Quantcast

Sun ADD Wheels

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Jsut wondering how these wheels are? I was looking for a new set for DH? Does anybody have them they only come in 32H. I am 235lb and beat the crap out of my wheels just wondering if these will hold up?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the mtx rims are good, but so far my eight track wheels have been a nightmare. i'm pretty much completely pissed about the wheel building job, they're coming out of true all the time. i think i just need to get them tightened up by a good wheelbuilder. the rims are really strong, but i'd also have to say go with a handbuilt wheel. talk to allen from the dropnzone, he builds a sick wheel and he can help you figure out exactly what parts you want. his prices are also really good.

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
I have the ADD wheelset, and it has held up well through what it has been through. I have ridden northstar for like 15 days this year, whistler for a week, and ridden on countless other rough trails. So far, I have lost two spoke nipples in the rear wheel(the wheel is still true though) and the front wheel is still perfect. But then again I am only 160lbs.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I ran a handbuilt MTX wheelset last year, and while they stayed true, I couldn't stand pulling dents out of the sidewall after every run. The alloy the rims are constructed of is relatively soft, and with lower air pressure, you get dents and dings all over the rim sidewall. I'd recommend them, but not over anything else, really. I run Mavic most times, but if you're looking for a solid factory-built wheelset, i've heard good things about the Azonic Outlaw set. I might also recommend the Gravity wheels coming out, but I haven't had a chance to ride them, nor do I know the pricetag.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i concur. ringle hubs blow. i hand built mtxs to jumping fleas. i built them only so that they were stronger. but the hubs suck. i have ridden the hubset maybe 5-10 times, and it is already making abnormal whining noises and has a rough spot in the freewheel.

the rims are great, though. they are on the heavy side, but are very durable.

id get your wheels handbuilt, what ever they are.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Yeah just wondering I was never a big fan of Sun Ringle but I wasnt sure about the ADD. I currently have a set of Azonic Outlaws on my Preston they are a great wheel for the $$$, But I am looking for a lighter more custom wheel set for my new Blindside Build.

I am thinking Syncros DP 36 Rims laced to Hadleys or AtomLab Pimp 36H Rims laced to Hadleys , possibly Hope Pro 2 hubs but I really dig the Hadleys..

If you guys had a choice what wheel set would you run on my new Blindside non UST.. Like I said I am 235lb and ride hard on my wheels.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Yeah just wondering I was never a big fan of Sun Ringle but I wasnt sure about the ADD. I currently have a set of Azonic Outlaws on my Preston they are a great wheel for the $$$, But I am looking for a lighter more custom wheel set for my new Blindside Build.

I am thinking Syncros DP 36 Rims laced to Hadleys or AtomLab Pimp 36H Rims laced to Hadleys , possibly Hope Pro 2 hubs but I really dig the Hadleys..

If you guys had a choice what wheel set would you run on my new Blindside non UST.. Like I said I am 235lb and ride hard on my wheels.
For what it's worth, I've run both the ADD's and the Outlaws. I bought the ADD's at the beginning of this year after having some pretty big issues come up with the Outlaws. The Sun/Ringle Jumping Flea hubs, while not as cutting edge or "bling" as some other hubs out there, have stood up to the pounding all season for me and surely saved a bit of $$ in my wallet this year.....allowing me to do a bit more racing. The ADD's wheelset as a whole package has been strong and reliable for me (250 lbs, east coast riding/racing!). The MTX's have stayed relatively dent free, as long as I kept the air pressure up....which at my size is a no-brainer! Would I recommend them? Absolutely!!! If you've got the funds, get what you want, but if budget is a concern then your not going to find fault in the ADD's.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
MTXs have always treated me well. Pick a decent hub if you dont have funds for the bling and find a good wheel builder and youll be in great shape.

I run mine on hadleys with a stans kit and DHFs and it gives me absolutely no issues and runs true.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
So if you could do any wheel set for my Blindside what would you do?? I am pretty set on doing Red Hadley Hubs but I am confused on the wheels?

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
So if you could do any wheel set for my Blindside what would you do?? I am pretty set on doing Red Hadley Hubs but I am confused on the wheels?
I've built many wheels and I'm a firm believer of Sun's Rhyno Lite Rims built on their Jumping Flea Hubs with straight-gauge spokes.
32H is very durable, but obviously 36H would be that more durable. You cannot beat the overall performance, weight, and price of this wheelset. You'd be surprised if you spend the time comparing the weight/$ ratio.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Why not a Transition Revolution wheelset? Or if you're set on the Hadleys, get some red Revo rims in red to match. I've run the 36s on my Gran Mal for a season with no issues.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
My friend rode the ADD wheelset all season at Whistler. I think she did close to 400 laps by the time the season was out. As we were pushing the hill tonight, I was actually just talking to her about them, and she said they are still true, and the only blemish is 2 broken spokes. Besides that, she loves them, and is probably going to try the lite version next season. She is about 140, fairly smooth, however rides fast.

Saying that though, I think you need a beefier wheelset.

I rode Atomlab Pimps all summer laced to Ringle front and back, built by Scott at Bikeworks, and I can't say enough good things about this wheelset. Sure...they are little on the heavier side, however I put about 700 laps on this this summer and I weigh 220.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
My friend rode the ADD wheelset all season at Whistler. I think she did close to 400 laps by the time the season was out. As we were pushing the hill tonight, I was actually just talking to her about them, and she said they are still true, and the only blemish is 2 broken spokes. Besides that, she loves them, and is probably going to try the lite version next season. She is about 140, fairly smooth, however rides fast.

Saying that though, I think you need a beefier wheelset.

I rode Atomlab Pimps all summer laced to Ringle front and back, built by Scott at Bikeworks, and I can't say enough good things about this wheelset. Sure...they are little on the heavier side, however I put about 700 laps on this this summer and I weigh 220.
Yeah cool, cause I am going with the Atomlab Pimp 36H laced to Hadleys, I have heard nothing but good things about these rims plus what you just wrote so I think thats my next wheel set..