Quantcast

Suggestions for a DH race bike?

Hey....I'm looking for a full DH race bike for around $2000 and was wondering what suggestions you guys have? It doesn't have to be the newest bike...maybe like a 2004 race bike would do fine. Just looking for some opinions and suggestions on what bikes are good or bad....gonna be racing at plattekill in 2 months and my old bike (an Azonic Recoil) is busted up so I'll be needing a new rig. Just give me a few ideas. Thanks for your :help:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
DH_RACER21 said:
uh lets see
-norco atomic 06
-04 a-line
-big hit fsr 2
cant tell if thats a joke or not....

anyway, do a search, theres been approximately 3625724.246 threads about race sleds. my vote is for a DHR.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DHRs are steeper and a little shorter, right? Plattekill is slow and tech, so wouldn't that be a good choice?

In any case, DHRs are nice. I like my SGS, but I don't know how well it would do at Plattekill.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Try to find something used, V10s, DHRs, Demo 8/9s, Intense M1s are all good bikes.

If you want to go new (maybe a good idea) the new Specialized Bighits are actually really nice.

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
I suggest a Sunday, it is definetely the best rig out there. But for your budget, you would be good with a Banshee or a Balfa.
DHRs are weird, they don't corner really well.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
i dont know if you can find a sunday for 2k, i havn't looked. but if you could that would be your best bet in my oppinion

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
Sorry...I've been eating Slim Jims all day long, and had some Mountain Dew Code Red, so I got all crazy here. I guess I need to go out and ride...

L

luelling

DHteamrider28 said:
Hey....I'm looking for a full DH race bike for around $2000 and was wondering what suggestions you guys have? It doesn't have to be the newest bike...maybe like a 2004 race bike would do fine. Just looking for some opinions and suggestions on what bikes are good or bad....gonna be racing at plattekill in 2 months and my old bike (an Azonic Recoil) is busted up so I'll be needing a new rig. Just give me a few ideas. Thanks for your :help:
Go with an Intense M1...you can find them used for around $1500-2000(complete) and they are killer bikes...even by todays standards. If you an extra G I would recommend my bike, the Eric Carter Edition Mongoose DH (its $3200 new)....its a killer race bike and has a good price and spec

luelling said:
Go with an Intense M1...you can find them used for around $1500-2000(complete) and they are killer bikes...even by todays standards. If you an extra G I would recommend my bike, the Eric Carter Edition Mongoose DH (its $3200 new)....its a killer race bike and has a good price and spec
My sponsor, which is also my LBS, is willing to offer me the Mongoose EC-D for around $3000 or even as low as $2600....i'm trying to get more money together but Plattekill starts soon and i dont think i'll have enough time to get more money together....what do you think about the 2600 for the EC-D?

Oh and 1 more thing...as i said before...i'm looking into getting a Chumba F4....i was wondering what you think of the Chumba F4 (the 2004 version)? I mean, from what i've heard, they are pretty good race bikes that tend to do well at plattekill - tell me if i'm wrong though....thanks guys and keep the recommendations comming

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
I have a brand new intense m1 frame with a 06 swinger 6 way for sale . pm me Yes that is correct never built had a bb or headset installed

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
DHteamrider28 said:
nice...i'm hearing a lot about V10s or M1s.....bumping this to get some other ideas.....thanks guys...keep 'em comming....what bikes would particularly do well at plattekill?
good god man.... stop asking what bike will do well at plattekill. yeah the chumba f4 "does well at plattekill" because lars won a ton of races on it. but that is not because the bike is "good at plattekill" it is because lars rips, just as he did on the M1 he had before that.

you are looking at this the wrong way, as if it is the bike that will make the difference. any DH bike from ironhorse, specialized, intense, turner, orange, santacruz, chumba, cannondale, sinister, balfa, etc, etc, the list goes on for ever will be good on everywhere. just get the right size and set the suspension up correctly.

the rest comes down to the rider (gasp... what? the rider makes all the differece, blasphemy). if you made the top 5 guys switch bikes and gave them a day to get used to them they would stiff finish top 5.

buy what you can afford and rip it up

davetrump said:
good god man.... stop asking what bike will do well at plattekill. yeah the chumba f4 "does well at plattekill" because lars won a ton of races on it. but that is not because the bike is "good at plattekill" it is because lars rips, just as he did on the M1 he had before that.

you are looking at this the wrong way, as if it is the bike that will make the difference. any DH bike from ironhorse, specialized, intense, turner, orange, santacruz, chumba, cannondale, sinister, balfa, etc, etc, the list goes on for ever will be good on everywhere. just get the right size and set the suspension up correctly.

the rest comes down to the rider (gasp... what? the rider makes all the differece, blasphemy). if you made the top 5 guys switch bikes and gave them a day to get used to them they would stiff finish top 5.

buy what you can afford and rip it up
lol....you are completely right man...i know its all up to the rider to put the bike to good use....but this is my rookie year as a team rider and i haven't exactly test ridden that many bikes (only about 5 different bikes) and i was just kinda asking for some feedback from the people on the board since most of the people here are probably experienced riders...basically i'm just seeing what most people think...and i do have a bike in mind...but i don't just want to waste my money on a crappy bike...and the bike choice is not really up to me anyway since i cant ride any bike i want without approval from my team...sorry if i upset u dude....i hope you dont think i'm some poser or something (cuz i'm not)...thanks for the advice though...keep whatever suggestions or reccomendations you guys have comming

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
DHteamrider28 said:
lol....you are completely right man...i know its all up to the rider to put the bike to good use....but this is my rookie year as a team rider and i haven't exactly test ridden that many bikes (only about 5 different bikes) and i was just kinda asking for some feedback from the people on the board since most of the people here are probably experienced riders...basically i'm just seeing what most people think...and i do have a bike in mind...but i don't just want to waste my money on a crappy bike...and the bike choice is not really up to me anyway since i cant ride any bike i want without approval from my team...sorry if i upset u dude....i hope you dont think i'm some poser or something (cuz i'm not)...thanks for the advice though...keep whatever suggestions or reccomendations you guys have comming
well said, ask away dude. I really don't know why people have so much hate .