Quantcast

Sugar Update

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
For everyone racing DH there is good news: This from the Sugar National website.

Make it to the bottom in one piece and it’s just a short lift ride back to the top and another run to glory. :crazy:

I just need to work on the one piece part.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
For everyone racing DH there is good news: This from the Sugar National website.

Make it to the bottom in one piece and it’s just a short lift ride back to the top and another run to glory. :crazy:

I just need to work on the one piece part.
This just in. Juan may be helping shape the slalom so that you have something else to do while you're there. Oh..and now that you guinea piged the drop, it's got a straight run-in....:bonk:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Rode there today and I have to say the trail has worn in good over the year. I will have to say it felt like it was a lot easier than last year too. I like the new lines through Lizards lane. The funny thing is last year at the National I didn't get much practice on the course and didn’t get to look at all the different lines. I took some time today to look at lines and found so many lines that are much better than the lines I was running last year. Glad I got some practice in today due to the practice time we will be getting for the National this year. To only have 1.5 hours to practice both Sat and Sun is going to such bad. I can't believe that is all they are giving for Pro practice this year. They should give us more time with the lift as slow as it is. Wait I am talking about NORBA here so I guess I should expect more. Maybe like the 3 hours we get at Snow Shoe before a race run........... By the way the lift was about 28 mins to the top this time. Much better than last year at 43 mins ride.

:cheers: Cecil

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
i rode today! it was alot of fun! i still hate the uphills but there good for me .
Were you one of the 2 guys that showed up around 2 esh? I got 6 runs in yesterday started around 10:30 and stoped at 3pm. I would say I took about an hour playing around between runs.

As for the uphill, let off the brakes and you will not feel any of them.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
well i wasnt exactly going fast. my el caminos stopped working. thats the only thing there good at stopping at. yeah i know the second run i didnt feel them.

yea weh showed up around 2 oclock. the pile of rocks was nice it did keep us dry.

i dont think i t was lizards lane where it was.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
what is the trick to "butchs huck" i looked at it and just thought what the heal? do you huck it all the way to the bottom or double stepdown it?
just ride straight down the middle of those 2 rock steps...just like riding a set of steps at city hall...with a pissed off cop weilding a battering ram if you get too close to the fountain. :happydance:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
well i wasnt exactly going fast. my el caminos stopped working. thats the only thing there good at stopping at. yeah i know the second run i didnt feel them.

yea weh showed up around 2 oclock. the pile of rocks was nice it did keep us dry.

i dont think i t was lizards lane where it was.
there is a creek in Lizards Lane that is wheel deep. It's just a spring really. You go down the little muddy ditch section , then up and left over that long, flat turtle rock. Right past it on the only flat spot is the spring. I was getting annoyed b/c every run was bone dry and then my ankles were getting hosed by 1 5 foot wide mud puddle every time.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
there is a creek in Lizards Lane that is wheel deep. It's just a spring really. You go down the little muddy ditch section , then up and left over that long, flat turtle rock. Right past it on the only flat spot is the spring. I was getting annoyed b/c every run was bone dry and then my ankles were getting hosed by 1 5 foot wide mud puddle every time.
Yah, its nice to cross the creek now a few times than ride in it the whole time like in the past. They did a good job....

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
is it going to be on the DH course this year? (sorry if this has already been discussed)
I was talking to a few workers up there on Sun. and they said that there is talk about not having it this year due to all the Pros that didn't think it was all that safe. Wait, we are talking about Downhill here are we not? I am find with it ether way.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Eric is not too keen on it being in the course and I can't say I blame him. When we cut it originally, it looked completely different. With the straight run-in, it was just mulch with those two big rocks. After rains and riders, it looks alot different.

I'm riding it Saturday and I think I'll know for sure then (but it's not my decision, it's Erics.)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i think i've just decided to say "eff sugar." i just crunched all of the numbers and it's ridiculously expensive for such a minute amount of time on the mountain.
3 hours (crowded) practice on friday for DH = $20 lift ticket
noah's race fee for DS on friday afternoon w/ 2 hours practice = $27
1.5 hours DH practice on saturday (2 runs max) = $20 lift ticket
DH registration = $55

camping = $20 per night for minimum of 3 nights = $60
Food = $75 -ish
Gas = $65 round trip

for a grand total of $322! holy hell that's stupid expensive for one race run and 4 practice runs for me and about 2 hours of practice for noah and realistically 2 race runs (1 qual, 1 elimination...he'll be racing 14 yr olds :rolleyes: )

i think i'll either race DS w/ noah so i don't have to pay for lodging and food or just let him race. i can't NOT go because he's super stoked on going and his Cycletherapy jersey should be ready by then ;) i just think i'll forego the insane price of the DH/lift fee BS.

are they allowing singlespeeds for DS?
-and-
can i practice Dh w/out registering?

oh yeah...Eff Norba!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Yep, we only get 1.5 hours each day for Semi/Pro practice. Maybe 2 to 3 runs if we are lucky. I want the old normal Sugar race back!!!!! Or give us more riding time!!!!! It almost better to go drive 6.5 hours to Snowshoe and get 3 days of riding in for that kind of money.....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
So, you are finally seeing the NORBA crap effect you.

We'll be rocking Windrock. Anyone want to throw together an ghetto, time ourselves race that weekend. Say... 3 courses, 3 combined times. Winner and loser takes home a 6 pack of PBR tall-boys.