Quantcast

Sugar Ride Report

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
A buddy and I went up and rode Sugar MTN this weekend. It was pretty dang fun. We conned the security guy with $20 bucks to shuttle us all day. Still had to wal from 3/4 to the top. CRAP that sucked, but was worth it. The new stuff is really cool. The very first Rock drop looks VERY sketchy, IMO. I didn't ride it, so I dont' know how it flows, but maybe after seeing some people hit it I'll give it a try. The course is pretty fun, but definitely needs some bedding in and flow reworking on some sections.

Donovans Dungeon is rideable but slow and techy with LOTS of wholes in between rocks and roots that will send you over the bars if you aren't careful.
The new entrance into lizards lane could be cooler, kind of non eventful and the dump into the old entrance of Lizards Lane, could use somthing to keep from killing speed climbing that short little hill. The creek jump at the end of lizards lane could use a better transition, I think. Something farther out and with more of a transition slope to it instead of a flat type landing.

The Table at the end is absolutely worthless. MAYBE, they haven't finished shaping it yet. First off, the lip is OK, but the landing transition is steep and WAY too short for the speed that PRO guys will be carrying down to the finish. IMO, it needs to be lengthened by about 20 feet and start the transition at the top of the current one and make it more of a gradual transition so PRO guys or expert guys can air it out as far as they want.

Overall, it is a cool course to ride and should be fun if a few of the changes I've echoed from other people who have ridden it are made.

click on this link for pics from the new part of Donovans Dungeon and some of the other stuff at Sugar:

If you want the full siae images, click on the first pic, then click on the next pic and your 3rd pic will be FULL size.

http://homepage.mac.com/aappling/PhotoAlbum3.html

nchuckster

Chimp
Apr 11, 2005
sweet good pics the dungeon looks really fun and i see what your saying about the creek crossing. i haven't been to sugar in like 3 years would definately like to get up there. thought about racing it buy never done any racing how would one decide what class to put thereself in. I mean what is the difference between the sport class and the expert class.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Oh, and be sure to watch out for kids hiking up the dang rock face that is part of the national course now. I was heading over the top down and two kids were playing right in the middle of the line down. I had to hit my brakes and push the bike over sideways. Almost endoed the whole freakin thing. Someone might want ot post some signage to families hiking up there not to hike on the bike trails.