Quantcast

Sunday Chainstay....

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Ok, I have tried Hockey Tape, Lizard Skins, and Zip Tied Tubes to my Chain Stays, all of which have been cut. You Sunday owners out there having anymore luck than me, and if so, what are you using to protect your stays?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Bikerpunk241 said:
Ok, I have tried Hockey Tape, Lizard Skins, and Zip Tied Tubes to my Chain Stays, all of which have been cut. You Sunday owners out there having anymore luck than me, and if so, what are you using to protect your stays?

I use an old innertube and zip ties. Is it to protect your paint or your gear outer?

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
First, use some number plate vinyl and heat gun it on to a clean chainstay. Trim while still warm. Then, slide your derailleur housing into a +/- 400mm heavy duty hose and install. Problem solved :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
1) First I use some of that radio Shack wire wrap, and twist it around the chainstay.
2) Secure with electrical tape
3) get a piece of clear (or colored...doesn't matter) tubing and slider over derailleur housing
4) I use some cable ties that have flat heads (nothing sticking out) so the chain doesn't grab on it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Acadian said:
1) First I use some of that radio Shack wire wrap, and twist it around the chainstay.
Is this a type of self-amalgamating rubber tape? My local auto parts store stopped carrying it and I've been searching for another source...please say it's so...!

MD

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I did similar to what Luc did but didn't use the tubing like he did (and the MadCatz team does). The MadCatz team uses the soft side of adhesive backed velcro and cuts to match the frame then uses a tube over top. Too bad the local Comp USA only had clear wrap. I need blue wrap :D

We're working w/ THE on a 'custom' protector for the 06 bikes.

-ska todd

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
Is this a type of self-amalgamating rubber tape? My local auto parts store stopped carrying it and I've been searching for another source...please say it's so...!

MD
Check your local hardware store. The auto parts shop doesn't carry it here, but the hardware store does.

I had a place to order it online but I can't seem to find it now.. Let me look.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i noticed several Sundays plowing thru the rock section of the US Open course in complete silence. you could not hear anything expect the "THUD" of the tires and suspension. It was rad. Yeah, protect your frame but having a quite bike is a positive mental thing too. Makes the harsh stuff not sooo harsh.

My bmw is silent and it sure makes a difference when you dont hear chainslap or a monocoque frame popin and crackin.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
In the Scottish races Sundays get lots of coments about being silent. I Hate my bike to sound noisy it sounds like its being damaged!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...so THAT'S what that I was looking at on Sam's bike at the Open... that extra clear housing over the shifter cable made me think that he was running some new kind of Aztec Powerline set-up... :D

It's funny that this thread popped up, cause I got tired of using the ghetto tube-and-ziptie deal on my Demo 8... so now I'm getting this stuff:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=13135

...has anyone used this Cycle Stuff chainstay wrap before???

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ska todd said:
I did similar to what Luc did but didn't use the tubing like he did (and the MadCatz team does). The MadCatz team uses the soft side of adhesive backed velcro and cuts to match the frame then uses a tube over top. Too bad the local Comp USA only had clear wrap. I need blue wrap :D

-ska todd

THE makes a protector similar to that called the JET works pretty well on oddball size stays.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Jimmy_Pop said:
i noticed several Sundays plowing thru the rock section of the US Open course in complete silence. you could not hear anything expect the "THUD" of the tires and suspension. It was rad. Yeah, protect your frame but having a quite bike is a positive mental thing too. Makes the harsh stuff not sooo harsh.

My bmw is silent and it sure makes a difference when you dont hear chainslap or a monocoque frame popin and crackin.
OMG, new V10s, M3s, and the Honda bike sound like beer cans rattling down the trail.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Sherpa said:
OMG, new V10s, M3s, and the Honda bike sound like beer cans rattling down the trail.

Ahahaha I noticed that at the Open. You could tell if an m3 or v10 was coming, just by listening.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jimmy_Pop said:
FOES Mono is the worst.
The Foes Monos sound like someone is snapping their bike into several pieces, over and over and over again.

