Quantcast

sunday gfmt

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Russian River Brewing. Pliny and R&D #11 with my fish and chips. Hit a couple wineries. Pinot = Meh

I think Russian River tastes best at the brewery.

Um, also, Pinot is anything but meh. You made the mistake of drinking Pinot in California. CALIFORNIA Pinot < meh.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Studying for day done. Had pork short ribs for dinner.

Buddy called me and asked me to be his best man. I have 2 months to write something good...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think Russian River tastes best at the brewery.

Um, also, Pinot is anything but meh. You made the mistake of drinking Pinot in California. CALIFORNIA Pinot < meh.
I had a glass of Macedon Pinot Noir (Macedonia) at dinner last weekend. Wooooooow!

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Hit me up yo. Last time I was in this part of Cali I wasn't old enough to drink. What would you have? Serious question.
I wish I could help, but my “expertise” is (Oregon) Pinot noir…more so than California.

I have no idea how accessible it is but Matthiasson is a place I’d like to visit, but it is not your typical Ca winery experience by a long shot.

Forlorn Hope is worth a try too.

Those two are very nontraditional.

For more straightlaced typical You might try Cliff Lede, but I have no idea what the price point is these days.

Freeman is in that geographic area too - her Pinot noir is definitely californian, but not the the overextracted goopy jam you can often get stuck with…again no idea about price or accessibility these days.

Not sure if that is helpful…I was mostly just taking a cheap shot at Cali Pinot in my original comment…

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I wish I could help, but my “expertise” is (Oregon) Pinot noir…more so than California.

I have no idea how accessible it is but Matthiasson is a place I’d like to visit, but it is not your typical Ca winery experience by a long shot.

Forlorn Hope is worth a try too.

Those two are very nontraditional.

For more straightlaced typical You might try Cliff Lede, but I have no idea what the price point is these days.

Freeman is in that geographic area too - her Pinot noir is definitely californian, but not the the overextracted goopy jam you can often get stuck with…again no idea about price or accessibility these days.

Not sure if that is helpful…I was mostly just taking a cheap shot at Cali Pinot in my original comment…
Silver Oak Cab is really good. It stands out amongst the best, imho. But it's also really fucking expensive. Their Pinot's are bottled under Twomey. I've had one and it was good. I don't look for it like the Silver Oak Cab, but if I see it, I will probably get a glass.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Russian River Brewing. Pliny and R&D #11 with my fish and chips. Hit a couple wineries. Pinot = Meh
Pinot really changes depending on the soil — well all wine does but pinot needs a particular soil type to be great. In NZ we (I anyway) like our Pinot from central Otago (hot summer climate, minerally rich ‘poor soil’ ‘dirt’) but the Savs and whites generally from Marlborough, cooler with a richer more ‘high quality’ soil.