Quantcast

***Sunday GMT***

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Also cannot sleep. Coffee soon, followed by a ride, hopefully. I should mow the lawn before it gets too hot, since I haven't mowed it in 2 weeks. Too busy riding bikes last weekend.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
House/ garden maintenance tasks are bullshit.

Still not riding bikes.
Awesome, right?

More housework. Backyard still needs prep for xeriscape garden, need to paint a wall in the kitchen then install some shelves, and finish a few hours of CE. Buddy is going to let me know how the Yeti rides, since he's taking it out this morning. He cleaned up the Nukeproof for me, so I can get that listed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I routed some timber then washed my bike, sprinkle water on it and push the mud off with the hand, done.
I don't normally wash my bikes because washing bikes causes cracks, if it can't be seen it's not cracked.
My cranks had a bit of left to right movement so I thought I better have a look, not sure how I get new spacer/wiper things for a 25mm spindle, crazy Italian standards........

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Awesome, right?

More housework. Backyard still needs prep for xeriscape garden, need to paint a wall in the kitchen then install some shelves, and finish a few hours of CE. Buddy is going to let me know how the Yeti rides, since he's taking it out this morning. He cleaned up the Nukeproof for me, so I can get that listed.
bike purge?

something...new....not e bike i hope.???

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
bike purge?

something...new....not e bike i hope.???
I never had a chance to get the Nukeproof ready for sale after I bought the Yeti back in spring. He sold his bikes since he's been working on a car project, so I let him borrow the Nukeproof as long as he wanted since he fixed the brake for me. He's looking at an SB140 now and I'm the only person with a Yeti who he knows he can borrow one from for a while to ride lots of different trails. It's an SB130, so 29 vs. 27.5, but basic bike is the same. I won't be able to ride for a few weeks anyways due to time constraints and I'm having an issue with my shoulder again that is keeping me from having a solid grip (back to the ortho).

@jonKranked got the 4x because I for sure wasn't riding it and I can do basic bike park riding on the SB. Also helps flatten out the cost of the SB.

It's all back to the Yeti purchase in April. Wifey got he new bike then too, so I sold two bikes that were hers and Haley's parts bikes. I have an old HT that I need to sell still - that's a purge bike. The others are overlap. We still have 8 bikes that we're keeping: 2 me, 1 Wifey, 2 Haley, 3 Hannah.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't feel so bad now. I told myself I was going to make it easy, and do ~1 hour a month. Didn't quite work out that way.
I was so behind on the CFP stuff, that when I finished it I was ecstatic. Then I got an email that I had 3 weeks to do 10hrs of CE. Fucking fucks. Thankfully I can fly through most of it, but it page by page clicks. I will probably still spend 4-5hrs total, just because of how it's broken up.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Good news; I have a cool new car. :banana:

Bad news; my bike won’t fit inside like I thought it would. :banghead::rant::mad::disgust1::panic::shakefist:

So now I have to shop for a bike rack. And holy shit have hitch racks gotten stupid expensive.

Any recommendations ?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
DAMMIT! My CE is 6hrs longer than I thought it was. I'm not sure why I thought it was 10hrs vs. 16hrs. FUCK. Well, 10.5 done as of now.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I routed some timber then washed my bike, sprinkle water on it and push the mud off with the hand, done.
I don't normally wash my bikes because washing bikes causes cracks, if it can't be seen it's not cracked.
My cranks had a bit of left to right movement so I thought I better have a look, not sure how I get new spacer/wiper things for a 25mm spindle, crazy Italian standards........
Apparently washing bikes also causes the fork to leak. Noticed when trying to wrestle mah Spitty into the Rav4. Definitely not caused by reusing crush washers. Nope not a chance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hello friends

planned to attend a local fair but they were shuttling people from outer space to the fairgrounds and decided to nope right out of there. Had fun day with the kids getting ice cream and playing mini golf instead. May go out for a ride today, maybe a run, but the little guy is sick yet again and I'm fucking over it.

In better news, after not listening to the doctors his nose seems to have finally cleared up. Turns out he was indeed allergic to the topical antibiotic and stopping its use has almost cleared his nose entirely.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I slept great, in fact I’m still asleep. Suck it.
I, too, slept well last night. Then snuggles with kids 2 and 3, got kid 3 dressed, and returned to the comfy confines of bed to lounge until about 5 minutes ago.

now for some burnt end leftovers + a scoop of creatine in my drink for teh gainnnz

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Bad news; my bike won’t fit inside like I thought it would. :banghead::rant::mad::disgust1::panic::shakefist:

So now I have to shop for a bike rack. And holy shit have hitch racks gotten stupid expensive.

Any recommendations ?
whaddja get?

1ups are probably the best but have long wait times and cost a lot last time i looked. I have a kuat rack that I like a lot. Feels like a non-bro version of the 1up, like the apple to 1ups android. Corners are polished rather than rough, things are molded plastic rather than bolts and aluminum. I'd do a 1up if I could again, but I am not dissatisfied with the kuat. I have the NV 2.0 base. They now have a 1up copycat design in addition to the NV, but also a sherpa rack which I think is a lighter more small car friendly rack.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Any recommendations ?
it is why in theory i still have a roof rack....30lb hardtails aint that heavy....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I, too, slept well last night. Then snuggles with kids 2 and 3, got kid 3 dressed, and returned to the comfy confines of bed to lounge until about 5 minutes ago.

now for some burnt end leftovers + a scoop of creatine in my drink for teh gainnnz
where the hell uou getting burnt ends at in denver...?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Any recommendations ?
There's only one option: https://www.1up-usa.com/
oneups are awesome. another option would be quikracks, which are essentially the same thing, started by the guy who invented the oneup.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
1up's are nice, but my old school, standing hitch mount works pretty damn well, folds nicely out of the way, and keeps the bike low out of the car's airflow for mileage. Kind of hard to argue that if you're not shuttling multiple bikes daily.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
whaddja get?

1ups are probably the best but have long wait times and cost a lot last time i looked. I have a kuat rack that I like a lot. Feels like a non-bro version of the 1up, like the apple to 1ups android. Corners are polished rather than rough, things are molded plastic rather than bolts and aluminum. I'd do a 1up if I could again, but I am not dissatisfied with the kuat. I have the NV 2.0 base. They now have a 1up copycat design in addition to the NV, but also a sherpa rack which I think is a lighter more small car friendly rack.
The Kuats don’t seem all that much cheaper… plus manufactured in China or Taiwan vs in the USA.
where the hell uou getting burnt ends at in denver...?
Smokehouse up in Winter Park. Drove back yesterday after a few days being a tourist.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
whaddja get?

A murdered out Toyota Rav4 with the xp trail package.

Don’t want to wait on a rack since I have yet to ride this summer. Been without a way to get a bike to the trails since June. Getting grumpy...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Was the RAV4 Hybrid not easily available, for my curiosity?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The Kuats don’t seem all that much cheaper… plus manufactured in China or Taiwan vs in the USA.

That's fair. I can't remember what I paid for mine, I think it was like $530. Considerably less than current pricing. Overseas vs. local doesn't matter too much aside from keeping labor in the states, which I do like. Looks like prices are about the same after shipping. I think I ended up with the Kuat as I could pick it up from the local bike shop vs. shipping the 1up. It's been a great rack, only downfall is that it wouldn't fit my kids' 20" bike.