Quantcast

Suggestions on wheel building

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
Hey guys can you suggest a economical site that i can have a nice set of wheels built with hadley hubs that won't empty my wallet to much 26in 150mm . I appreciate any input .

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
well, if you want a top notch wheelset built with extremely high quality, hit up go-ride.com. They built up my rear wheel when i first needed a 150mm spacing (it actually was a hadley laced to a mavic 729) and it was hands down the best wheel I've ever owned. It was built so well, I didn't ever have to do any major truing to it than more than just a tweak or two to a spoke once a month...and it lasted with me for a full season. I don't believe it was too much either. But the price Hadley's went up last time I ordered one, so I'm not sure. Let me just give you a tip and order the 72 engagement point hub. I didn't order that at the time, and the hub's pawl engagement system broke on me about 3 months in. So I'd recommend that.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i recommend moving this thread to the tech section...... but in the main time..i am also in the middle of getting a hadley hub... although i will have to wait a while and get a deemax in the main time due to the 350 dollar price tag......

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
Hey guys can you suggest a economical site that i can have a nice set of wheels built with hadley hubs that won't empty my wallet to much 26in 150mm . I appreciate any input .
Well, Hadleys are going to empty your wallet no matter what, but talk to the guys at Campmor in Paramus............they build sick wheels, let you pick the spokes, etc. Your parts or order from them, either way with fair prices, fast turnaround, and they give you a year of free re-truing.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
Well, Hadleys are going to empty your wallet no matter what, but talk to the guys at Campmor in Paramus............they build sick wheels, let you pick the spokes, etc. Your parts or order from them, either way with fair prices, fast turnaround, and they give you a year of free re-truing.
if youre gonna go this way...dont go to campmor. terrible cs, and unless you get mark to do your work its poor quality work. Go to Cyclesport in Park Ridge. Their mechanic Juan builds some of the highest quality wheelsets around, a much better deal than campmor. Just personal experience, and considering im a mech in the Bergen County area I know who's good and who's not...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
The Azonic Outlaws are cheap but bullet proof..... i think both are like 350 or so, built!

i heard some good things about them, but i run Mavic and Hadleys.....

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks guys I only run hadleys now my self after having bad experiences with cheaper hubs . You get what you pay for. Once you have ridden a hadley it is hard to ride anything else other than an over priced chris king i guess.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Thanks guys I only run hadleys now my self after having bad experiences with cheaper hubs . You get what you pay for. Once you have ridden a hadley it is hard to ride anything else other than an over priced chris king i guess.
Why not rebuilt your current wheelset with new Mavic Rims?????

Though, I questions the strengh od the Mavics because I cased the ladder (Salvation Ladder) opening day (new Mavic Rim) and it has a small dent/tiny crack... :-(

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
Maybe you come into Campmor with a bad attitude, because everyone there is super friendly and Mark and Geoff are both awesome wheelbuilders.............btw, if you're a mechanic in the area, why don't you recommend YOURSELF?

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
Go to cycle works, Im pretty sure they give atleast a year of free trueing not to mention john is an awsome wheel builder

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
Maybe you come into Campmor with a bad attitude, because everyone there is super friendly and Mark and Geoff are both awesome wheelbuilders.............btw, if you're a mechanic in the area, why don't you recommend YOURSELF?
because im no wheel builder ;). and i never walk in there with a bad attitude, they actually know me on a personal level...and only one of them actually treats me like a regular customer (Geoff). I stopped going there after the nice incident a few months ago.

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
I got mavic 325 wheels on there now with stock off brand hubs that are horrible Besides i want to put white rims on the bike with black spokes I am going to research the names you gave me so far . I appreciate the feed back guys .

Montana

Chimp
May 28, 2007
so far my azonic outlaws are a great wheel set. I paid only $220 for them new on ebay. I've hit every drop, jump and rock garden including races at diablo and they are still true as an arrow. They amazed me, for the price I paid for them I thought they would look like a taco after one day at Diablo but they are holding up awsome! Can't beat $220 for a wheel set.

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
Hey montana I have the atom labs on my other bike and have been running them now going on my 3 rd season I cant believe how true they have been staying i built them up with hadley hubs because i blew out the stock hubs I can not believe the beating these wheels are taking I just keep the spokes tight I have been waiting to taco these wheels but i havent done it yet after hitting all the drops here at diablo .

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Have gerald from racersedge in brooklyn 718-531-3100 build you a wheelset. He is a great mechanic. To save money I would recommend a hope front hub and a hadley rear laced to mavic 823s.