part of the testing, i thought. It wasn't a custom frame every year type thing it was part of the process of evolving the bike into something he thought was correct.

Didn't the geometry numbers change drastically from 2003 to 2007....and didn't the frame get lighter.....?

2003 HA 67, BB 14.6
2007 HA 63, BB 13.5

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Yep, Fabian can be like that Chef from hell on TV that comes in and fixes up a $hitty restaurant.
His resume should read:

"Do you have a turd for a DH bike? Well, hire me as your rider, and I will come in and tell you exactly where to apply the turd polish.
And hurry up, before KHS signs me."
hahaha.....that's a great show, good analogy.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I read those articles too a couple years ago.....who knows how much i forgot. Can look it up when at home later.....

But he did get a a custom frame once as part of the testing, i thought. It wasn't a custom frame every year type thing it was part of the process of evolving the bike into something he thought was correct.

Didn't the geometry numbers change drastically from 2003 to 2007....and didn't the frame get lighter.....?

2003 HA 67, BB 14.6
2007 HA 63, BB 13.5
I don't recall any mention of a custom frame, but I'll look it up at home tonight. Probably one of my favorite Dirt articles so I know exactly where that issue is.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I don't recall any mention of a custom frame, but I'll look it up at home tonight. Probably one of my favorite Dirt articles so I know exactly where that issue is.
All the articles on him have been excellent, he has alot of interesting things to say.