Quantcast

Sugar or Windrock

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Trying to plan a trip, should I consider Sugar over WR? I have never been to sugar, how does it compare to WR?

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
Nowhere near as gnar less drops and jumps more giant flowy rockgardens still
Fun and def faster than wr. Less trails but they do have a lift a crazy slow ass
Lift though. You should def check sugar out.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
What kind of trip are you talking about? You've been to WR 100 times.

If you're talking a trip for your family, there's definitely an arseload more for your wife and daughter to do in Boone/Blowing Rock (shopping, spa, tourist stuff, etc) opposed to eating Krystal and watching 4x4s in windrock. In the meantime you can slip in some dh runs at sugar, maybe find some other not-so-public runs if you're there for a couple days or more. With it being new to you, you'd enjoy the same run 5-10 times a day. And enjoy the high country at night.

If you're talking about a day-trip to ride, I'd say it's still worth checking out once. They've put in some work this year cleaning it up, much nicer than its been in a while, and really fun.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC

If you're talking a trip for your family, there's definitely an arseload more for your wife and daughter to do in Boone/Blowing Rock (shopping, spa, tourist stuff, etc) opposed to eating Krystal and watching 4x4s in windrock. In the meantime you can slip in some dh runs at sugar, maybe find some other not-so-public runs if you're there for a couple days or more. With it being new to you, you'd enjoy the same run 5-10 times a day. And enjoy the high country at night.

If you're talking about a day-trip to ride, I'd say it's still worth checking out once. They've put in some work this year cleaning it up, much nicer than its been in a while, and really fun.
Krystals is how I talk my wife into shuttling us all day:D I'm just talking a day trip and wanted to know how Sugar compared.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
The only way there is more than 1 run is to shuttle back up and do another, except for a 30 second alt line to throw in. Sugar has the best single trail but Windrock is by far a better destination....followed by a loaded tater from Captain Toms
That pretty much sums it up for me, Thanks Josh.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011

This is kind of what I was getting at but yeah
Windrock> sugar

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
A slow ass lift is better than no lift. If you are just riding solo for a day come check it out.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I don't have a video, I will try to get some video this weekend. I work there so I ride almost every Sunday. Check the weather before you come up, looks like some rain this weekend.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I'll be there all day, no mowing this week. Definitely check the weather Josh. We won't run the lift in thunderstorms. As of now the forecast is : 70% chance of thunderstorms, doesn't look good for Sunday. Hopefully the forecast will change.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I'll be there all day, no mowing this week. Definitely check the weather Josh. We won't run the lift in thunderstorms. As of now the forecast is : 70% chance of thunderstorms, doesn't look good for Sunday. Hopefully the forecast will change.
After riding Snowshoe in the rain last week Sugar will be nothing.;) I'll let you know if I can make it.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Right on hope you had a good trip. All day tickets are $25. If you ride all day you can get 10 runs in.

woolin

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
heading down to windrock tomorrow with a truck full of people rain chance is down to 30%.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
Hey Butch, thanks for the promotion to management! WBD trail is at my house, 12miles SE of the I40-I240 junction in WNC. Monkeys welcome if you cam deal with the above stated hours.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Rained for about an hour last night but like mike said all rock. Lizards is always slick anyway. Chance of t storms around 12 today but hopefully the weather will hold out.