Quantcast

Summer Beer Thread

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Let's hear about some of the summer seasonals. What's good, what sucks, what's mediocre. I picked up some Magic Hat Summer Wheat, yesterday. Quite good. Does what a summer beer should - nice drinkable tase, and quenches your thist on the hot days.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm a big fan of wheat beers in the summer. Ice cold, crisp, and refreshing. The Long Trail Blackberry Wheat out of Vermont is one of my favorite seasonals. :drool:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
man our beer selection in this town stinks so bad. there is not a store around that has a decent dselection. its quite depressing. you can get a budlight in 2309584756 different size selections and quantities but you can't get a decent beer to save your life.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
berkshire_rider said:
Let's hear about some of the summer seasonals. What's good, what sucks, what's mediocre. I picked up some Magic Hat Summer Wheat, yesterday. Quite good. Does what a summer beer should - nice drinkable tase, and quenches your thist on the hot days.
Ommegang Witte.
In the Hogarten style, but a little spicier, little less sweet.
Add a little lemon = heaven on a hot summer day.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
If I'm not at a brewpub or drinking their product from a growler, I prefer Munich weissbiers like Paulaner Hefeweizen and Hacker-Pschorr Dunkelweizen. It's gotta have that strong banana/clove flavor of authenticity for me personally.

I will be having three later on today.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
A couple weeks ago a dog sat for a friend of mine. Anyway, he left my fiance and I some beer for coming over to feed & water the dog. First workds out of my mouth, "You think Scott would know me better. This isn't a summer beer." Not that I'll complain when anyone gives me a six pack of Spaten Optimator.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Summer beers are almost always wheat beers. Cloudy, nasty wheat beers. One of the few times I'll pick up a busweiser over a microbrew is when a hefeweisen is involved, yuck.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
summer beers for me include hoegaarden, corona, and stella. was not a fan of the sam adams summer ale this go-round (not sure if the recipe changed or not).

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Zark said:
Summer beers are almost always wheat beers. Cloudy, nasty wheat beers. One of the few times I'll pick up a busweiser over a microbrew is when a hefeweisen is involved, yuck.
Is it the flavor or the "cloudy, nasty" that you don't like? Just curious.

Not all wheats are cloudy, and not all are hefeweisens. I don't care for hefeweisens since I don't like the banana or clove taste a lot of them have (caused by the particular yeast used and the temperature of fermentation). I do however love wheat ales such as the Long Trail.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
McGRP01 said:
I'm with you! :)
Meh. I'm not ready to down a glass of oatmeal stout when it's 100 degrees out and I'm sitting in my room in underwear so I don't die.

For summer beer, I like Stella, Long Trail Blackberry, Otter Creek Middlebury Ale and Otter Summer...actually almost anything that's not too heavy but has some taste and body to it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Summer here in SF can be colder than fall and winter, but when I think of summer beers I think clean, crisp and refreshing. I like Sierra Summerfest but for those days when you're pounding half a case or more while playing volleyball or whatever, I'm down with Pacifico. For wheat beers I like Hoegarden, but that's mostly because I love ordering a "Big Ho."

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
JRogers said:
Meh. I'm not ready to down a glass of oatmeal stout when it's 100 degrees out and I'm sitting in my room in underwear so I don't die.
If it's Sammy Smith's Oatie Stout I'd drink it if it were 102 out!!! :drool:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
OGRipper said:
For wheat beers I like Hoegarden, but that's mostly because I love ordering a "Big Ho."
I :love: Hoegaarden. I have a 6 in the fridge for this weekend. I also found a recipe online for a clone, so I put 5 gallons in to the fermenter last weekend. It smells awesome! It should be done in a month or so.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I Are Baboon said:
I believe there is only one season: Beer season. It runs 365 days a year.
A lot of truth to that statement, but the summer wheat seasonals really go down easy during the hot weather. You should pick up some Long Trail Blackberry Wheat, experiment, and get back to us. :D

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
OGRipper said:
I love ordering a "Big Ho."
Except that's not how they pronounce it over in Belgium...
It's not was cool ordering a big Hoo though.... sounds like a big old owl....

More summer love though -Hoegaarden Grand Cru....:drool:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I still drink porters, oatmeal stouts and scottish ales during the summer...althought they aren't nearly as good during the summer for a refreshing drink. Glad to hear that LT blackberry is good I was thinking of picking some up and now I believe I will.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

For any occasion, winter, spring, summer or fall.....fall down...

Crosspost from my critique on SoCalmtb. It's just so good, I can't help but tell about it.

Belzebuth. Oh good god. Purchased at Hollingshead's Deli in Orange, CA.

When I opened the 8.4oz bottle, I immediately felt the aroma of citrusy fruit, sweet malt with a licorace-like overtone, and a light spiciness that said clove and peppercorn wafting into my nose and throat, exciting my olfactory senses with a strangely familiar, yet comfortably unique presence. As I poured the unassuming looking golden ale into a glass, I noticed a tight frothing that didn't stick around for long, choosing to settle into a 1/4" tall afterthought of light white head.

As I took my first sip, the sweetness of malt and fruity, perhaps apricot esters of the yeast settled pleasantly on my tongue. There was definitely a smoothness to the brew, balanced well with moderate carbonation. Apricot gave way to citrus, and malt gave way to Licorice as the beer tossed around in my mouth. The golden brew continued to the back of my throat and almost begged me to quaff a large mouthful rather than sip the complexly sweet brew. As I swallowed, a strong port or Madeira came to mind as the strong alcoholic taste and dry feel warmed my gullet and offered peppercorn and spice to balance the malty sweetness up front. The remaining brew left in the glass begged me to allow it to join the first sip in the bottom of my belly and soon it had its wish. Before the 13% alcohol could take effect, the intoxicating aroma and flavor of this absolutely unique brew had me offering a deal with the devil for unlimited supplies of this amazing beer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
GumbaFish said:
I still drink porters, oatmeal stouts and scottish ales during the summer...althought they aren't nearly as good during the summer for a refreshing drink. Glad to hear that LT blackberry is good I was thinking of picking some up and now I believe I will.
You can also try Otter Creek Middlebury Ale. A little light for my tastes but quite tasty.

I really just can't take drinking my standard winter fav (Wolavers Oatmeal Stout) when it's so hot. Granted, I do, at the moment, live in a 100 year old frat house that is perpetually 10 degrees hotter than outside...and it's about 90 with 50000% humidity most of the time...

At the moment, my tiny fridge is stocked with a plethora of mid range, light brews from Saranac, Otter Creek, Sam Adams and Yuengling.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Some of my favorites from around here:

Alaskan Summer Ale, Hale's Drawbridge Blonde, Red Hook Blonde.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
BikeGeek said:
Is it the flavor or the "cloudy, nasty" that you don't like? Just curious.

Not all wheats are cloudy, and not all are hefeweisens. I don't care for hefeweisens since I don't like the banana or clove taste a lot of them have (caused by the particular yeast used and the temperature of fermentation). I do however love wheat ales such as the Long Trail.
Yeah, the odd aftertaste gets me. I've seen too many unfiltered Heffies lately and they are fuggin gross. I don't care for wheat ales either though. I dunno, I'm weird