Quantcast

Sunday vs. Giant Glory

Nov 9, 2005
My friend is considering either of these two bikes. Ive told him that they are similar in the way they ride and that the glory has a little bit more travel, but that is about all i can tell him. Hes around 165 and rides local sb trails and the occasional race. He already has his parts speced out for the bikes so he is just looking at the frames. Any other info that i can relay him would help in his decision. Thanks in advanced.

Nov 9, 2005
i realize that these bike to bike questions get old and im sorry that i keep asking them, but this is a forum where people share their knowledge on particular things with others. Frorider1 he would really like to try and ride one of these bikes but he doesnt know anyone in his area with either of these bikes.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
I've ridden the Sunday, and a new Glory is slowly being polished in my garage. The Sunday is a solid race chassis. I have little experience on the Glory as-of-yet but the parking-lot test prior to stripping parts felt good. Im a firm believer that you'd get used to just about anything. I also believe I need a new DH bike every 2 years max. so dont get wrapped up in God's gifts to DH.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Both are incredible bikes. It's a toss up in my book, I would simply pick the Sunday because the shop I work at is a Iron Horse dealer.

Go to Giant's website and Iron Horse's website, compare the geometry of the two, as well as the components, and decide which one you like better. If you have access to both bikes, definitely ride both and decide which one you like better.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Why not do a search on the two seperate bikes and compile a list of consensus pros and cons of each bike, then compare, then ride them both (like everyone is going to tell you anyway). Not tough, keeps the DH forum relatively clear...good for the community?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have been lucky to get to try both bikes out on the trail. I didn’t get to try them back to back though. Both bikes are super plush and feel incredible to me. Close to the same to me. Some will say the Sunday is better and some will say the Glory is better. It all comes down to rider preference to me. If you are a good rider you will be ok with ether bike. If you have a local bike shop that pushes one of ether lines try to work with them for a good deal. I went with the Glory based off of parts spec. and a local bike shop got me in the door with Giant for a deal I could not pass up. My other picks for 07 where to stay with Morewood (Because they are a great company and the Izumu is a nice race bike) or was going to be a Sunday.

Good luck man, the way I see it if you get ether bike you are golden!!!:cheers:

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
All these threads are always this or that vs. the Sunday. I think that alone is enough to tell you quite a bit. If everything needs to get measured to that bikes standard than the vs. is kinda silly. If you're still not convinced, a solid search here, or on MTBR, will reveal what you need to know about either.

And so with that said, I say for what seems like the millionth time. I ride a Sunday. I love it and would recommend it to anyone after a quality design that works. It's a wonderful bike. The deciding factor for me was the overall suspension characteristics and the fact that both Iron Horse and DW are online as part of the community offering up extremely valuable feedback and help. For me, that fact was the icing on the cake. No matter what bike you have, having access to a resource this valuable is rare and noteworthy. I think supporting companies who are there for their customers, accountable and stand by their product is something worth encouraging. The fact that the bike hauls was a very close second tho :)

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Why not do a search on the two seperate bikes and compile a list of consensus pros and cons of each bike, then compare, then ride them both (like everyone is going to tell you anyway). Not tough, keeps the DH forum relatively clear...good for the community?
blue said:
Awww, Grand Wizard of the Ozarks getting angry?
blue said:
I'm going to skullfvck a cat if I see another MTBr "Bike vs. Bike" thread here.
The Downhill forum was already one of the most crowded sections of RideMonkey. Everyone constantly posts "Which One Is Better" or "X vs. Y" or "Help Me Choose..." threads all over RideMonkey, and I'm sure you have a few times yourself, EVERYONE has asked that question at least once before. Here's a Thread you may remember that you posted a while back on whether you should get a Rush or Prophet....

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150823

It's perfectly reasonable for RM members to get answers that are useful, and if you're not going to post anything useful, then don't post at all; go to the Lounge.

Posts like yours in this thread are the reason that good and useful information is becoming hard to find on this site.

Back to the bikes in question...

