Quantcast

Sun Peaks

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the trails aren't as good overall either, whistler has a lot more variety and better trails. I would try to ride the local kamloops trails if I went up there again, spend one day at sun peaks and 2 days riding the other trails.

I had fun but it is not whistler.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I went there two winters ago for a snowboarding trip, it was a good alternative to Whistler, much smaller but much cheaper

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Went there this past August and it snowed on me! The trails were fun, but lacking in layout and terrain compared to Whistler. Many of the trails seemed to have flat or dead spots on them also. It's a good place to check out that's not that far away. Just don't expect a Whistler like village at night.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Bikecrasher said:
Went there this past August and it snowed on me! The trails were fun, but lacking in layout and terrain compared to Whistler. Many of the trails seemed to have flat or dead spots on them also. It's a good place to check out that's not that far away. Just don't expect a Whistler like village at night.
Excatly! Most of the trails have uphill sections :confused: We started out on some begginer trails to get the feel of the land, there ended up being 4+ foot drops and steep rocky sections on the trail. The other part of the trail was uphill!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Corporatefailure said:
?!?! No like steep rocky sections? aww to bad...
not much for cypress eather then.
That's not what I'm saying. It was just a little strange having something of that difficulty level on a green trail.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i found the peaks to be better than whistler. the overall atmosphere was friendlier, the terrain was nastier, and the lines? heh..what lines!

the village at the peaks (if you can call it a village) is nothing compared to whistler, nor is after-riding life. but its cheaper, less crowded, and the runs are MUCH longer.

i havent been to sunpeaks in the winter, so i cant comment on that, but for summer, its to kamloops for me. same time spent on the road between seattle and kamloops as seattle and whistler, so thats a wash.

sure sunpeaks is another 40ish minutes away from barnhartville or the cafe (as a starting point) but there is so much to do in the loops for riding...

valleyview jumps, harper, lolo, greenstone...just to name a few...rosehill is so/so at best, not worth traveling for IMHO. but a fun locals trail none the less....

my vote is for sunpeaks over whistler...just more enjoyable for me. steeper, more natural, and more welcoming.... :)

...and my work day is over!

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
seand said:
i found the peaks to be better than whistler. the overall atmosphere was friendlier, the terrain was nastier, and the lines? heh..what lines!

my vote is for sunpeaks over whistler...just more enjoyable for me. steeper, more natural, and more welcoming.... :)

I completely agree!!! I love that it's so technical, like the shore. I'm not a big fan of Whistler's 'highway like' runs. I get bored very easily there.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I thought I would bump this and get more opinions on Sun Peaks. I still haven't made it there, yet. We are headed up there for a few days next month. We plan on hitting Silver Star too.

Opinions on Sun Peaks or Silver Star?????????

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
Kanter said:
I thought I would bump this and get more opinions on Sun Peaks. I still haven't made it there, yet. We are headed up there for a few days next month. We plan on hitting Silver Star too.

What days are you going to be up there next month?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We are on a MTB vacation from Aug 17-26. We are going to hit Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Whistler, and the Shore.

Silver Star-Aug 18
Sun Peaks-Aug 19 & 20
Whistler Aug 21 & 22
Shore 23, 24, & 25

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
I am heading up the weekend of the 11th. I love Sun Peaks! I think to compare it to Whistler isn't really a fair fight since I think they are two totally different animals. Whistler is a blast don't get me wrong but if you want a great place to ride without all the hype or "scene", go to Sun Peaks. Long runs with very techy sections and more of a true trail type feeling. It's not like your riding down the dozer made highways of Whistler. The cost is a lot less and no lift lines to speak of.

Give it a try, you will enjoy it!

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
joelsman said:
the trails aren't as good overall either, whistler has a lot more variety and better trails. I would try to ride the local kamloops trails if I went up there again, spend one day at sun peaks and 2 days riding the other trails.

I had fun but it is not whistler.
Where's the best place to learn about Kamloops local trails? I'd love to go up there and hit Sun Peaks and then hit some locals.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
SeaPig said:
Where's the best place to learn about Kamloops local trails? I'd love to go up there and hit Sun Peaks and then hit some locals.

the bicycle cafe of course!!

Address: 1648 Valleyview Dr, Kamloops B.C. Canada, V2C 4B5

Phone: 250.828.BIKE (2453)

Email: Cheryl Beattie ~ cheryl@bicyclecafe.com

ps - I don't recommend hitting some locals. They tend to hit back...harder.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Kanter said:

IMO, Silver Star is currently a far superior mountain compared to Sun Peaks. They actually put $$ into rejuvenating their bike park and the result shows.

On top of that, there are some amazing riding in Kelowna which is only about 1 hr away.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
seand said:
the bicycle cafe of course!!

Address: 1648 Valleyview Dr, Kamloops B.C. Canada, V2C 4B5

Phone: 250.828.BIKE (2453)

Email: Cheryl Beattie ~ cheryl@bicyclecafe.com

ps - I don't recommend hitting some locals. They tend to hit back...harder.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the joke at the end. Peace!

