Quantcast

Sunday Question

937Lives

Chimp
May 3, 2008
Some bushings went out for the second time already within a few months on my 2006 elite. Some guy at a bike shop in whistler told me they were called D.U. Bushings. They are located on the top of the shock.

Any help on getting new ones and how I can put them in the right way. They went out pretty quick last time I replaced them so I think I just put them in wrong with a vice. Im not sure.

Thanx guys.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
To get the correct DU bushings, just go to your local bike shop, they should have them, all you need to know is the make and model of your shock. There is a tool that makes installing them easy, but it cam be done with sockets and a hammer or vise.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Exactly what you need will depend on the shock you have. Typically short shock-bushing life is due to aluminum 2 piece reducer hardware. If that is the case, I highly recomend replacing the hardware with a single stainless reducer axle.

DU bushings can be found at the LBS (if they do any biz in DH/FR bikes) or at any bearing shop in any city. You can swap them with a vice but there are a few specific tools built for the purpose. CTS makes one, there is a guy @ mtbr who made one and sells it....

937Lives

Chimp
May 3, 2008
yeah i work at the local bike shop. my boss doesnt have them. can i order them from any place? its a dhx 5.0

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Pick up the bushing instal/removal tool from either BTi or QBP on you next order. It is made by CTS.

The bushings that BTI carries (cant find any on the the qbp site) are plastic (nylon) and i dont think they last as long as the steel backed DU lined bushings that came stock on your DHX.

Like I said before, any bearing supplier in your city will have or can get you the propper bushings (dont remember the part # off the top of my head, but the measurements of the plastic CTS ones can be found at BTI....) they are just a stock DU bushing, most likely from garloc.

You can also get bushings from Fox directly (at cost if you have an account).

If your mount hardware (reducer) looks suspect, either the Marz roco or RS vivid parts will fit your DHX and are both one piece stainless kits.