Quantcast

successful shoulder surgery ?

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Anyone actually have a successful shoulder surgery ?

I'm on my 25+ dislocation (originally occurred riding) Can't take it anymore.

I've done PT, Pullups, Lifting... Still happens.

:nopity:

Apr 12, 2005
MA
I had shoulder surgery done in may last year.

I didn't have a problem with it dislocating though. I had torn my subscapularis (sp) which I guess is like pulling the muscle of of the bone.

So, anyways, they went in and fixed it in a day, and I went home that night. Feels great now, it was still sore until after a few weeks of pt though...

Hope that helps a bit.

gmac said:
Anyone actually have a successful shoulder surgery ?

I'm on my 25+ dislocation (originally occurred riding) Can't take it anymore.

I've done PT, Pullups, Lifting... Still happens.

:nopity:

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I had a combo done March 05. Removed the collarbone plate that I had bent several times and they fixed a rotator cuff at the same time.

Sounds like you have done everything else possible. Time for you to go under the knife. If you are in good shape otherwise your recovery should be good. I kept working out with medium weight to stay strong right up to the day before surgery.

LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR about recovery time. Too many of us macho types do too much too soon and have setbacks in recovery. This time (for once) I listened to the ortho's orders and recovery was quick and full.

Good luck, Chris

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
i had surgery august 17 on my rotator cuff and my labrum (sp?) i did all my pt work and that helped a lot but what i found helped me the most was going to a chiropractor a couple months later.

L

luelling

I have a problem with frontal dislocations on my left shoulder and was considering the surgery for a while. I opted not to do it just based on cost. From what I've heard and read, you arm has to be immobile for a long time and I don't think my work would be happy about that.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
After a couple dislocations is it painfull? Or is it more like "great not this again" Always wondered that.

I injured my shoulder this past summer and it was painful for a good 4-5 months after and to this day the skin all around the front of my shoulder/collar bone area has the tingly numb feeling when you touch it.

Dan

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Duzitall said:
Dan, sounds like you might have broken your collarbone.
Naw,

I had x-rays done when I crashed and they showed up negative, however, I noticed the injured side collar bone has a sharper curve to it then the other side, is it possible to bend a bone?

Dan

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
rockymt21 said:
Naw,

I had x-rays done when I crashed and they showed up negative, however, I noticed the injured side collar bone has a sharper curve to it then the other side, is it possible to bend a bone?

Dan
I certainly hope not.

Sometimes small fractures take over a week to show up on an x-ray. Your body has to react to it first. There's a reasonable chance you fractured it, and it just didn't show up.

Oh... And back to the point of this tread.

My dad, a co-worker, and a riding friend all have had shoulder surgery within the last six months. My riding buddy had a problem very similar to yours. It would actually pop out while riding, didn't even need to crash.

If it's that bad, just get the surgery. You'll be glad you did.
And take your time with the rehab - do it right the first time and you'll be so much better off than you are now.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I had the same problem with multiple dislocations. Had my labrum repaired in November. Six weeks in a sling, then rehab for 4-6 mos. It sucks at the beginning. Sleeping sucks. Getting dressed sucks. Washing your hair sucks. Putting on a belt sucks. Currently at about 90% ROM and working on strength, going to PT 2 days a week, besides 2-3 days in the gym. Still suffering with that last 10%, especially in subduction and abduction. Doc says I'll get it eventually. Hope it was worth it. Guess I'll find out when I fall off my bike for the first time.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
rockymt21 said:
After a couple dislocations is it painfull? Or is it more like "great not this again" Always wondered that.
one of my friends has dislocated his shoulder 13 times and everytime it hurts him, so yeah its painfull everytime

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
rockymt21 said:
Dan
When you have dislocations like that people are going "great not this again" but at the same it hurts like hell.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I get more pissed off each time it dislocates.

It is not so much the pain as it is demoralizing.

I'm sooo tired of it holding me back.

RHmoto

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
South Bay, Cali
If you have the time to recover get it done. But you definitely need to stay on top of keeping it strong and tight surgery or no surgery. I had pretty much a full overhaul on my shoulder a while back and it sucked, but its alot better now then having my shoulder pop out when I roll over in my sleep. But no joke if you don't keep it strong your skrewed no matter what. 2 cents given.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Haplipe said:
When you have dislocations like that people are going "great not this again" but at the same it hurts like hell.
my experience has been different. my right shoulder has been out more times than i can count since about age 8? or so (i'm 24 now). it hurt the first few times but now just feels "weird". no pain, but i can tell something isn't right even before it goes out in that period of instability.

Fool, "subduction" isn't a movement as far as i know, unless your arm is like a tectonic plate, i suppose. adduction maybe?

compared to my good shoulder, which is loose but not frankly unstable, i have less abduction, less external rotation (imaging winding up to throw a pitch, less of that), but i can reach farther down my back (think backscratching).

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
Once the glenohumeral jt dislocates 1x it isvery easy to happen over and over. It sounds like you are very aware.

One of the surgical procedures to fix this problem is a 'Bankart Repair'. Basically cut front capsule and fold it over thus tightening it up. Most re-current dislocations occur out the front so once it is tight and you have done the proper rehab...should be good to go.

I have personaly seen many good outcomes.