Glory DH Geometry Table

Glory DH Full Components Spec

IH Sunday Team Specs/Geometry

IH Sunday World Cup Specs/Geometry

The Glory DH is probably one of the best Values (Bang for Buck) for a Downhill Race bike, retailing at $4500. The Sunday World Cup is $5,999 and the Sunday Team is $4,199. Both bikes have a relatively similar Head Angles, as well as Wheelbases. The Maestro suspension of the Giant actually feel very similar to the VPP bikes that Santa Cruz and Intense makes, in my opinion, and I personally think the DW-Link of the Sunday is a superior design than the Maestro of the Giant.

The Sunday Team only comes with a DHX 3.0 rear shock though, which does not have Compression adjust on it, which is kind of a bummer since the bike is over $4k. The DHX 5.0, with compression, comes on both the Glory DH and Sunday WC. The Glory comes with a Fox 40 RC2 front fork as well, which is a huge plus in the suspension compartment; one of the best Dual-Crown forks that money can buy. Suspension is one of those things that you really don't want to skip over on a DH bike, and I like that Giant toned down the rest of the components (in terms of high-end versus low-end) on the bike rather than just toning down everything little by little, since suspension is easily the most expensive part to upgrade on a DH bike.

My judgement is, if you want the best bang for buck, and get a helluva frame for the money, go with the Giant. If you want the Best all the way around, swing for the Sunday World Cup. If you can ride them both, of course that would be the best way to decide, but if you can't, those are definitely two of the best DH bikes on the market, and you will not be disappointed with either one.

Nov 9, 2005
thanks a lot for the help and sorry again that i asked another one of these questions. Does anyone know where someone could buy a giant glory frame? I know go-ride sells the sunday factory frames for 2300 bucks and ive seen a couple of stores online in great britian who are selling the Glory for 2500, but are there any online stores that can get the glory in the states?

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
thanks a lot for the help and sorry again that i asked another one of these questions. Does anyone know where someone could buy a giant glory frame? I know go-ride sells the sunday factory frames for 2300 bucks and ive seen a couple of stores online in great britian who are selling the Glory for 2500, but are there any online stores that can get the glory in the states?
No need to apologize.

If you have a local shop that sells Giant, then they can order a frame for you. And if not, get your local bike shop to get it touch with Giant, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that. One way or the other, if you really want a Glory frame, you can get one from Giant. But the frame will probably cost about the same as the Sunday.

Nov 9, 2005
yea i there is a shop in town that gets giant bikes, their not my normal shop but i can go there and give it a try and see what price they could get me for a glory frame. Do you think the glory would be worth the extra .8 inches of travel that it has over the sunday?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
yea i there is a shop in town that gets giant bikes, their not my normal shop but i can go there and give it a try and see what price they could get me for a glory frame. Do you think the glory would be worth the extra .8 inches of travel that it has over the sunday?

i wouldn't pick a bike necessarily just because it had an extra .8" of travel.

Nov 9, 2005
i wouldnt take the glory because of the extra .8 inches of travel, but im thinking that it does have a higher bb height which in an area like SB where there a lot of rocky trails that may be something to look at. Both geometries look good to me and its now gonna be a matter of price and availability.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I've ridden both back to back. I own a Sunday and one of my best mates rides a Glory. Basically I can't tell the difference between them. The Glory is maybe a touch more agile and hoppable. Thats about it really.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I have not ridden a Glory back to back with a Sunday, but I have had several Sunday riders take a spin on my Glory. It's not a fair comparison, because the shocks weren't tuned exactly the same, parts spec wasn't identical...etc, but they felt that the Glory was plusher and felt more like a traditional DH bike than the Sunday.

I agree with what some of the earlier posts say in regards to suspension components. You get the best from Fox with the Giant, which is part of the reason I went with it. The rest of the parts spec isn't phenomenal, though. The parts spec on the top of the line Sunday is good. If both bikes are being puchased for MSRP, then the top of the line Sunday is probably a better deal. Yes, it is more expensive, but you're getting combo pricing on expensive components you might end up putting on the Glory later on.

