Quantcast

Sunday + ROCO: PICS / Info

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
After working over the winter I had a little cash and I was looking to make one upgrade to my bicycle. As it is I love this bike to bits:love: the only part I was not completely satisified with was the shock. I looked into available options and I really did not want go through the hassle of buying the dhx link and installing it (plus the fact that I could not afford the dhx+link). Anyhoo I really liked the concept behind the roco. I am not much of a fan of platform shocks and especially with the DW-Link taking care of the pedaling aspect a fully active shock seemed to be the perfect match. Plus the fact that the design is similiar to that of moto suspension(which I am quite a fan of). So after endless research I was able to gather the following facts which greatly influenced my purchase-

-Fits with the 05 link (must remove compression adjuster, no biggie)

-Price $309 without spring or bushing (old 5th spring fit)

-No need for revavle-I was not positive on this before but upon install I can tell it does not need a revalve, just the correct spring weight, air pressure, and rebound settings

-Plus its a Marzocchi-hopefully reliable, very plush, purty, and user servicable(not quite sure if that user needs a lot of suspension knowledge or not, I am not gonna be tearing it down any time soon though)

Anyhoo after I wrestled it on the bike it feels amazing, very supple at the begginning, fast rebound in the begginning stroke for stutter bumps then when you get farther in the travel the rebounds slows down a bit(drops/jumps).

If ya got anjy more questions just ask and Ill try to answer as i may have forgot to type some info.

Anyhoo for the people who did not read any of the stuff I typed here's the pics-

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
That's great news! It seems like a lot of people have been waiting for someone to be the "guinea pig" with this combo. Any filing involved?

toby

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am sure some close up of the shock on the bike so you can see the fit would be good. I would have like a fully compressed shock on bike picture too.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
in the trees said:
That's great news! It seems like a lot of people have been waiting for someone to be the "guinea pig" with this combo. Any filing involved?

toby

Yah, I must confess I am not really playing much of a guinea pig role here, haha. I researched every aspect of the fitment issues and such before I bought it, I can't afford to take chances, I would however like to thank all those from IH who helped me.

Furthermore as for filing the top eyelet it is a tight fit in the top link, very little room there but it can fit without it, for clearance you can file a bit off if you want.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
CBJ said:
I am sure some close up of the shock on the bike so you can see the fit would be good. I would have like a fully compressed shock on bike picture too.

Hmm give me a minute, I have a few closeups. As for the fully compressed pic I am going to have to decline that, I don't have the time to take the spring off at the moment, but believe I did it before and clearance is not an issue. Without the compression adjuster the shock is sized just like a 5th element.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
SWEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just saved me $100.

I ordered my ROCO for my Sunday today, and was about to call up IH.. when I saw this thread.

Thanks a million.. er.. a hundred.

I'll post pics when I get mine, with my also new 888rc2x and ride reports and shizz.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
tmoney727t said:
isnt 350 a lil' light?
I don't know how much you know about Sundays, but the leverage ratio on them is crazy. With the 5th I run a 300# spring.

Hell, it comes with a 275#'er. That's why there was all the hocus pocus about shocks coming valved the wrong way and such.

I think, for my weight with IH say's to run a 300 with the 5th and a 350 with a DHX. The lack of "platform" requires a different spring.

I didn't have a chance to check what it would be with a ROCO before ordering.

Nov 9, 2005
how does the bike pedal without a platform? I read what you said about you and not liking the whole platform shcok idea, but have you actually pedaled this nice rig hard yet to see how the dw link really works?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Biscuit said:
SWEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just saved me $100.

I ordered my ROCO for my Sunday today, and was about to call up IH.. when I saw this thread.

Thanks a million.. er.. a hundred.

I'll post pics when I get mine, with my also new 888rc2x and ride reports and shizz.

Glad i could help, I am stoked on this setup

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Biscuit said:
What spring are you running and how much do you weigh?
I'm ~185 and ordered a 350#. Hope it works.

Currently running the stock 275 from the 5th, it feels really good, well see though might have to change it but I'm gonna try it out, the shock is so supple:love:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
SBDownhillRacer said:
how does the bike pedal without a platform? I read what you said about you and not liking the whole platform shcok idea, but have you actually pedaled this nice rig hard yet to see how the dw link really works?

Well I only pedaled around the driveway but it felt pretty good. In my opinion pedal stroke is the most important factor in being efficient. If you hammer the pedals any bike will bob, including sunday's, however I will say the shock bobbed slightly more so it is preference, kind of a trade-off, ya know

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
marra said:
and how does it work? compared to the 5th or to the sundays with DHX?
thanks

Well I have very little ride time at the moment but i can say it feels considerably more supple than the 5th. I can activate the shock with my thumb and it has a itty bit of static sag, which is great imo. No idea about comparing with a dhx, never tried one. The roco feels smoothly progressive as well

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You will need to grind the top eyelet of the shock in order to make it fit the frame. Grinding the outside of the top eye (non-reservoir side) will not hurt shock performance.

Dave

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
did the shock come with bushings and reducers to fit the Sunday
or does the 5th ones fit the ROCO ?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dw said:
You will need to grind the top eyelet of the shock in order to make it fit the frame. Grinding the outside of the top eye (non-reservoir side) will not hurt shock performance.

Dave
Yup just sand a little bit off

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
jungle said:
did the shock come with bushings and reducers to fit the Sunday
or does the 5th ones fit the ROCO ?

I bought it without bushings, they are the same as the 5th bushings

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
woof said:
Keep us posted moto.. Looks like a great upgrade for the price.

Ok well I got my first ride on it today, I can say I am very impressed. The shock feels incredibly soft on the bike, easily activated and smooth as all hell. I was a little worried that this was because of the spring rate, not sure if I needed a heavier one than the stock #275. However after riding today I am sure this is not the case. The spot I rode was tech DH and some nice drops to really break it in, vids will be posted later. Anyhoo the roco soaked everything up great. Off the drops it was smooth and confidence inspiring, it was really plush on the smaller bumps on the DH as well. It feels like it kind of brought the bike to life, more active. Well i got hw to do so thats all I can write for now, feel free to ask individual questions though.
I am extremely happy with my purchase.:) :love:

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
if it is like that (too much compression for the sunday), is there some way to fix it?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
thaflyinfatman said:
Does it feel like it has a lot of compression damping?

I don't think so, it has little to no low speed compression which fits the sunday well.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
thaflyinfatman said:
So it's probably going to have too little for any other bike then...
The ROC0 works awesome on booth the Demo 8 and 9. On my Demo 9 it blows the Swinger away, no more dead feeling and it takes bigger hits better not to mention all the small stuff ......... hhhmmm where did that stuff go anyway. Strange, no platform and it still pedals fine. With the leverage and curve on the Sunday I imagine the ROCO to be even better than my Demo. Now if only Snoqualmie would open again......

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Stupid question...that first whole bike pic looks pretty cool (not sure if you meant it to be), what's the lighting?

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
looks like just natural sunlight... late afternoon sun. u will always get this warm look to your shots when taken around when the sun is about to set.