Quantcast

Sugar Mtn.

digga37

Chimp
Jun 12, 2010
Fl
Took a trip up to sugar this past weekend since their website said they would have the lift turning on weekends starting 4th of July. Mostly hike a bike to the top via ski runs. Trail at the top was easy to find but after the rock face could'nt find the rest.
Will the trails be marked better once they open?
Any trail work planned?
Think it will be worth the lift ticket?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I am pretty much been doing must of the trail work, but i have run into some random guys in the evenings doing some work also which is awesome. All day lift tickets are $22, but be advised the lift runs slow during the summer to accommodate pedestrians. It takes at least 20 minutes to ride the lift from the bottom to the top. It takes around the same time to shuttle and with the condo owners in town this time of year parking up top will get your vehicle towed.
There is a pdf file of the dh, super D, and what is left of the cc course post reserve construction on the website if you have not found it already. I assume you found the trail head at the top by the entrance to woopdedoo. From there it parallels north ridge, crosses to the left for a small wooded section, then crosses to the right before the dogleg, then crosses again on the left into a steep washout and rock section and under the lift into more woods and eventually dumps out onto easy street.
Drop me a line next time you are around, I ride at least 3 times a week and on weekends throughout the summer.

digga37

Chimp
Jun 12, 2010
Fl
Thanks I will, parents recently moved up to johnson city so i plan on doing several more summer trips. will hopefully get up to snowshoe sometime this summer.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Snowshoe is awesome, check the website and call them they always have some kind of promotion going on during the summer.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am pretty much been doing must of the trail work, but i have run into some random guys in the evenings doing some work also which is awesome. All day lift tickets are $22, but be advised the lift runs slow during the summer to accommodate pedestrians. It takes at least 20 minutes to ride the lift from the bottom to the top. It takes around the same time to shuttle and with the condo owners in town this time of year parking up top will get your vehicle towed.
There is a pdf file of the dh, super D, and what is left of the cc course post reserve construction on the website if you have not found it already. I assume you found the trail head at the top by the entrance to woopdedoo. From there it parallels north ridge, crosses to the left for a small wooded section, then crosses to the right before the dogleg, then crosses again on the left into a steep washout and rock section and under the lift into more woods and eventually dumps out onto easy street.
Drop me a line next time you are around, I ride at least 3 times a week and on weekends throughout the summer.
when you pop out of the first woods up top, cross the slope immediately to a little island on the left in the woods. It's a big turtle back rock slab that's tricky. Then back across the slope to the rock slab and out on the slope, then 50 yards down slope turn left down the bank about 100 yards BEFORE the 3/4 lift(straight down) and there is a second entrance 50 yards further down...let me know what you think of our hard work. :thumb:

Oh, and they keep a trail map at the far left lift tower (looking down the mountain) if you have trouble. They're free and the resort itself is open to MTB sun up to sun down free of charge, so climb to your hearts desire if you're a goat. Ride the lift if you've got dough or snake a shuttle if you're feeling brave.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
fyi the second entrance to the dungeon has a gigantic rock in the middle of it. And we can shuttle since it is technically a public road, we just can't park up there. So if you have a driver no problem. But be advised the owner of the second to last/highest unit ran me off the road last year...He pulled out in front of me after I had dropped my bike off as I was on the way down in my truck(I lock my bike up top and then hike up and do trail work), I had nowhere to go but into the mulch and I almost hit a huge rock. He proceeded to tell me that it was a huge liability to drive up and down the mountain and that they are trying to ban us from shuttling unless we have a certificate of liability...I then proceeded to explain to him that it was a liability for him to run me off the road and that it was a public road and I was not on nor parking on his property.
So anyway you can imagine the type of people we are dealing with so please do not park on or in anyone's property because it will become gated and ruin it for the rest of us.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Well sort of, by way of New Jersey of course...JK but doesn't matter where he was from. Fact is they are just looking for an excuse to end our fun so be aware.

jwdirtbag

Chimp
Jun 8, 2010
Boone, NC
I'm thinking about doing some riding at Sugar to check it out sometime this weekend or next week. Which trails are the best DH? I dont want alot of cc.

ag7gu

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
MD
Rewster and I are trying to do some Sugar shuttles Saturday if anyone is interested in joining us. Hopefully get there around 11am. -anne

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just a guess, but I bet that guy was from Florida.:rolleyes:
Off topic a bit, but one of the MANY reasons they're such asshat drivers is because those states have an insurance coverage called "No Fault" insurance. Those douches get to run into each other, both blame one another, get a cop to write it up as dual fault and everybody gets their F*** up paid for.

Explain to him next time he doesn't get that coverage in NC maybe?:rolleyes:

Besides, why worry about that guy. He's only there 4 days a year.:D

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah no doubt lol. And if you were going to spend $350-500k on a mountain home why buy a condo?Especially a janky ass one with crappy landscaping and super rude neighbors?

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Florida insurance policies + Florida lawyers = my DJs plowed because a kid (Parents) sued my homeowners for a broken ankle. They went for 250k (the max) and got 40k.