Quantcast

sunday/dw link proper setup

Jordan Masse

Chimp
Nov 7, 2007
I tried searching for this topic and came up with nothing, so I apologize if this has been covered already.

I'm 190lbs and according the sunday spring weight chart I should be running a 400lbs spring so my question here is if I run a 350lbs spring for a softer ride will I be defeating some of the ride characteristics of the dw link.

for example I know the dw link is designed to sit at a certain point in its travle for optimum performance. is there a magic amount of sag?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Those are general spring rates - not really set in stone in other words. I'd try a 350 lbs. spring to see how it feels. If you are blowing through travel too quickly or bottoming without hitting drops/jumps, even with Bottom-Out cranked all the way in, then I'd go up to a 400 lbs. spring

I weigh between 165 and 170 lbs. and a 350 feels just about right for me, if not a bit oversprung. The 300 lbs. spring I used to run was definitely too soft - bottomed out hard during race course useage.

...of course I don't have World Cup level bike handling skillz, so it also depends on how smooth you are.

:biggrin:

Depends on the shock you use too - I run a DHX 5.0 that is an OEM shock which already has the "light compression / light rebound tune" from the factory.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot the most important bit of info - Check your Sag! You should be running at least 30% sag or about 1 inch.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Give the 350 a try and see what you think. It should feel pretty good. I weigh 170-175 with gear and run a 300. I wouldn't even think of running more.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Im 165# with kit and run at 350Ti spring. I found with the 300 (steel) the bike bogged down in the corners and pedaled poorly.

With the 350 the bike is much more lively and I don't bottom it out all the time like I used to. Its feels much more stable, just as plush and has instilled more confidence to bash the crap out of my rims.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
I am at your weight and use a 400 # spring.
The 350 # did not feel comfortable to me also PUSH recommended me a 400 # spring.

The 400 # feels perfect but I still would like to have more bottom out resistence and I am not a hucker.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I am also around your weight. used a 350 this seaseon which was a little to soft for me. No I will switch to a 400 Ti - should be the perfect fit

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
i weight like 82 kilos (like 182 lbs) and i started using a 300 # and it was like ****... bottoming out very often, then i go to a 350 # and it was good... and after that i tried a 400# and i liked it much more than the 300# it bottoms out much less than the 350# and i don`t need to preload it (i needed 1 turn with the 350#)

try the 400# you don`t lose anything trying

Jordan Masse

Chimp
Nov 7, 2007
thanks for the replies guys

i just want to say bottoming out is not a big issue for me because I'm a race and I'm pretty soft on the landings. I'm more interested in traction and and the right amount of sag.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
I am at your weight and use a 400 # spring.
The 350 # did not feel comfortable to me also PUSH recommended me a 400 # spring.

The 400 # feels perfect but I still would like to have more bottom out resistence and I am not a hucker.

Sorry I was wrong. I use a 350 # spring not a 400 #
With the 300 # spring I had allways the feeling to use too much travel at midsized hits.

Would be the DHX more progressive it might work.
May I try the 300 # spring again with increased air pressure in the air chamber. Approximately around 130-150 psi