Quantcast

Sunday Night Race League

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I know that 50's have been popular for quite a while, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I heard of these little gems. Pocket Bikes. 43cc 2-strokes, 1 speed, working headlights, electric start, dual mechanicl discs, lame suspension, a max speed of ~25mph, all for only $400. Three iof my friends bought them at once, and last night was the first meeting of our new race league. I want it to be more of a gang with a coll name like "43 Wrecking Crew". Two more friends went to buy them today. I'm geting one as soon as I get a job. They come red. but people have already started pulling the bodies off and repainting them. I still can't believe that there were only 2 wrecks. Now the plan is to get some cones and start a Sunday night race league.

My friend Joe after he decided that the thing needed to be jumped.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
A little out of focus, but shows the head-to-head action. There were 3 minis in all. The rock marked the start of a set of s-turns.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by MMcG
Nice helmets on those dudes. :dead:
These are the early pics. After things started getting a little 'out of hand', the helmets went on. I was wearing my DH helmet.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
where do you buys those things at? i have seen them before but they actually did like 90mph. These must be a knock off or something? For $400 thought it could be tons of fun!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by yellowfox
where do you buys those things at? i have seen them before but they actually did like 90mph. These must be a knock off or something? For $400 thought it could be tons of fun!
These were purchased at a Pep-Boys auto parts store in New Hampshire. I had never heard of these until I saw a storry on the news a week or so ago about all the kids buying them and terrorizing neighborhoods. The 90mph things are 50's (usually I think). These things are ghetto. 2 of the 3 have already had problems that we need to fix. All the bearings, the chain tension, and the brakes need to be adjusted before you ride. There is also an adjustment screw on the carb that you can use to tune the motor. We call them Ride-on Weed-Wackers. They are super cheap. We are working on wiring up a hair dryer to the magneto to use as a super charger. I want to ride with a can of starter fluid and use it like Nitrous.:D

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Originally posted by Repack
These were purchased at a Pep-Boys auto parts store in New Hampshire. I had never heard of these until I saw a storry on the news a week or so ago about all the kids buying them and terrorizing neighborhoods. The 90mph things are 50's (usually I think). These things are ghetto. 2 of the 3 have already had problems that we need to fix. All the bearings, the chain tension, and the brakes need to be adjusted before you ride. There is also an adjustment screw on the carb that you can use to tune the motor. We call them Ride-on Weed-Wackers. They are super cheap. We are working on wiring up a hair dryer to the magneto to use as a super charger. I want to ride with a can of starter fluid and use it like Nitrous.:D
sounds like you are asking for trouble

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Rip
I heard Tenny was a bit harsh on the bikes. How did it go?
Yeah, it was pretty brutal. The course didn't have any sort of crux, just slick the whole way down. Not too much in the way of roots, just rocks, mud,rocks, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud...I thought it was a very fun/good course. It will RIP when its dry. The mountain isn't very steep, so lots of woodsy moto type stuff. I wasn't racing. I took 3 runs on Saturday to help my gf. She won her class.

Originally posted by Broken_Spoke
sounds like you are asking for trouble
No, we are demanding it!
I made sure to leave anything that could be considered illegal at my friends house, with the exception being a few beers left over from camping. I am 25 and was the youngest one there. I busted out the chairs not only so that we could sit down, but also to show the cops that we were not causing any trouble. We figured that the more they were laughing at us, the less trouble we would get in. Someone working at the building saw us, but did nothing. We left the place in the same condidtion that we found it in.
And I was not there with a group of people known for showing good judgement while on 2 wheels. The big bike that you can see is a Honda 929RR with Nitrous, the kid jumping owns a GSX R 1000 (177mph), and the kid on the blue mini has an R1. I was the only one there who has never owned a motorcycle. It didn't take long for the races to become "full contact", but no one was allowed to touch me since it was my first time on any sort of motorcycle! Next time, helmets and leathers (or DH armor) will be worn.