Quantcast

Sun MTX rims... i saw them on mtbr

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
The rim shape is similar to the Intense mag30/Singlewide. I put it on the fish scale in the shop and the MTX is 1oz. lighter than a Singletrack. So it's a fairly light rim for MtnX. I was thinking about getting a pair but the price was too much for me. I opted for the Singletracks.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
QBP lists the weight of the MTX at 640g, and the singltrack at 590g...

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Originally posted by math2014
width 34mm??? hmmm and its lighter than the singletrack???

got a website for this? or a scan of the catalogue?

I would be very much obliged
No, I called the shop and asked. I wanted him to actually measure it but too lazy. Take the catalog weights/ measurements with a grain of salt. They aren't always correct.
As for the weight, I may have gotten it backwards, but I will check again tomorrow.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Well just for the looks of them i would buy the MTX for my SX frame.

Looks like it is on the same league as the D521, ArrowFRX.... as Zark nicely commented, i shouldnt get more rim than my bike... so it is either MTX, D521 or Singletrack for me.

Thanks for all the info supplied.

Does QBP have a website?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well just for the looks of them i would buy the MTX for my SX frame.

Looks like it is on the same league as the D521, ArrowFRX.... as Zark nicely commented, i shouldnt get more rim than my bike... so it is either MTX, D521 or Singletrack for me.

Thanks for all the info supplied.

Does QBP have a website?
yep, qbp.com You need a dealer login to see anything though. Luck for me I have one :D It's amazing how so many of their prices are at or ABOVE mail order....

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Jm_
yep, qbp.com You need a dealer login to see anything though. Luck for me I have one :D It's amazing how so many of their prices are at or ABOVE mail order....
Cheers JM_ , since i dont have a pass for the site, i would be very much obliged if you could dig out the specs and any pics for the Sun MTX, Sun8track rims. I have spent yesterday on yahoo/google with no luck at all...

Thanks in advance man!

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Ok finally i found out all about MTX rims

Welded
640gr
25.5 height
34mm width
25.4mm internal width

Sounds ideal for heavy duty trailriding/lightDH-FR/4x/DS

The UK source for SUN told me... Singletracks for trailriding, MTX for heavy riders into trailriding (thats me...).

Yannis

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If those rims are about the weight they list, they should be awesome. In my experience, Mag 30s and Doubletracks are ridiculously strong, just really heavy. Finally, Sun might have a really competitive normal DH rim of better quality than Rhyno XLs, Singlewides and Singletracks

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by JRogers
If those rims are about the weight they list, they should be awesome. In my experience, Mag 30s and Doubletracks are ridiculously strong, just really heavy. Finally, Sun might have a really competitive normal DH rim of better quality than Rhyno XLs, Singlewides and Singletracks
Yeah, no doubt.
If they are just a little stronger than the singletracks, then I could probaly get a whole year out of them.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
to see the qbp catalog more or less without a login go to www.taylorsbikeshop.com under the browse our catalog menu on the left there's an option for special orders, click it and essentially what you get is the QBP catalog with retail prices. Don't order anything from these guys though they're complete boneheads. I'd be suprised if they even know what UPS is.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cheers JM_ , since i dont have a pass for the site, i would be very much obliged if you could dig out the specs and any pics for the Sun MTX, Sun8track rims. I have spent yesterday on yahoo/google with no luck at all...

Thanks in advance man!
I would have, but they had already been posted, I just used it to confirm what was already in this thread.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Cheers

I ll be ordering the wheelset withing a week.

HopeXC f/r hubs anno red, MTX rims, 2-1.8-2 Sapim or DT spokes (black), and Conti-Diesel 2.5 Protection tires...

Basically the lbs price is 240GBP (sum of parts plus spokes...free labor) and they dropped the price to 210GBP (almost free spokes) . Should i go for this LBS or go online?

BTW ... any ideas on the TRUE width of the Diesels? I saw a 2.3 gravity today and it looked like a 2.1 tire!!!!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't know, having never seen the deisels, but I would guess they are around a normal 2.3-4 range, depending on rim width. Conti 2.3s are around a normal-wide 2.1 and their 2.1s are more like 1.95-2.0s or so.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Dirty
trooooo.....but it doesnt reaaaaaaaaallly have too much bearing on this thread cause bti doesnt list the MTX
Oh, sorry i wasted precious internet space with my useless post. :rolleyes:

I guess i should have taken MY time to look up to be sure that BTI listed the product instead of just offering another place to look.....

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by oly
Oh, sorry i wasted precious internet space with my useless post. :rolleyes:

I guess i should have taken MY time to look up to be sure that BTI listed the product instead of just offering another place to look.....
Well any info provided is wellcome ...at least by me...

Thanks to all.