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
holliswood said:
I am heading up the weekend of the 11th. I love Sun Peaks! I think to compare it to Whistler isn't really a fair fight since I think they are two totally different animals. Whistler is a blast don't get me wrong but if you want a great place to ride without all the hype or "scene", go to Sun Peaks. Long runs with very techy sections and more of a true trail type feeling. It's not like your riding down the dozer made highways of Whistler. The cost is a lot less and no lift lines to speak of.

Give it a try, you will enjoy it!
I'll be up there the weekend of the 11th also. Feel like hooking up and showing me the goods up there? I've never been there. I'll be there Friday -- Sunday..

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Any of you folks know if there are any nearby places to camp? I'm planning on going up for the Masters Worlds and would rather camp than try to get a room.

I presume they aren't going to be nice and let us flop in our cars/vans in a parking lot. I found a couple of samll, private CGs on the web; but maybe there is something more that I'm not aware of. Thanks.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
MinorThreat said:
Any of you folks know if there are any nearby places to camp? I'm planning on going up for the Masters Worlds and would rather camp than try to get a room.

I presume they aren't going to be nice and let us flop in our cars/vans in a parking lot.
I stayed in Casa de Mazda (slept in the minivan) last year in the parking lot. Wasn't a big deal.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
gooch said:
I'll be up there the weekend of the 11th also. Feel like hooking up and showing me the goods up there? I've never been there. I'll be there Friday -- Sunday..

Sure, but about the goods, it's been a few years since I have ridden up there. Lets hook up Saturday. I will be on a Cannondale Judge wearing orange, blue and grey Bear Naked/Cannondale gear.

Later,
Kim

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Found out more about camping at Sun Peaks. Talked to Greg, the events coordinator there, and he says there'll be free camping in the back parking lot for Masters Worlds. Porta pots and showers will be available.

There are also two nearby BC Forestry campgrounds - Hoffrey Lake and McGilvray Lake (sp.?) that are free, first-come, first-served basis. Thanks folks.

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
holliswood said:
Sure, but about the goods, it's been a few years since I have ridden up there. Lets hook up Saturday. I will be on a Cannondale Judge wearing orange, blue and grey Bear Naked/Cannondale gear.

Later,
Kim
I'll be riding a black Giant DH w/dorado. The other two bikes will be a Tuner DHR w/dorado and a Kona stab w/dorado.

Wierd, we'll all be riding those damn Dorado's. It must be a family thing.. It will be myself and sister and bro-inlaw..

Later......Steve

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I thought Sun Peaks was terrible except for a couple trails.... Suger and Sweet One. There was 4-6 inches of powdery dirt on every trail and braking bumps everywhere and most of the trails didnt flow. I talked to the locals and they said there are only 4 guys that work on the trails.

The mountain was beat to hell. A lot of people at the bottom of the lift were talking about it and how they wouldnt be back any time soon.

I did make it to Silver Star too and the trails were AWESOME. Whister was awesome too. Im at the North Shore now and the weather is great.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Kanter said:
The mountain was beat to hell. A lot of people at the bottom of the lift were talking about it and how they wouldnt be back any time soon.
So, you think there is any chance at all that they'll have something shaped up for the Worlds next week? Or is it going to be a powder-fest?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Not unless they get rain and hire more trail maintainence people.

I wasnt impressed at all in Sun Peaks. Ive ridden a lot of BC resorts and this is the order I give them.

1. Whistler
2. Silver Star
3. Fernie
4. Panorama
5. Sun Peaks

I still havent hit Kicking Horse or Mt Washington.

fred01

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i rode sunpeaks on saturday, then silverstar the last 2 days. had a ball at both, line at sunpeaks was like 9 people/1 minute, compared to the star at 100+/20+ minutes, both were friendly, nice places. staff went out of their way to make u feel welcome - not something u get at whistler!
overall less/a bit shorter trails and overall less bermy action at sun peaks, but it was definitely still worth going.
sugar/sweet one (mentioned b4) are more slower/techy "shore-like" trails, steamshovel seemed to be the a-line of sun peaks, good fun with fast tables the whole way down, then theres route 66 which is probably the most bermed trail i've ridden ever (well besides shazam and pipedream at SS. i think both of these parks have berm-building down way better than whistler in both quality and quantity - oooooooh controversial!). arm-pump (a trail, not the pain!) was also good fun at sun-peaks. a few of the trails were pretty blown out, but no worse than whistler (was there last two weekends) or SS.
overall i would be happy to ride silverstar or whistler anyday, both different and great fun, but sunpeaks is also worth the effort, and you're guaranteed less lines than either of those and a much friendlier atmosphere than whistler, and hey - its a lift-assisted DH resort - how can you not have fun there!!- oh yeah - and its still open weekends for a few weeks, SS is now shut :(

ride on.