Quantcast

Suggestions for 4X/Trail wheelset

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I'm now running my P3 original wheelset (DoubleTracks on some Shimano rear, and Specialized 20mm front), which is decent (though the front hub seems to be dying). I got Hookworms on that, and now I want to begin riding a bit out of the city in weekends (goes well with a new 4X track around).

So I don't want to replace the tires and tube every weekend, it seems like alot of hassle (and the Hookworms are really tough to put on), and that wheelset is really heavy, so I thought about getting another set, with Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35".

Budget is something like 300$, give or take.
I thought about Marzocchi front, XT rear, both with 26" Mavic EX729, or Arrow 26" FRX rims.
Should I take Hadely front hub?

Other opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Shanks

Chimp
Jan 3, 2004
Ontario, Canada
The only time you should spend for the front hub is if you have the matching bling rear hub.

EX721's are a good rim choice! I run them on my 4X bike and DH bike. As for tires I've had good luck running a 2.35 Minion front and either the matching rear or my highroller slick in the back. Both with bontragger ultralight tubes.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Azonic Outlaws seem to be pretty sweet. They're light, fairly strong, fit within your budget (I paid $229) and they can convert from through axle front rear to qr with the adapters they give you. Just a thought, I'm liking mine at the moment.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Both good hub choices. If you maintain an XT properly, you won't have problems, and it's affordable. Marzocchi hubs are great too, just don't spray down the hub with a hose after each ride. The only think you'll get from a "better" front hub is weigh savings. I'd stick with your choices.
As far as rims are concerned, FRX's are really light for how strong they are. EX721s are lighter, but probably not quite as strong (but still quite beefy). EX729s are super-strong, but are a bit too heavy, I think. I'd stick with one of the first two. Both have about the same rim width. Arrows look cooler, but weigh 20g more per rim than an EX721 (CD color looks good...). If you're afraid of hurting your wheels, go FRX. If you haven't had problems hurting wheels, and aren't changing your style too much, go with the Mavics.
Oh, and both DropNZone & UniversalCycles build great sets well within your budget. Give either one a call. I'm sure they have good advice too.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I reckon that

EX721 compare with Arrow FRX in strength and width
EX729 compare with Arrow FRX in weight only

EX721 circa 590gr
EX729 circa 675gr
Arrow FRX (26") 640gr

So i dont understand how on earth the 729 is much heavier than the FRX.

(enter flamesuit)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I see your point, 35g doesn't seem like much. But for that kind of riding, that extra 35g is probably unnecessary. And you're right, the gap between the FRXs and the EX721s is larger than I thought. But again, for his riding usage, I think that the EX729 is just unnecessary strength and weight. If it's only 25 additional grams over the EX729, wht not get the Atomlab DHR's? Because that's 110g over the EX721, and he's not racing DH and destroying rims. You could build a bike on that principle (it's only x more grams, and it's stronger), some people do. The people that do have very heavy, very indestructible rides. If you want to race 4X with it, and have a decently light bike for trail riding, go with the lighest stuff that will get the job done.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by erikkellison
I see your point, 35g doesn't seem like much. But for that kind of riding, that extra 35g is probably unnecessary. And you're right, the gap between the FRXs and the EX721s is larger than I thought. But again, for his riding usage, I think that the EX729 is just unnecessary strength and weight. If it's only 25 additional grams over the EX729, wht not get the Atomlab DHR's? Because that's 110g over the EX721, and he's not racing DH and destroying rims. You could build a bike on that principle (it's only x more grams, and it's stronger), some people do. The people that do have very heavy, very indestructible rides. If you want to race 4X with it, and have a decently light bike for trail riding, go with the lighest stuff that will get the job done.
To be honest with you. I would pick the ex729 over the FRX, but the real dillema as you say is EX721 or EX729. I dont have a clue on how much difference 85gr per wheel make on a ride. I mostly do trailriding with some FR/DH parts on my SX. I got a cheappo XC wheelset now that i want to get rid of and get either EX729 or EX721. Given that i am 220lbs and i want to learn how to do drops, manuals etc.... i am leaning towards the EX729

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
If it were me i would run a S/R SUV wheel set, Or single track. Tires- 4x/drytrail would be a 2.35 Minion in the front and a 2.0 larsen in the rear. If the area you are riding is well riden in a 2.35 Bling works well. I would only look to the 2.35 Larsen if the following applies 1st your a big guy, 2nd your not that smooth or 3rd more trail than 4x. all up this combo would cost you about $360-375 Good luck