Quantcast

Suggestions on body armor?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I can't afford to break arms and skulls anymore so I'm looking to get some armor. Do you guys have comments on the following in terms of protection/fit/how well they breathe?

It's a little difficult to try things on over the internet overall and I'm somewhat concerned about fit since I am shorter (5'7).. From the reviews I read it seems most of them run big, right?

Dainese Gladiator Evo. -300$
661 (Pro) pressure suit -190$
Fox Launch Suit -180$
Rockgardn flack jacket - 165$
Troy Lee Designs Descender Protector -160$
Azonic/O'neal Underdog Body Armor '08 - 160$
Sette Impact Protective Suit - 90-160$
661 sp-2 pressure suit -150$
Thor Impact Rig SE - 140$
661 pressure suit -125$

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I'll be sure to shop around I just wrote down prices as I searched for images of them to see if they were what I were looking for and to see why some people complained.

Unless I start getting into Dainese territory, price isn't too much of a concern, more protection and fit.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hey mate

I would say with out a doubt Dainese Gladiator Evo, or pro (if u can afford it)

Ive had 2. The 1st lasted me for 5 years, was like a second skin. I only retired it because it smelt bad now..lol:poster_oops:

The one i have now is the 08 Pro thing one, dont know the name. Again great fit, and fits like a second skin, has saved me many times..

Im 6,6" and i run a large, but im not fat, lol and it fits great, your prob looking for a medium, i would say. but if your looking for a good fit maybe small, but the arms might be to short.

Breathability wise amazing..

others i would consider would be 661, im not a fan of the rest..

hope that helped

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
i've got an SP2 and love it. It's very breatheable and despite how light it is, you still feel like superman after a crash...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I second the Dainese. Don't think anything else even comes close regarding fit and protection. Only thing is that their sizing is off....and not always the same way. Most of their stuff runs small though.
I am currently using the Impact Race jacket and the Viking pants, but still have my old Gladiator jacket and some old knee guards. Gladiator is still good but I wanted the aluminum honeycomb spine protector of the Impact.

If you have figured out the size I would mail order it from Europe unless you get a real good deal in the US. They are WAY overpriced here.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Thanks for your responses,

For both the gladiator evo and the sp-2, it seems like they don't cover your collar bone and especially in the case of the gladiator, don't protect your upper arm which I bruise the most. That's just from seeing a 3" picture however. Thoughts on that?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Collarbones don't generally break from direct impact. usually its from the load applied by your arms trying to absorb a crash.

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Never tried the others but Dainese is the way to go if you have the $$$:biggrin:

My old one was great fit and well made. If you thik they are expensive in the states try Australia $500 +

Go the good stuff, you only get one body:cheers:

LBJ

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA

For both the gladiator evo and the sp-2, it seems like they don't cover your collar bone and especially in the case of the gladiator, don't protect your upper arm which I bruise the most. That's just from seeing a 3" picture however. Thoughts on that?
None of the current bike armors seem to take the collarbone area seriously. Most shoulder caps are more in the token 'tree-scrape' category than being substantive shoulder/clavicle protection. I got a shoulder cap kit for the SixSixOne Defender and had a local sports-gear seamstress fashion me some velcro straps to attach them to my Pressure Suit when I feel the need for the extra 'insurance.'

Still waiting for my new Pro Presure Suit to be back in inventory so I can get it :disgust1:

Last edited:

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK
Hey man, Im also small at 5'5" and i am using the 661 pressure suit pro (2008).

It is a comfy piece of armor with a lot of adjustability as to where you place your pads and tightness, The 3 strap belt helps keep the back and tail bone protector tight to your back but without needing to be tight on your stomach or affecting your breathing, It is also super cool and i love the armpit holes. The only problems i have had with mine is that you will find the chest plate rubs your nipple until it is sore but nothing a little pre-ride vaseline won't sort out and that the badges fall off in the first week if you wear a jersey. (could be good if you weight weenie)

Pete.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Collar bones nearly never break from direct impact. It is alway too much force coming from your arm that is trying to catch your body weight.

The upper arm is padded on the Dainese but only the shoulder has a hard plastic cup. Never had problems with bruises on my upper arms when wearing the jacket.
Or are you talking about the inside of your arm?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Collar bones nearly never break from direct impact. It is alway too much force coming from your arm that is trying to catch your body weight.

The upper arm is padded on the Dainese but only the shoulder has a hard plastic cup. Never had problems with bruises on my upper arms when wearing the jacket.
Or are you talking about the inside of your arm?
I am referring to the outside of my arm. That's interesting to hear about the collar bone, and would explain why most all of the jackets don't really have protection there.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
No DH body armor will protect you from a collarbone break. If I remember from my Kinesiology class, it only takes something like 12lbs of force in the right spot to snap the clavicle.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
From your responses and reading more reviews I think I'll go with the Gladiator Evo. I'm also going to go with the medium as RMboy suggested. I noticed that people commented that these suits ran small which is probably because they are based on european sizes (i.e. non-fat people), good news for me!

Thanks for your thoughts. If you have thoughts on where to get this fast too on the east coast let me know!

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
From your responses and reading more reviews I think I'll go with the Gladiator Evo. I'm also going to go with the medium as RMboy suggested. I noticed that people commented that these suits ran small which is probably because they are based on european sizes (i.e. non-fat people), good news for me!

Thanks for your thoughts. If you have thoughts on where to get this fast too on the east coast let me know!
Yeah i think you made the right choise. Just make sure you wash or rinse it, cus it can get abit smelly.:bonk:

Ryan Jackson

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
I like my rockgardn armor. It looks pretty big under the jersey but it stays in place and is very affordable. My old shop sold a lot of it.