Quantcast

suggestions for the most epic

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
It is a ways away, but it never hurts to think ahead. In any case, I've had a tough year between serious injuries, family and friends making poor choices and just generally being too busy between school and work to take the time to take care of myself. So after this christmas, I'm going to drive my POS truck somewhere with my AM bike (right when I'll be able to start riding lightly again after my current knee injury).

My question is: where should I go? I have about a week, no obligations, I'm trying to find a place with trails completely unlike Bellingham, someplace reasonably warm and some place that has that special something. What is Utah like? SoCal? What is the most epic within a couple days' drive?

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Utah may be pretty cold that time of year as would be New Mexico although both should garner serious consideration for a summertime journey away from the Pac NW norm. than being said I would have to say San Diego and I have even heard that Baja has some epic desert singletrack....And Vegas is well.....Vegas and who ever got hurt there ?:poster_oops:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
My vote is always moab. been going there since '93 and never get bored. If you have 6 hours one way to kill you could drive down to sedonna too.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
At that time of year (after xmas), it's gonna be cold in a lot of places. I'd say Bootleg Canyon and St. George would be a good option.

Another choice would be Phoenix and Sedona. Get to ride Submarine Rock and South Mountain all in the same trip. Nice. Only issue is the extended driving...

EB

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Utah may be pretty cold that time of year as would be New Mexico although both should garner serious consideration for a summertime journey away from the Pac NW norm. than being said I would have to say San Diego and I have even heard that Baja has some epic desert singletrack....And Vegas is well.....Vegas and who ever got hurt there ?:poster_oops:
I don't know, man. My main focus while riding Bootleg Canyon was to not crash or leave the bike in a non-traditional fashion. I liken the rocks that line and make up the trails to coral. The paramedics were pretty busy that day as I recall. Of course, those were the dh trails. The xc trails there were actually a blast to ride. Really sweepy and rolly. Still wouldn't want to crash on 'em.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Moab, schmoab. Very cool, but once is enough. Too much else to see in this great country. That time of year, why not just down the coast to San Diego and back? Temperate conditions and lots of good riding all the way down and back. Side trip to AZ while down there? If the weather is looking good for CA, running up and down the coast in a week would be a pretty good relaxing way to go without killing yourself in drive time.

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
Moab, schmoab. Very cool, but once is enough. Too much else to see in this great country. That time of year, why not just down the coast to San Diego and back? Temperate conditions and lots of good riding all the way down and back. Side trip to AZ while down there? If the weather is looking good for CA, running up and down the coast in a week would be a pretty good relaxing way to go without killing yourself in drive time.
You might want to rethink San Diego area right now. If you go make sure you get some footage of the 'riding'. I bet it will be pretty unique.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You might want to rethink San Diego area right now. If you go make sure you get some footage of the 'riding'. I bet it will be pretty unique.
What riding? There are very few places to ride in San Diego...even before the fire. I'd only call one of them epic.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
That's right. I forgot where your roots were... :)

You guys knew what I meant. The non-burnt coastal rides along the way. Maybe not as far south as San Diego but it looks like those places are burning too....