Quantcast

sunday world cup

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have always liked the no-pedal spec on high-end bikes. If you are that level of rider you have more than just a preference of either SPD/flat, you will choose either SPD/Time/C Bros if you ride clipped or DX/Atomic/Wellgo/Tioga/ the list goes on and on...

Cheap bikes come with cheap pedals and high-end bikes should come with no pedals.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
yeh but its kinda assumed if your riding at that level then you have pedals to replace them with and also that you have the ability to blow out the bairings in a set of pedals really quickly with hard riding. so they provide spares.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
punkassean said:
Cheap bikes come with cheap pedals and high-end bikes should come with no pedals.
but you have to admit, the idea of them including both sets is very nice. although on the other hand, that jacks up the price of the bike a little bit.

seeing as i piece together my bikes myself and i won't be buying a complete Sunday, it doesn't affect me much anyway. but if i were buying a fully built, brand new bike, i'd want new pedals to go along with it. so i think it's nice they include both. just sell the ones you don't want to a buddy for 50 bucks.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
new pedals are overrated man. if i get a new set of pedals with a bike (if i ever buy one built again) then my old ones are going on dont care about mud or blood adds charecter i say. rock your old kickass well used and well broken in pedals instead of the new cheapos that come with the rigs.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
me89 said:
new pedals are overrated man. if i get a new set of pedals with a bike (if i ever buy one built again) then my old ones are going on dont care about mud or blood adds charecter i say. rock your old kickass well used and well broken in pedals instead of the new cheapos that come with the rigs.
New cheapos? Hmmm.. lets see last time I checked Easton Flatboys were like the second most expensive pedal on the market? And Mallet C clipless seem to be extremeley nice as well. Ill gladly take either of them over my shimano Dx clipless...

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
punkassean said:
I have always liked the no-pedal spec on high-end bikes. If you are that level of rider you have more than just a preference of either SPD/flat, you will choose either SPD/Time/C Bros if you ride clipped or DX/Atomic/Wellgo/Tioga/ the list goes on and on...

Well...I guess IH is stupid for trying to spec a bike with the best flat pedals AND the best clipless pedals on the market and trying to make all the finicky DH ers happy...I'm sure they all would have been much more content throwing down $110.00 after buying the bike for DX or atomic pedals (what you mentioned) which both happen to blow goats for quarters by the way....I guess you should fire todd and become the new badass product manager....

not sure what your'e getting at here, and maybe i'm taking it the wrong way, but I think they're doing a fantastic job....correct me if I took your post the wrong way...I've been drinking carlsbad chronic's on draft all night y0!!

IC

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
biker3 said:
New cheapos? Hmmm.. lets see last time I checked Easton Flatboys were like the second most expensive pedal on the market? And Mallet C clipless seem to be extremeley nice as well. Ill gladly take either of them over my shimano Dx clipless...
There are probably over 20 pedals more expensive than Easton Flatboys. Flatboys are about $80-$90.

A few of the Syncors pedals, a few of the NYC freeride pedals, etc are all over $100 and some are close to $200. Thats about 6 just off the top of my head. The Flatboys are good pedals but they are not considered an expensive pedal. Yes they cost a lot but there are a lot of other MORE expensive.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The bike was spec'd w/ both Eastons and Mallet's b/c it is a Team Replica bike. Sammus ran Eastons last year and Bryn & Matheiu ran Mallets. Also, in some countries it's harder to get top of the line components thru distributors so we include them w/ the bike.

-ska todd

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ska todd said:
The bike was spec'd w/ both Eastons and Mallet's b/c it is a Team Replica bike. Sammus ran Eastons last year and Bryn & Matheiu ran Mallets. Also, in some countries it's harder to get top of the line components thru distributors so we include them w/ the bike.

-ska todd
Don't you think you are taking the "team replica" thing a little too far? ;)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, how difficult can it be first to sell two sets of great pedals if you don't like them. I am sure if you look at what you pay for them OEM with the bike you can sell them and make a profit. All power to Todd for selling a bike with two sets of pedals.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Kanter said:
There are probably over 20 pedals more expensive than Easton Flatboys. Flatboys are about $80-$90.

A few of the Syncors pedals, a few of the NYC freeride pedals, etc are all over $100 and some are close to $200. Thats about 6 just off the top of my head. The Flatboys are good pedals but they are not considered an expensive pedal. Yes they cost a lot but there are a lot of other MORE expensive.
Oh my bad I mixed up the flatboys and the culleys, The culleys are upwards of $150 if im not mistaken? And why is it a big deal? The bike is 5k which is the same price as any other top level DH rig that doesn't come with the pedals, Might as well take them. The cannondale Gemini DH team replica, is 6k and it comes with some CRAPPY cannondale platforms, The Giant DH team is 5500 and it doesnt even come with pedals. Its just more bang for the buck if you ask me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
slobeone said:
I can't believe that anyone would complain about getting two sets of pedals.
No kidding!

Seriously, this is OEM spec here, you aren't paying even remotely close to retail for the parts. These pedals are practically free. I don't even understand what's wrong here - likely, the bike wouldn't be any cheaper if it came without pedals. Use them if you like them, sell them if you don't.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Man that is so stupid...I just saw that the Sunday complete bike actually comes with TIRES. Can you believe it? I mean those things raise the price of the bike so much, and everyone knows that REAL riders like to pick their own tires. Yeesh, what was IH thinking. It probably comes with grips and a seat too...darn that IH, they're stealing my freedom of choice!!!!

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
OGRipper said:
Man that is so stupid...I just saw that the Sunday complete bike actually comes with TIRES. Can you believe it? I mean those things raise the price of the bike so much, and everyone knows that REAL riders like to pick their own tires. Yeesh, what was IH thinking. It probably comes with grips and a seat too...darn that IH, they're stealing my freedom of choice!!!!
Seriously...it has a fork on there too! What if I want something else? And then, to top it all off they're forcing everyone to use a handlebar with a bend and width that THEY picked out. It probably comes with a seatpost clamp, too; how do they know which one the real riders like anyway? :D

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
jesus!

what kind of riding level are we talking about here!?!

i don't know ANYONE who can ride without pedals. god save the queen.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Racer-X said:
i don't know ANYONE who can ride without pedals. god save the queen.
I had to ride across town once without pedals. I just cocked the tips of my toes in and pedaled the crank arm around. It was slow but I got there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
heikkihall said:
I had to ride across town once without pedals. I just cocked the tips of my toes in and pedaled the crank arm around. It was slow but I got there.
...think of the weight savings!

Why hasn't someone told Steve Pete about this?!