Quantcast

Sugar mountain for XC riders?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
no prob..would hate to see you go to Sugar just to make 1 steep, boring pedal up the middle of a slope and then turn around and go straight back down the mountain. In fairness to Sugar, they did cut a new XC course but from what I understand it made the descent shorter as opposed to longer.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Near Boone in Damascus, VA there is a place called Bear Tree that is well worth the short trip, but get a map or you may not come out!

ridemap.com

Chimp
Nov 22, 2005
I always had a lot of fun when i went to brown mountain atv park. Lots of climbing, but wicked fun riding back down.

conair-mtb

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
Eastern NC
Last time I went to Sugar we tried the XC trails...the maps were almost useless in guiding you to where they are supposed to be. When we asked a guard about the directions we couldn't even finish the question when he ranted about not knowing about any trails and how he wished "you bikers would leave me alone." We finally found the trails but they didn't turn out to be worth much...went back to the lift an did the DH runs.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When we asked a guard about the directions we couldn't even finish the question when he ranted about not knowing about any trails and how he wished "you bikers would leave me alone."
I had the same run in when I paid to use the DH trails and lift, only to find everything except the open slope to be unridable due to downed trees.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I had the same run in when I paid to use the DH trails and lift, only to find everything except the open slope to be unridable due to downed trees.
You left out the fact that Sugar was in a FEMA declared distaster area due to severe flooding that occured 1 month prior. Remember the cross tie staircase backfilled with gravel being completely empty of gravel and all of Mitchell County was in the midst of filing for federal assistance funding.

Not an excuse...just a fact about that 1 particular trip.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ah, the good ole days.
I remember Sugar making all the families walk down from the top that day, including a bunch of pregnant women, because they had too many people on the lift. Nothing like seeing a bunch of pizzed off rednecks with thick moustaches marching toward the bottom of the mountain demanding a refund.
Quality experience.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ah, the good ole days.
I remember Sugar making all the families walk down from the top that day, including a bunch of pregnant women, because they had too many people on the lift. Nothing like seeing a bunch of pizzed off rednecks with thick moustaches marching toward the bottom of the mountain demanding a refund.
Quality experience.

Yep, that was the day. :cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I don't think it was the walk down. I think it was the fact that they were without the constantly flowing international brews at the bottom.

Could you imagine hitting the hill in search of all that beer, taking a quick ride up the lift...only to be stranded and forced to walk down as your buzz is wearing off. It'd be like shutting off the taps on St. Patrick's Day for 2 hours and making the locals watch National Geographic....