Some of the part spec mistakes (or $ savers) on the Glory are:
Tires and tubes
Bar and Stem
Headset
Grips
Brakes
Cassette
Crankset

The tires and brakes were the biggest issues for me. Other Glory owners warned me about the tires before I ordered the bikes, but I tried them anyway. Ripped both sidewalls before I was a mile off the lift. Luckily they didn't last long enough to get me far away from the lift.

The brakes are the lower-end Hayes. They do have nice, wide levers, but if you're used to high end hydraulic discs, these will dissapoint you. I replaced them with Hayes Mags with some aftermarket parts, and spent the whole season bleeding them.

The bar is heavy and narrow. OEM pricing must have been great. The stem is also heavy, and cannot get an adequate grip on the steer tube. It moved on me constantly. If you're used to a bolt-on stem, you'll probably wind up upgrading. Go-Ride and Risse make boxxer pattern upper crown upgrades for the Fox.

The grips are Giant patterned lock on knock offs. They're alright, but you'll probably want whatever you're used to.

The headset combination is really strange. 1.5 lower and 1.125 top. The lower cup is an unsealed, loose-ball combination. Be very careful when taking the fork off, I had all the balls fall out and scatter. I replaced it with an E13 reducer system.

The cassette is an average SRAM unit. You may want to upgrade it to save weight or to change the gear spread based on the courses you ride. The rest of the drivetrain is pretty solid.

The crankset is super heavy. Stiff and sturdy, but not weight-efficient. You decide.

It's a great bike, but it's not perfect.

Nov 9, 2005
I was probably going to order just the frame of either bike because i have most of theother parts i want already picked out. The reviews are great, thanks again.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I was probably going to order just the frame of either bike because i have most of theother parts i want already picked out. The reviews are great, thanks again.
Ask the local Giant shop to see if Giant has any closeout 06 frames left. You could get a sweet deal on one that way. Understand if you do get an 06 frame that it will come with a Fox DHX4.0. The 07 frames come with the 5.0.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The Sunday Team only comes with a DHX 3.0 rear shock though, which does not have Compression adjust on it, which is kind of a bummer since the bike is over $4k.
If the shock is valved correctly, I don't think the other adjustments are so necessary. I had a 7 Point w/ the 5th element 3 way. I swapped out for a friend's 5 way (from his 7 point) when my shock needed to go in for service, and honestly couldn't tell the difference when I had his shock set per DW's recommendations. Granted, with the extra knobs, you can make some adjustments for the terrain you're riding, but much of the range of adjustments is to adjust the shock to the bike, and that's not needed if it's valved correctly, IMO.

Nov 9, 2005
If the shock is valved correctly, I don't think the other adjustments are so necessary. I had a 7 Point w/ the 5th element 3 way. I swapped out for a friend's 5 way (from his 7 point) when my shock needed to go in for service, and honestly couldn't tell the difference when I had his shock set per DW's recommendations. Granted, with the extra knobs, you can make some adjustments for the terrain you're riding, but much of the range of adjustments is to adjust the shock to the bike, and that's not needed if it's valved correctly, IMO.

True, but on some reviews i read it stated that the glory had a problem with blowing through its travel too fast because the 4.0 doesnt have a bottom out control.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I've got a Glory here in SB that you guys are more than welcome to check out (no trail riding obviously) Also, I work at Bobs and we can get both the Glory frame and complete if stock is available.

Nov 9, 2005
Bobs was the shop that i found off of the glory website that was a dealer in Santa Barbara and i was planning on going there this weekend when i got off of school.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
I've got a Glory here in SB that you guys are more than welcome to check out (no trail riding obviously) Also, I work at Bobs and we can get both the Glory frame and complete if stock is available.
Yo man, i dont know about out there, but at my bike shop and all on the east coast you cannot buy the glory frame.You HAVE to buy it complete.