You almost can't even tell how close they are to you, because it's so loud - it sounds like it's much closer than it is.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Check your local hardware store. The auto parts shop doesn't carry it here, but the hardware store does.

I had a place to order it online but I can't seem to find it now.. Let me look.
McMaster has it, like they have everything

Acadian, the Radio Shack stuff is plain plastic, right? (Hence your wrapping it with electrical tape...)

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
McMaster has it, like they have everything

Acadian, the Radio Shack stuff is plain plastic, right? (Hence your wrapping it with electrical tape...)

MD
Weird. I posted that for you right after my initial post. Where the hell did the post go? I even remembered that it was page number 3193. When I read your post, I was going to virtually-bitchslap you and tell you to read the thread. But my post is gone :think:

Ahh, well.

That Radio Shack stuff is something I looked at for chainstay wrapping, too, and yeah, it's non-adhesive.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
The Foes Monos sound like someone is snapping their bike into several pieces, over and over and over again.

You almost can't even tell how close they are to you, because it's so loud - it sounds like it's much closer than it is.
Has anyone ever shot sound-deadening foam, like they use in car doors to improve stereo sound, into a monocoque frame? Seems like it'd work, but might break down over time and get rattly in its own right...but that's just a guess.

MD

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
ska todd said:

-ska todd

HEY!....sweet tires you maxxis slut!?!?!....how do you like them?? and who/what on earth convinced you to run them??

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
MikeD said:
Has anyone ever shot sound-deadening foam, like they use in car doors to improve stereo sound, into a monocoque frame? Seems like it'd work, but might break down over time and get rattly in its own right...but that's just a guess.

MD
LOL only if the monocoque frame makers used like super hi-tac dynamat on the inside. It'd add some weight but I bet it sure would be quiet!

I've read somewhere people trying expanding foam (I wouldn't do it) as the crap likes to really expand and you can see some asshat putting like 2 cans into his frame thinking one isn't enough to find out after it's expaned it caused a problem. I've seen trunk lids/inner fenders swell out and pop some of the minor welds/rivets holding the lid together. Hell that stuff is crazy enough to use at home :)

That is a good idea though for the chainstay's, the radio-shack method. I got lucky and my Lizard skin's thing was just big enough for my bike. Not a Sunday, M1. Ska's looked the best though. I imagine that Home Deopt or Ace whatever type of store you could find a endless amount of ideas and materials to do this stuff.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Ian Collins said:
HEY!....sweet tires you maxxis slut!?!?!....how do you like them?? and who/what on earth convinced you to run them??
Maxxis did not have stock of SRY Minions and Leif convinced me to try the Michies. I like the compound a lot. I am a little worried about the sidewall thickness. The 2.8's are sweet. Wish they had a 2.6 version.

-ska todd

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
ska todd said:
Maxxis did not have stock of SRY Minions and Leif convinced me to try the Michies. I like the compound a lot. I am a little worried about the sidewall thickness. The 2.8's are sweet. Wish they had a 2.6 version.

-ska todd
Do those 2.8's fit in a Boxxer well? I've got some laying around...i'd like to try and stuff it in my 04' Boxxer.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
S.K.C. said:
It's funny that this thread popped up, cause I got tired of using the ghetto tube-and-ziptie deal on my Demo 8... so now I'm getting this stuff:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=13135

...has anyone used this Cycle Stuff chainstay wrap before???

Why would you buy "chainstay wrap" if you can just use electrical tape or get some Lizard Skins. Anyway, doesn't the Demo come with something similar to a Lizard Skins protector?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
binary visions said:

my buddies found out a sort of fix for it. Take rubber o-rings and put them on the inside of the floater bolt on each side. The mono noise is mainly from the floater hitting the bolt head. Their is a lil noise from the mono part itself but not much. Also i have an 05 so maybe they did something to deaden the noise. Another thing is the rear der hits the frame vehimently so you need to zip tie a tire to it