Quantcast

***Sundays GMT***

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
100 billionty percent correct.
Here it’s rocks, chip seal, and massive temperature swings, like -30 to +30 F in a few hours.
Sometimes just hitting a pothole when it is -20 will absolutely create cracks, and certainly propagate them from existing rock chips.
No salt here equals gravel.

Filling chips as soon as they form from rock strikes is key, it’s really easy to do.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
What is the presumed correlation between Colorado and windshield cracks?
1710715843321.png

We don't have inspection in MT, so both my cars have cracks that run the width of my field of vision...

I suppose I'd replace them if Johnny Law said so...

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Were those two cars differently shaped up front?
A lot of it can be attributed to aerodynamics.
Absolutely, One was a wagon and the other suv. I think the SUV has a more upright windscreen. However I have had some hard hits to the glass on the XC70 without any damage. Where on the other there were even these small holes I didn't even hear happening. Why I just suspected the glas also being weaker.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've bought 3 windshields (for two cars) in 14 years out here. it's ridiculous.
when I got my new vehicle I sat in awe of the clear line of sight. it was the best part of the whole day.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm not sure how many windshields we've gone through in almost 20 years. 5 or 6? Just had the one in the Mazda replaced for the second time. Jeep had at least two, Subaru had one I think. *Knock on wood* After almost 5 years the Leaf hasn't developed a crack yet.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Were those two cars differently shaped up front?
A lot of it can be attributed to aerodynamics.
Around here you couldn't find an Element with an intact windshield. We had to replace two over the 10 years we had it. Found out that the Canadian version windshield was thinner than the US.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
when I got my new vehicle I sat in awe of the clear line of sight. it was the best part of the whole day.
Haha, when I rolled off the lot in Charlotte with my new (to me) MINT truck, I was following Jstuhlman to Wilson Creek. Within five minutes, a gravel truck hit a pothole in the lane next to me, sending a nice little pebble into my flawless windshield.