Quantcast

Sun Ringle DoubleWide & D321 rims

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm going to be building a wheel shortly and wanted some feedback on these 2 rims. The Application will be for racing and downhill riding.

So right now Ebay has a Double Wide Rim for 32.99 (here)

I'm looking for feedback on the DoubleWide. Should we start with specs:

D321
Weight: 675 grams
Dimensions: 36mm Wide, Disc Brakes Only
Price: $89 (jenson) $69 (go-ride).

Double Wide (24" wheel weight)
Weight: 795 grams
Dimensions: 45.9mm Wide, Disc Brake Only
Price $32.99

I Think I'm leaning towards the d321, since it is a little lighter and Rotational weight is a concern for racing....Should I consider the 3.1 Tubeless system?

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
I've always preferred Sun rims to Mavic. I have D521s on one bike and Sun Rhyno Lites on the other bike, and the Rhyno Lites have stayed much truer. Also, my friend has a set of D321s. He had to send back one of the original ones due to manufacturing defects (flat spot in the rim). Then, the new one they sent, also had a flat spot, but it wasn't too big, so he just kept it. The D321s are not manufactured as well as they should be for the price. Go for the Doublewides.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dear lordy go with the 321

everyone complains about the double-wide. I've never heard anyone bitch about 321's (besides swissless :rolleyes: ). Seriously though, 321's would be better for racing, as they are lighter, and will probably prove to be stronger, if built in the same manner. Also, i've heard 24"ers aren't quite the best for racing. Great for freeriding and dropping, but high on weight.

Just my input...stay 26 and go mavic...that's what i use....not disappointed and i built it myself...worth the extra pesos.

-=A

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have used both Mavic and Sun rims. I have never had one problem with Mavics but I can't say the same for Suns. I am running 321's now and they are awesome. I'd have to say they are the best rims I have ever owned. There are some other rims you may want to look into as well for the sake of being thorough. Check out Arrow rims, Atom Labs and then the new Spinergy wheels are supposed to be pretty unbeliveable too!

If you want a sure bet though, go with the Mavic 321. I know you won't have any regrets.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Bacardi,
I ran doublewides for 2 seasons. The material they use in them is soft to the point you'll never get pinch flats because the rims will dent first. They're heavy and they become a pain to push around. Go with the Mavics.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Here is a simple example.

I tried the Sun's and broke two rims in 4 months.

I tried the Mavic's and they went out of true in 6 months.

Keep in mind I am not smooth and am a heavy rider. But still...

Sun makes great rims, I swear by them.

Unfortunatly the double wide is not one of them. The rim is super duty!! They will not ever go out of true, but they they will flat spot if it takes a good hit. And they are heavy, I have had great luck with Rhyno Lite XL at a fraction of the weight.

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
I've tried EVERY rim out there, and all in all, my nod goes to Sun Ringle. Their Single-Wide is as light as a 321, and as wide, but it won't disentigrate like a 321 when you nail a rock hard. The rounded bead of the rim won't pinchflat you like the sharp 321, and it is box-section there, so you won't ding it as easily either.